Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:13 am

» Good Morning
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:12 am

» come join us
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) It's been a very hard week at the lofts. 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 28 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 27 Guests :: 1 Bot

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.It's been a very hard week at the lofts. Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. Vote_lcapIt's been a very hard week at the lofts. Voting_barIt's been a very hard week at the lofts. Vote_rcap 
David
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. Vote_lcapIt's been a very hard week at the lofts. Voting_barIt's been a very hard week at the lofts. Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222849 messages in 14006 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

It's been a very hard week at the lofts.

Go down 
+6
peel bros
Chad
steve b
stormqueen
Mick
Gaz b
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

It's been a very hard week at the lofts. Empty
PostSubject: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Initially I was only going to the lofts for a few days, but having a very understanding girlfriend. I ended up stopping for the whole week.
Been doing 12 to 14 hours a day for the last five days.
But it's been well worth it.
The new sliding shutters on the stock loft.
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. DSCF9137
Having an engineering background, comes in very handy at times. Putting in some long hours at the lofts at this time of year usually means that we have to pack in early being on an allotment with no electricity. So I decided to put on my thinking cap on. Having a best mate like mine, sometimes comes in very handy. Because he's an hoarder of crap. This is a huge topic of disagreements between us at the lofts. But on this occasion it came in very handy.
He had a load of old solar garden lights, so I got out the soldering iron and decided to make a 17 volt solar panel.
Solar panel No1
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. DSCF9113
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. DSCF9116
So I broke 12 panels out of them garden solar lights and stuck them all together with fish tank silicone and wired them all up. I was quite amazed the day after with results. 17.5 volts on the multimeter. It worked a treat.
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. DSCF9122

Me being me, I decided to go ahead and build the wind turbine as well. So we will have a constant source of free power.
My mate already had sourced five car batteries, after a few failed attempts at making a decent rotor, I decided to hunt on the car boot and there it was. A bright yellow, brand new steel fan off an old Bedford 4 Ton Army truck. and priced at only a quid, it couldn't be better.
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. DSCF9129
I then cut a piece of chequer plate for the mounting to the motor and away we go.
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. DSCF9127
Tally ho, as they say.
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. DSCF9132
The battery bank.
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. DSCF9134
The control panel.
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. DSCF9135
Now we have lights in all the lofts and a work light for outside.
Back to top Go down
http://kjlofts.yolasite.com/about-our-birds.php
Mick
Hatchling
Hatchling
Mick

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 9:38 pm

welldone how much did it cost to make the wind turbine
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 10:47 pm

About £30 quid mate.
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 11:03 pm

that;s great it take;s me all my time to dunt a nail in strait. Sad
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 11:17 pm

Lol. When you've been around as long as I have, you learn a thing or two.
The price of a good education.
Wet your nail, before hammering it in, it works a treat. lol!
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 11:23 pm

gary.
knowing my luck. the nail would slip out of my hand.
and the hammer would smack me fingers. affraid
a good tip gary i will tell my son to do it.
better his finger;s then mine.
john
Back to top Go down
steve b
Hatchling
Hatchling
steve b

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 11:33 pm

cracking job gary
when you coming to fit mine
its time of year when we need them lights
Back to top Go down
Chad
Hatchling
Hatchling
Chad

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 3:24 am

really nice job.
Is there no worry of the weather affecting the altenator?
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 7:43 am

i,m on an allottment also,i would love something like this but i would know where to start
Back to top Go down
lvlasked
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 8:50 am

nice work Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://cing.co.uk/
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 10:05 am

There is always a fear of the weather affecting the alternator, I know I got a belt off it the other night. I an just in the process of making a cover for it to protect it from the elements. I have also sprayed everything with silicone spray.
You can also do it with it solar panels with a single battery. We have also used 12v led lighting strips which give off just right amount we need, plus they have a low power consumption. If you can wire a plug, then you can do this. It's that easy.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 3:38 pm

excellent idea gary, im sure some of our members would like you to break it down in simple tearms how youve done this amd what parts are needed..............im sure i would and my lofts at home, but this would be easier and free to use,
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 7:01 pm

Leave it with me mate and I will certainly do that. I've also got another few techi bits in the pipeline.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 8:23 pm

thanks gary, look forward to seeing it.............
Back to top Go down
Mick
Hatchling
Hatchling
Mick

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 9:37 pm

yeh i would like 2 see this
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 11:51 pm

