Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
ask the vet Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:13 am

» Good Morning
ask the vet Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:12 am

» come join us
ask the vet Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
ask the vet Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
ask the vet Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
ask the vet Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
ask the vet Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
ask the vet Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
ask the vet Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) ask the vet 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 32 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 32 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.ask the vet Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
ask the vet Vote_lcapask the vet Voting_barask the vet Vote_rcap 
David
barnie
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222849 messages in 14006 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
ask the vet Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
ask the vet Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

ask the vet

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mick
Hatchling
Hatchling
Mick

ask the vet Empty
PostSubject: ask the vet   ask the vet EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 7:23 am

Ask The Vet: theme questions (adenovirus type I or young bird sickness)

Every four weeks on a Saturday, we will select some very interesting questions and answers concerning a certain topic (disease, medicines, etc.) and publish them on our homepage. Today's topic is adenovirus type I or young bird sickness.

My young birds have come down with a serious case of young bird sickness, ie they have crop retention and they're also vomiting with very watery and slimey droppings. What would your words of wisdom be? And how would you treat this?

Young bird sickness is caused by an adenovirus typical for pigeons (type I). This primary virus causes damage to the liver and the intestines. The liver and intestinal inflammation causes diarrhoea. The hepatitis also causes vomiting and the lack of digestion of food. In a lot of cases other agents such as Escherichia coli (a bacteria) or hexamita (protozoön) take advantage of the situation and result in more intestinal inflammation and diarrhoea. E. coli is normally present in the intestines of ALL pigeons. There is no such thing as a cure for E. coli. This is the same for other bacteria like staphylococs, streptococs, etc... There is no treatment against the adenovirus although I have seen that pigeons vaccinated for paratyphus are less susceptible for the disease (and all kinds of diseases). Off course you can treat for the secondary infections (treatment for E. coli and hexamita) after clinical examination of the birds and exclusion of other possible infections. If the antibiotics do not help, it could be wise to do an antibiogram of the E. coli as there is a tremendous antibiotic resistance rate in E. coli. At the same time it is wise to give light easily digestible food and perhaps also a liver protection like sedochol, biochol or...
(Ruben Lanckriet)

My young pigeons have jelly droppings and still have food in their crops in the morning and they look terrible. Can you help me please?

This is probably an indication of an adenovirus infection or young bird sickness. Other possibilities could be trichomoniasis, candidiasis or herpes. Adenovirus attacks the liver and so can be the cause of bad droppings, vomiting and nausea. Usually E. coli or hexamita takes advantage of the situation and causes enteritis. That's why the treatment is mostly directed to these secondary infections. I also always give a liver protection like f.e. sedochol with the treatment.
(Ruben Lanckriet)

I have noticed early in the morning when it is still dark and i switch the lights on in the loft i find that some of the young birds have been vomiting during the night (i think it is the young birds) what can be causing this ?

This is probably caused by adenovirus type I. The vomiting occurs because of the virus effecting the liver.
(Ruben Lanckriet)

Do you believe that we in Malta have been losing pigeons in great numbers due to Adenovirus or as I believe due to some other disease like for example Paratyphoid ?

Naturally you can lose pigeons when they have a paratyphoid or adenovirus. But I think the biggest cause is respiratory problems. When the pigeons have ornithosis they also have problems orienting correctly.
(Dr. Vincent Schroeder)

The birds drink water and the water stays in the crop. The birds crop swells and the bird will die. Often if you try to squeeze or drain the crop the bird will die. There is no food just water. Could you advise?

This could be adenovirus, canker and/or a yeast infection. Best advice is to check the birds for these parasites and do an appropriate treatment. The adeno-coli syndrome can be treated with antibiotics, sedochol, electrolytes or light digestable food. Canker with nitro-imidazoles and yeast infections with amphotericin B or nystatine (depending on the kind of fungus).
(Ruben Lanckriet)

My pigeons have young bird disease. What is the best natural treatment for this disease ?

As natural treatment you should certainly give liver protection - f.e. sedochol, biochol, or... - . As a natural antibiotic you could give garlic and/or a herbal tea.
(Ruben Lanckriet)

Should you have a question for one of our vets, you can fill in the form on this page. However, before submitting your question, please check the answers to the previously asked questions.

An answer should never replace a consultation. A diagnosis is impossible without a medical examination by a veterinarian. The answers serve merely as general medical information.
Back to top Go down

ask the vet
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Racing Pigeons,Show & Fancy Pigeons :: Message Forum :: General Discussions-
Jump to: