Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
YB sickness Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 2:06 am

» come join us
YB sickness Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:21 am

» Weather today
YB sickness Emptyby David Yesterday at 9:45 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
YB sickness Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
YB sickness Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
YB sickness Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
YB sickness Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
YB sickness Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
YB sickness Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) YB sickness 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 26 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 26 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.YB sickness Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
YB sickness Vote_lcapYB sickness Voting_barYB sickness Vote_rcap 
David
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222847 messages in 14006 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
YB sickness Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
YB sickness Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

YB sickness

Go down 
+3
backflipper
David
Rene A
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

YB sickness Empty
PostSubject: YB sickness   YB sickness EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 8:33 am

just thought some members would be interested in this

This "disease" which has become the scourge of Young Bird Derbies throughout the world is thought by many to have as its cause the infection by Adenovirus which then "opens the door" to infection by bacteria, most notably Escherichia coli. It is then thought that E. coli causes the symptoms such as initially a lack of appetite and later to vomiting and in general "shutting down the gut".
Neither feed nor water can pass along the gastro-intestinal tract. The bird may be seen sitting there with its crop full of water which is the reason Dr David Marx calls this disease "stagnant fluid in crop". The affected bird will try to vomit although its crop may be empty. The attempt to vomit must be the result of severe nausea.

The mucoid droppings are typical and are seen as one checks the perches early in the morning for vomited feed. Compare them to normal ones.

Here is a bird who closes its eyes as much as it dares to in order to conserve fluid. Producing fluid droppings without being able to get water from the crop into the intestinal tract leads inevitably to dehydration.

Being unable to absorb nutrients through the gastrointestinal tract leads to a shortage of energy which this bird tries to retain by fluffing its feathers for increased insulation. But all these measures by the bird will prove to be in vain. Any available carbohydrates in the form of glycogen, then fat, and finally muscle tissue are burned for providing the energy to stay warm.

Death will provide relief for this bird which has struggled in vain. Almost no breast muscle is left and life of this completely emaciated pigeon has come to an end prematurely.

I regret that I had to observe the above sequence of events many times and have become very sad because of it. I wish I could prevent this from happening and am looking for the cause like many others.

One point of view is that Adenovirus itself does not seem to cause disease in pigeons except that it allows other, normal bacterial inhabitants of the intestinal tract to invade the bird's body and cause disease.

• But why would this dreaded "Young Bird Sickness (YBS)" strike most often when young birds of different lofts are mixed and put into one loft as it occurs in one loft young bird derbies?

o And why are some birds affected when other birds seem to stay healthy?

o Why are birds from some lofts more affected than birds from other lofts?

The answer must lie in the immune system which is rather immature in the young pigeon. Antibodies against various microbes with which the breeding pigeon was confronted are deposited in the egg yolk and used by the developing youngster. Antibodies also pass via the crop milk to the young pigeon after it has hatched , similar to the way antibodies in colostrum are transferred to new-born mammals.

Some parallels to mammals can be drawn:

• There is a limited and short time period during which the antibodies in the crop milk escape digestion and can be taken up directly by the circulation. Feeding crop milk after this time period has elapsed will not transfer any immunity to the bird because the antibodies present in the crop milk are digested by the now older pigeon.

• The adult animal can only develop resistance to the micro-organisms with which it was confronted at some time and against which it had to develop immunity by manufacturing antibodies. The adult pigeon cannot put antibodies into the crop milk which it does not have.

• Keeping animals free of many germs through either constant disinfection or the administration of antibiotics will lower their immune status and also lower the amount of antibodies they can put into the crop milk.

• Less antibodies in the crop milk translates into a youngster whose immune status is compromised.

Lack of immunity to the various microbes from different lofts appears to be the cause of young bird disease. On one extreme, germ-free animals are much more susceptible to disease than their conventional counterparts. Organisms such as Bacillus subtilis and Micrococcus luteus are harmless to conventional animals but are harmful to the germ-free variety. It would be difficult to infect normal animals with Vibrio cholerae and Shigella dysenteriae but these bacteria can infect germ-free animals readily. Germ-free or gnotobiotic animals require a diet supplying additional nutrients such as vitamin K and some vitamins of the B complex. These vitamins are normally synthesized by various micro-organisms in the intestinal tract of healthy pigeons. It can therefore be concluded that the conventional animal derives considerable benefits from its gastro-intestinal flora of micro-organisms.

