Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 2:06 am

» come join us
WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:21 am

» Weather today
WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY Emptyby David Yesterday at 9:45 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 28 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 28 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY Vote_lcapWHY PAIR UP SO EARLY Voting_barWHY PAIR UP SO EARLY Vote_rcap 
David
WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY Vote_lcapWHY PAIR UP SO EARLY Voting_barWHY PAIR UP SO EARLY Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222847 messages in 14006 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY

Go down 
+3
Ginger
friendsloft
peel bros
7 posters
AuthorMessage
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY Empty
PostSubject: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 7:40 pm

just wondering why if you are paired up you do so this early..i myself pair up in feb and i think it makes no difference to you ybs ,this is just my opinion but i would like to know why you do it...
Back to top Go down
friendsloft
Youngbird
Youngbird
friendsloft

PostSubject: Re: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Ray Ive always paired up early , one reason is to take advantage of the natural darkness, ie virtually 12 hr days 12 hr nights so no need to put the birds on artificial darkness till later on the young birds by then have already started to drop body feathers , its just something ive always done and thats my reason behind it
Ken
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/friendsloft/index.htm
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 7:52 pm

I pair up as I like early young birds and I dont breed anything from may allthough they are natural they only sit pot eggs through the race season as not to take anything out of them.
Back to top Go down
redrog
Youngbird
Youngbird
redrog

PostSubject: Re: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:01 pm

wondered bout this myself asked around what best time to breed if your not going on darkness lots of answers none that really hit home what are you thoughts?
Back to top Go down
friendsloft
Youngbird
Youngbird
friendsloft

PostSubject: Re: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi redrog i would breed as early as you can, and use the natural darkness as i said young will go into a body moult natural
Ken
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:14 pm

I do it for no other reason than to try and get the edge over the other competitors.
By time racing comes, you have a more mature bird that is more capable of competing. The trick is to get them to moult, with the light they have usually casted the first one in the nest and occasionally two at the weaning stage.
Plus get half of a chance to educate um before the hoards of yb hit the skies.
Back to top Go down
http://kjlofts.yolasite.com/about-our-birds.php
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:16 pm

hi ken, so if i wanted my ybs to be moulted out for yb racing and be like darkness ybs, but keep them natural......when would i need to pair up ?
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:19 pm

I race young birds on darkness they go on dark from 14th of march no matter when they are bred early or later they go on it march till the 1st june I find they last long enough to race and still go through a normal moult ie flights,

Last edited by Ginger on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:20 pm

does it make any difference to datk birds if they are weaned onto darkness or put on when the clocks alter...? which is best ?
Back to top Go down
redrog
Youngbird
Youngbird
redrog

PostSubject: Re: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:21 pm

friendsloft wrote:
Hi redrog i would breed as early as you can, and use the natural darkness as i said young will go into a body moult natural
Ken
cheers ken paired last week so hope they do the biz asap Smile
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:23 pm

friendsloft wrote:
Ray Ive always paired up early , one reason is to take advantage of the natural darkness, ie virtually 12 hr days 12 hr nights so no need to put the birds on artificial darkness till later on the young birds by then have already started to drop body feathers , its just something ive always done and thats my reason behind it
Ken
i know that is is supposed to be the best way ken and i believe it could well be,your not putting as much stress on them doing this.the reason i,m asking this question is that a lot of fanciers tell me these early bred ybs are better but i beg to differ,again this is just down to my experiences but its good to hear others ideas and theories about this
Back to top Go down
friendsloft
Youngbird
Youngbird
friendsloft

PostSubject: Re: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:23 pm

David they would not be like full darkness youngsters, but they would have gone into a light body moult, you would need to have youngsters hatching out end dec to get the full benefit of the natural 50/50 split that is what you are aiming for when you put them on the darkness system
Ken
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:24 pm

It doesn`t seem to efect mine I dont no about other times as thats what I do and I dont do to bad with young birds
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:26 pm

but they would be able to race the full yb program , and not be dropping to bits and have to stop racing?
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:34 pm

Thats right why I do it this way as I will not race a bird that is moulting its bars when I send a young bird to a race it must be what I think is perfect or it dont go. they enough to worry about without try to get home without all their feathers

Last edited by Ginger on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
friendsloft
Youngbird
Youngbird
friendsloft

PostSubject: Re: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:34 pm

id dont think you would get to the longer races they would be a bit loose, but u should get 5 to 6 races s out of them.
The other point, i put mine on artificial darkness when the clocks go forward and they are taken off 21st june but i keep to the 50/50 split, once taken of darkness they are given a week to climatise themselfs before training starts, this is just my way of doing the system and it works for me
Ken
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:40 pm

so dont you do 8 hours of day light ken, i remove boards at 9 am then close up at 5 pm which is 8 hours, do you lighten for longer ?
Back to top Go down
friendsloft
Youngbird
Youngbird
friendsloft

PostSubject: Re: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:44 pm

David my shutters are taken of at night, so the birds wake up to natural light, so say its lilight at 5am my shutters go on at 5pm, when its light at 4am the shutters go back on at 4pm and so on keeping the 50/50 split
Ken
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:51 pm

ah right i see, ive read something along those lines before about removing the boards when its dark, so they wake up to natural light, by doing 12 hours 50/50 makes the routine easier i think.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 9:01 pm

i pair up on 21 jan and ybs go on darkness around 21st march and take off gradualy over 1 week around 10th june my birds get 11 hours of lite and i put the shutters up about 6pm .......i tried the natural dark my first season 3 seasons ago and was quite happy with it but dont think the birds were any better or worse for it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY   WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY Empty

Back to top Go down

WHY PAIR UP SO EARLY
Page 1 of 1