I'll sort a diagram or two out tomorrow. But it's really easy when you know how. Without going into physics and stuff. A simplified explanation is this. Any motor than can convert energy into torque can be reversed to convert torque into energy. Meaning lets say for instance one of those 6 or 12 volt model car motors. It takes 6 or 12 volts of power to turn the motor. Lets say you removed this motor and clamped it in a vice. Then attached a multi meter to the wires and put the drive gear into a cordless drill and spun it clockwise with the drill. You would see the meter start clocking up volts of power. Because torque turns the motor. Inside the motor there is a copper coil made from copper windings, which is sat between 2 and 4 magnets. this causes friction between the magnets which is then converted into energy, i.e voltage.
IF YOU DO EXPERIMENT, TAKE CARE NOT TOUCH THE METAL CASING OR ANY BARE WIRES. Especially if connected to a battery as small as some of these motors are. It can generate a surge of high voltage that could KILL..
In a nutshell, that's all there is to it. Wire it up, clamp it to a pole or 3x2 put a propellar on it and it has the capability to trickle charge a car battery all day long.
Back to top Go down
Chad
Hatchling
Hatchling
Chad

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 1:20 am

Gary Burgess wrote:
I'll sort a diagram or two out tomorrow. But it's really easy when you know how. Without going into physics and stuff. A simplified explanation is this. Any motor than can convert energy into torque can be reversed to convert torque into energy. Meaning lets say for instance one of those 6 or 12 volt model car motors. It takes 6 or 12 volts of power to turn the motor. Lets say you removed this motor and clamped it in a vice. Then attached a multi meter to the wires and put the drive gear into a cordless drill and spun it clockwise with the drill. You would see the meter start clocking up volts of power. Because torque turns the motor. Inside the motor there is a copper coil made from copper windings, which is sat between 2 and 4 magnets. this causes friction between the magnets which is then converted into energy, i.e voltage.
IF YOU DO EXPERIMENT, TAKE CARE NOT TOUCH THE METAL CASING OR ANY BARE WIRES. Especially if connected to a battery as small as some of these motors are. It can generate a surge of high voltage that could KILL..
In a nutshell, that's all there is to it. Wire it up, clamp it to a pole or 3x2 put a propellar on it and it has the capability to trickle charge a car battery all day long.
and all night unlike solar panels. I like the turbine.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 9:53 am

yes chad very true...........

looking forward to the diagram gary, would like to have a goo and make one.....and im sure ray will be interested too as he was having a bit of a problem early in the season sourcing power for his ets
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 10:02 am

project
Above is a link for some diagrams that I have done, they are a bit crude, but am sure they will enable you to get the idea.
In the past, we have had huge problems with birds somehow leaving the squabs in the night and during those cold winter months they soon become chilled and die.
Light also gives a huge advantage when pairing up as it extends the daylight and seems to really speed up the pairing process as well as enabling the parents to come down for food and drink during the darkness hours. Otherwise they would have to wait over ten hours for their next feed.
I have also a few tricks up my sleeve for a computer system in the loft.
Back to top Go down
Mick
Hatchling
Hatchling
Mick

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 3:28 pm

web cant be found it says
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 4:02 pm

It's on there, but for some unknown reason it wont let me show the page. It might infringe some law they have or something. I'll have to think how to do it another way maybe put the pics on another page and link them. Bear with me, I'll let ya know when I've done it.
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 4:05 pm

It's working now.
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 4:09 pm

They won't let me show it. How strange, maybe cause i'm giving away secrets. lol
Back to top Go down
Chad
Hatchling
Hatchling
Chad

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 5:46 pm

It has to be the power company blocking the info Gary. The power company has a monopoly if we cant build solar and wind power generators. cheers
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 7:09 pm

let me try it this way.LOL
It's been a very hard week at the lofts. Turbinejpg0001
This is basically it. Motor, which could even be a motor from a cordless drill. If using an alternator you will need a constant live wire from the battery. A charge controller to prevent the battery from overcharging. an inline fuse, toggle switch then live and neutral go to light. It's that simple. You could even make a swivel head on the clamp and put a tail on it to make it move. Where we are are we have a prevailing wind, so we don't need to move much.
you may be able to right click it and save it to desktop and enlarge it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's been a very hard week at the lofts.   It's been a very hard week at the lofts. Empty

Back to top Go down

It's been a very hard week at the lofts.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next