At the other extreme are pigeons that are raised without antibiotics in a loft with dried droppings or even dosed with microbes in their drinking water. The hens, being constantly exposed to a multitude of microbes, are therefore forced to develop immunity to these microbes. Some of the resultant antibodies are included in the egg yolk and give the just hatched youngster passive immunity to the microbes it will encounter in this loft. There will be a constant exposure of this youngster to the microbial inhabitants in the loft because the adults eat the occasional droppings in order to benefit from the vitamins contained therein, and the young bird will begin to develop its own antibodies to these microbes resulting in the development of active immunity.

Studies suggest that this aquired immunity is active not only against the micro-organisms which caused its development. Some activity is also present against unrelated microbes such as viruses. There is indeed experimental evidence that an encounter with various bacteria may lead to increased immunity in general(British Medical Journal).

Each youngster arriving at a one loft derby represents a bag filled with the various microbes present in the loft of its origin. We now mix all those hundreds of bags and their contents resulting in a super micro-flora. Although each youngster may be immune to the micro-flora of its loft of origin, it is now suddenly confronted with micro-organisms from all those other lofts. It may be overwhelmed by these microbes, especially if its own immune status was compromised by not having been exposed to many microbes where it was born and raised. With a healthy immune system, however, there will be some immunity to these new micro-organisms even before the synthesis of specific antibodies against them.

Dr. Ludger Kamphausen ("Die Brieftaube", 22.Juni 2002) sees YBS as a multi-factorial disease, meaning that many different microbes collectively cause this trouble. He implicates Trichomonas, Hexamita, Adenovirus, Circovirus, Herpes virus , various coliform bacteria and many others.

I do not think that it matters what name we attach to the virus(es) which can infect immunologically weak youngsters leading to YBS. Whatever its name, this virus appears to depress the immature immune system of the young pigeon further and it is now vulnerable to attack by other micro-organisms. This young bird may have had some immunity to the microbes it encountered in the loft of its origin, first passive immunity through the antibodies in the yolk and later active immunity due to actual challenges by the microbes in question. Should this acquired active immunity, however, be limited by having been raised in either an always disinfected loft or through the periodic administration of antibiotics to the breeding pigeons, the challenge by the multitude of microbes this bird encounters in, e.g., a derby loft may overwhelm it resulting in the symptoms of "young bird disease". One may instinctively reach for the readily available antibiotic and try to "cure".

Doxycycline appeared to be effective in many cases at the Alberta Classic Derby of 2001 but needed to be combined with Ridzol S in 2002 again to appear to be effective. BMD (bacitracin methylene disalicylate) also appeared to be effective for some cases in 2002 but any and all of these drugs fail because they are ineffective against the virus who could infect the bird in question due to his weak immune system which as a consequence of this infection will now be weakened further. What actually happened at the Alberta Classic in the years past was that the YBS went through the birds and abated entirely by itself in the middle of July. Any drug or combination of drugs in use at that time appeared to be very effective but proved worthless the following year.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

YB sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: YB sickness   YB sickness EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 8:50 pm

interesting reading rene, one of my ybs has been ill for a while but i dont know whats wrong with it...............dont think its the yb sickness but would be gratefull if any member/s could tell me.

so is Doxycycline the cure for yb sickness or is there anything else.........?
Back to top Go down
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

YB sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: YB sickness   YB sickness EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 9:04 pm

i have used Aviform 7in1 over the last few years and not suffered with yb sickness weather it because of using this or ive just been lucky but i i do see any sighn of the YBs goin down i treat the corn & water with natural yougart for 3/4 days
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

YB sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: YB sickness   YB sickness EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 9:07 pm

hi rene, a yb i have doesnt look to be digesting its food properly......it also looks knackered and the wings are drooping/hanging down, it looks as tho its whole body has just dropped ????? cant explain really. scratch

any ideas ?
Back to top Go down
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

