Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Young bird reluctant to come in Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:13 am

» Good Morning
Young bird reluctant to come in Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:12 am

» come join us
Young bird reluctant to come in Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Young bird reluctant to come in Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Young bird reluctant to come in Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Young bird reluctant to come in Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Young bird reluctant to come in Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
Young bird reluctant to come in Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
Young bird reluctant to come in Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Young bird reluctant to come in 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 38 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 38 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Young bird reluctant to come in Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Young bird reluctant to come in Vote_lcapYoung bird reluctant to come in Voting_barYoung bird reluctant to come in Vote_rcap 
David
Young bird reluctant to come in Vote_lcapYoung bird reluctant to come in Voting_barYoung bird reluctant to come in Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222849 messages in 14006 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Young bird reluctant to come in Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Young bird reluctant to come in Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Young bird reluctant to come in

Go down 
+6
barnie
Knackered
edgie
David
oldstrain
blueskylofts
10 posters
AuthorMessage
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Young bird reluctant to come in Empty
PostSubject: Young bird reluctant to come in   Young bird reluctant to come in EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 10:20 am

I have one young bird (in fact it is the oldest young bird I have) which seems to be getting more and more reluctant to come in after morning or afternoon exercise, or even from a training toss.

Most of the time it comes onto the landing board with the others but is always last to go through the bob wires.

This morning, I let my YBs out for their morning exercise. When I called them in for their breakfast, this particular bird just sat on the loft roof completely ignoring me.

It sat there, then walked about a bit, for over 10 minutes before I could encourage it to come in.

It has tried my patience in so many different ways that I am almost thinking of getting rid of it. But I have so few young birds that the loss of one bird equates to around 10% of my total Young Birds!

Do any of you guys have any great ideas?

Many thanks in advance.
Phil
Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Young bird reluctant to come in   Young bird reluctant to come in EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 10:25 am

hunger lol! get it in line again
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Young bird reluctant to come in   Young bird reluctant to come in EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 10:30 am

is it healthy phil, not wanting to trap or sat ignoring you is one of the first signs of illness......just a thought, hope its ok.
Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

PostSubject: Re: Young bird reluctant to come in   Young bird reluctant to come in EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 10:36 am

simple cut the food down,no morning feed let out when you know they are hungry then they will respond better includeing the culprit hope this helps. cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Young bird reluctant to come in   Young bird reluctant to come in EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 10:59 am

edgie wrote:
simple cut the food down,no morning feed let out when you know they are hungry then they will respond better includeing the culprit hope this helps. cheers

Simple answer Smile Smile but true Wink Wink for babies, a meal missed type of thing will do no harm etc but it will teach them who is master of the flock as such. cheers
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Young bird reluctant to come in   Young bird reluctant to come in EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 1:16 pm

miss a feed before letting it out. So if it's going out exercise or training a.m give it nothing the evening before. If it's still messing about after doing this a couple of times it's probably a dipstick.
If you get them on redskin peanuts just one or 2 each on trapping you'll have no bother with them going in. I kept a handful in a clear plastic bag, after a short while I just had to flap the bag at them and they trapped in seconds, takes a little bit time and patience and don't overdo the peanuts.
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Young bird reluctant to come in   Young bird reluctant to come in EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 3:39 pm

MANY thanks you all!

I don't think there is anything wrong with the bird sickness wise.

After it came in this a.m. morning, I gave it VERY little food. Let us see what happens this p,m.

Cheers everyone.
Phil
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: Young bird reluctant to come in   Young bird reluctant to come in EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 8:22 pm

if it don't come in with the rest. give it no food. don't be soft with it and give it any seeds . if it is healthy it will get the message .
Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

PostSubject: Re: Young bird reluctant to come in   Young bird reluctant to come in EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 10:48 pm

Sitting there not wanting to come in can be the early signs of Yb sickness, or similar keep a close eye on its droppings over the next few days.
If it's always been trapping and just recently not then it could be the early stages, I had it with mine last year, I was going to get rid of 2 hens as all of a sudden they just started looking at me blankly when I called them in but a week later they came down with sickness.
They both have won me cards this year so they soon pick up.
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: Young bird reluctant to come in   Young bird reluctant to come in EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 10:53 pm

bossey spot on. never like to see them not coming in
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Young bird reluctant to come in   Young bird reluctant to come in EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 12:12 am

Phil, when you call the youngsters in the ones that trap close the door and feed them after 15 mins remove the food tray call the one left out into the loft but don't give it any food and if the same thing happens again and it continues for a few more occasions then I would remove the pigeon from the team

Aftre missing one feed any pigeon will trap and will not miss trapping again but if they continue to mess about then they are not learning and you don't want slow learners in the loft

Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

PostSubject: Re: Young bird reluctant to come in   Young bird reluctant to come in EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 9:35 am

That's what I do Don, I had a couple didn't go straight in, so they got no food that night, they go straight in the next night, they soon learn and it does them no harm.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Young bird reluctant to come in   Young bird reluctant to come in EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 10:13 pm

Boosey wrote:
That's what I do Don, I had a couple didn't go straight in, so they got no food that night, they go straight in the next night, they soon learn and it does them no harm.

Spot on Boosey

When I raced always got the youngsters in a routine as soon as I called them the ones in got fed the ones that messed about missed there feed after a few mistakes they soon get in to gear and don't miss there fed
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Young bird reluctant to come in   Young bird reluctant to come in EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 8:05 am

Yippeee - It works

Thank you to everyone that gave me their input on this one.

Last night my young birds were slow to come in, but they did come in OK.  However, the one that has been giving me grief, didn't come in right away - so I locked it OUT!

After 20 mins, I went back, called it in but did NOT feed it anything.

I let the Y/Bs out this morning for their morning exercise as normal - They went out of sight for 40 mins, then flew around the loft for a further 10 or so minutes, then landed on the loft.

I called them in once, and even before I had time to get some food down, one came in followed closely by the rest.  Please bear in mind I only have 4 young birds flying out.

So - thank you once again you guys - it is amazing what a few grains of corn can do!

Happy days.

Phil
Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

PostSubject: Re: Young bird reluctant to come in   Young bird reluctant to come in EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 9:41 am

Nice one Phil
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: Young bird reluctant to come in   Young bird reluctant to come in EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 6:10 pm

that's the way to do it. let them no whose the boss. bounce
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Young bird reluctant to come in   Young bird reluctant to come in EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 6:31 pm

Great news Phil
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Young bird reluctant to come in   Young bird reluctant to come in EmptySun Jul 10, 2016 10:04 am

glad to hear your problem is solved phil, just need to keep the routine going now... cheers
Back to top Go down
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Young bird reluctant to come in   Young bird reluctant to come in EmptySun Jul 10, 2016 10:11 am

Brilliant news Phil, don't forget to do the same if it starts it's nonsense again
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Young bird reluctant to come in   Young bird reluctant to come in Empty

Back to top Go down

Young bird reluctant to come in
Page 1 of 1