Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Late dates for Darkness? Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 6:26 am

» Good Morning
Late dates for Darkness? Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 6:25 am

» RPRA Partnerships
Late dates for Darkness? Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Late dates for Darkness? Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
Late dates for Darkness? Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
Late dates for Darkness? Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Late dates for Darkness? Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Late dates for Darkness? Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
Late dates for Darkness? Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Late dates for Darkness? 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 57 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 56 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Late dates for Darkness? Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Late dates for Darkness? Vote_lcapLate dates for Darkness? Voting_barLate dates for Darkness? Vote_rcap 
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222797 messages in 14005 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Late dates for Darkness? Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Late dates for Darkness? Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
Late dates for Darkness? Vote_lcapLate dates for Darkness? Voting_barLate dates for Darkness? Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Late dates for Darkness?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Late dates for Darkness? Empty
PostSubject: Late dates for Darkness?   Late dates for Darkness? EmptyTue Feb 07, 2017 6:07 pm

Realistically - what month and date do members think is the latest date you can put young birds on the darkness system?

I know traditionally most fanciers put their young birds on the darkness system on or around the 21st March - the Spring Solstice - but if for some reason your babies are not ready by the 21st March how long can one leave it and still achieve what you want - i.e. young birds having a full body moult but not dropping any primary flight feathers.

The reason I am asking is, because of all the problems that I have had, which you all know about, I am only just getting my stock birds to lay their second round of eggs, which in realistic terms has put me about 28 days behind schedule.

Any advice would be great.

Phil
Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Late dates for Darkness?   Late dates for Darkness? EmptyTue Feb 07, 2017 7:57 pm

I would be interested also. May darken them this year.
Back to top Go down
caramel
Chipping
Chipping
caramel

PostSubject: Re: Late dates for Darkness?   Late dates for Darkness? EmptyTue Feb 07, 2017 8:08 pm

Once they are weaned as long as they are exposed to more dark than light hours they are on darkness. Each to their own regarding timings and length of darkening hours. While in the nest they are on natural lighting, my April hatched young respond to the dark hours and go into the body moult. Not all will go all the way but they get past the head moult ok, it is then up to the fancier to manage them and send when fit and in good feather - just the same as fully natural lighting.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Late dates for Darkness?   Late dates for Darkness? EmptyTue Feb 07, 2017 11:28 pm

caramel wrote:
Once they are weaned as long as they are exposed to more dark than light hours they are on darkness. Each to their own regarding timings and length of darkening hours. While in the nest they are on natural lighting, my April hatched young respond to the dark hours and go into the body moult. Not all will go all the way but they get past the head moult ok, it is then up to the fancier to manage them and send when fit and in good feather - just the same as fully natural lighting.
Differant strokes for differant folks Smile Smile & my Geordie mate tried the darkness last year for the first time etc here. Cracking lot of youngsters he had & truthfully they all put mine to shame unfortunately   bounce  bounce but come race day I really didn't see all that much differance. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
caramel
Chipping
Chipping
caramel

PostSubject: Re: Late dates for Darkness?   Late dates for Darkness? EmptyTue Feb 07, 2017 11:54 pm

Knackered wrote:
caramel wrote:
Differant strokes for differant folks Smile Smile & my Geordie mate tried the darkness last year for the first time etc here. Cracking lot of youngsters he had & truthfully they all put mine to shame unfortunately   bounce  bounce but come race day I really didn't see all that much differance. Cheers.

Darkening does not increase homing ability, it just gives an advantage in achieving the best feather condition to get a better performance. Young birds on darkness will almost always look terrific come racing but they must have the ability to get home.
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: Late dates for Darkness?   Late dates for Darkness? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 5:44 am

Sorry guys - we are getting off the subject matter -

My posting is about how late in the year you can put young birds on the darkness system - not if it works or not.

Phil
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Late dates for Darkness?   Late dates for Darkness? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 11:10 am

ybs take on average 9 weeks to body moult that's all ya need ...I would just wean any ybs straight onto the darkness system ....I would begin to take them off beginning to end of june some leave it until end of june others take them off at the beginning ,fanciers choice but in the event of them going on the system late then I would take them off the system 26th june but no later and gradualy expose them to more daylight hours by an extra hour per day ....you could still do some training whilst on the dark towards the end ,remember so long as the darkness hours are more than daylight then that's enough theirs no need to darken for 16 hours utter rubbish all you need is 13 hours of dark per day that's plenty...so in answer to yer question phil to get a full body moult they need to be on the dark by last week in april atb
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: Late dates for Darkness?   Late dates for Darkness? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 4:17 pm

Thanks everyone - good to know my thinking lines up with most other members thoughts.

I think I have it now.

Upwards and onwards - as they say!

What do members think about bringing young birds onto the darkness system whilst others have been on it for some weeks?

Phil
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Late dates for Darkness?   Late dates for Darkness? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 5:01 pm

personally I don't like it I don't like mixing different age ybs at all I like them all within 2 weeks so they are all developing at the same ,I think this causes a lot of problems with the health of the ybs on darkness jmo on it though,not only this they stop them ranging and exercising as the younger ones pull the others down from exercise also newly weaned don't get a fair whack of the grub ...theirs numerous reasons but up to the individual ...their birds their choice
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Late dates for Darkness?   Late dates for Darkness? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 7:27 pm

blueskylofts wrote:

My posting is about how late in the year you can put young birds on the darkness system - not if it works or not.

Phil
Chastised again Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Smile Smile those fingers of mine Laughing Laughing Laughing really are a problem etc at times Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
caramel
Chipping
Chipping
caramel

PostSubject: Re: Late dates for Darkness?   Late dates for Darkness? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Knackered wrote:
blueskylofts wrote:

Phil
Chastised again Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Smile Smile those fingers of mine Laughing Laughing Laughing really are a problem etc at times Wink Wink. cheers

Not at all. If it does not work for you timing is irrelevant, stay with what you are happy with.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Late dates for Darkness?   Late dates for Darkness? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 8:24 pm

caramel wrote:
Knackered wrote:
blueskylofts wrote:

Phil

Not at all. If it does not work for you timing is irrelevant, stay with what you are happy with.
OK Laughing Laughing Laughing thou you were not in my thoughts etc Smile Smile Caramel, with my rant above Wink Wink.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Late dates for Darkness?   Late dates for Darkness? EmptyThu Feb 09, 2017 4:33 am

"" so long as the darkness hours are more than daylight then that's enough theirs no need to darken for 16 hours utter rubbish all you need is 13 hours of dark per day that's plenty..""
Appreciate the info!! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Late dates for Darkness?   Late dates for Darkness? EmptyThu Feb 09, 2017 6:50 am

Knackered wrote:
blueskylofts wrote:

Phil

lol! lol! lol!

hal yer welcome fella only to happy to give you something back
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Late dates for Darkness?   Late dates for Darkness? EmptyThu Feb 09, 2017 8:15 am

oldstrain wrote:
Knackered wrote:
blueskylofts wrote:

Phil

lol! lol! lol!

hal yer welcome fella only to happy to give you something back
 Smile Smile You just watch what you say on Alfies big day etc that's coming up Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes O/S Wink Wink or you may just finish up in the dog house also. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Late dates for Darkness?   Late dates for Darkness? Empty

Back to top Go down

Late dates for Darkness?
Page 1 of 1