YB sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: YB sickness   YB sickness EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 9:17 pm

no idea mate what have you treated it for so far ? it could 1 of 4 things (1) yb sickness (2) worm (3) coci (4) sour crop these are the thins i would treat for i may be wrong in saying that but thats the way i would go about it and try and keeo it in a seperate place away from the others
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

YB sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: YB sickness   YB sickness EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 9:26 pm

have seperated it already rene, but havnt treated for anything so far as i didnt want to treat without knowing the cause............ive been to the local corn man about 6 times because he would tell me whats wrong and have some treatment to cure it but he hasnt been open for weeks for some reason so im stumped.......... scratch
Back to top Go down
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

YB sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: YB sickness   YB sickness EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 9:37 pm

i would say try natural youghart 1st mate 2-3 days in the water and on the corn have you opened its beak and had a sniff as if there is a bad smell comin from it i would say its sour crop
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

YB sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: YB sickness   YB sickness EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 9:48 pm

thought sour crop myself, posted it on the site but got no replies.............when it first started it seemed like every time it ate it hunched up ....... scratch
Back to top Go down
backflipper
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

YB sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: YB sickness   YB sickness EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 10:21 pm

DAVID wrote:
thought sour crop myself, posted it on the site but got no replies.............when it first started it seemed like every time it ate it hunched up ....... scratch
holding corn is young bird sickness ,no appetite ect slimy watery droppings they spew corn up and others pik it up and get it , nifuramycin ,doxycyclin , will supress it as will many others dont feed, it if its still got corn in ,heres a usefull site to read ,adenovirus is a sort of young bird sicknessss , http://www.chevita.com/en/pigeons/symptoms/index.php
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

YB sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: YB sickness   YB sickness EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 10:57 pm

Very Happy David the oly cure for ybs is in a black bag...I suffered a bit with it last year I think its cause I had bought in a few youngsters and there was quite a mix, this year mostly all mine except for a few and the exchange birds, so havent had it, but I can tell you the ones that had it and recovered were fed for nothing as they were soon lost. I supose it is tough for healthy birds to race never mind ones that have been Ill...But since I have been using cider vinegar in the water I have had much better health in the loft I now use it every day.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

YB sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: YB sickness   YB sickness EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 11:04 pm

hi martyn, do you think it is YBS ? funny you should say about introducing ybs into the loft, this year i have introduced birds from several lofts............. No
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

YB sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: YB sickness   YB sickness EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 11:05 pm

i put a y/b in bin today, going light eating small corn slow, best straight out of way from others
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

YB sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: YB sickness   YB sickness EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 11:10 pm

yes i had one about 6 weeks ago like that steve, it never seemed to thrive since weaning so it was got rid of............ No all in all out of all this years ybs ive had 3 which went poorly, so to say its the most ybs ive ever had 3 out of 30 isnt too bad i dont think..........or is it.?
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

YB sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: YB sickness   YB sickness EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 11:12 pm

thats not bad david ive had 3 aswell, this 1 was weaned weeks ago
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

YB sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: YB sickness   YB sickness EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 11:20 pm

steve, i know this is changing the subject but what are you feeding ybs on ?
Back to top Go down
Feral's-Loft
Chipping
Chipping

YB sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: YB sickness   YB sickness EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 8:30 pm

winter im going to get some bread from lidle as they throw it in skip at weekend,fed it last year and they love the brown
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

YB sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: YB sickness   YB sickness EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 8:40 pm

are you taking the piss
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

YB sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: YB sickness   YB sickness EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 8:56 pm

when i went to the local corn shop the other week there was the usual ferals/strays flying around, as usual i had a bag of old/uneaten corn in the car which i have to throw down for them whenever i go there...................they were eating the biggest pile of corn they must have seen in their lives when a woman in the next shop came out and threw them their usual supply of bread, when they saw this they left my corn and went for the bread.......... affraid couldnt beleive it. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

YB sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: YB sickness   YB sickness Empty

Back to top Go down

YB sickness
Page 1 of 1