Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Another loft going up Emptyby David Today at 2:49 pm

» Good Morning
Another loft going up Emptyby David Today at 2:48 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Another loft going up Emptyby David Today at 1:35 pm

» APHA Forms .......
Another loft going up Emptyby David Fri May 17, 2024 11:38 am

» come join us
Another loft going up Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Another loft going up Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Another loft going up Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Another loft going up Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
Another loft going up Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Another loft going up 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 18 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 16 Guests :: 1 Bot

David, George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Another loft going up Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Another loft going up Vote_lcapAnother loft going up Voting_barAnother loft going up Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Another loft going up Vote_lcapAnother loft going up Voting_barAnother loft going up Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 222882 messages in 14007 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Another loft going up Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Another loft going up Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Another loft going up

Go down 
+3
Knackered
oldstrain
blueskylofts
7 posters
AuthorMessage
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Another loft going up Empty
PostSubject: Another loft going up   Another loft going up EmptySun Apr 23, 2017 5:45 pm

After careful consideration and chatting to a few pigeon people who know stuff, I have decided to build yet another loft!

I was making a start on it when the accident with my fingers happened which, as you can imagine, has slowed down the creative process a bit.

This loft is going to be for a few young birds out of our very best stock birds. We have four birds (three cocks and one hen) from the Vandenabeele Olympic line, direct children from Mr Olympic and Olympic 500. We also have two cocks and two hens which are direct children of Champion Indy, which was sold at the Blackpool Show this year for tens of thousands of pounds.

I am very well aware that the price of a pigeon bears very little resemblance to what it may produce. Having said that, all the parents of the birds mentioned above have bred several winners already. My intention is to keep back maybe a couple of rounds from each of these stock birds, even though they will be later bred. They will not be raced and they may not even be trained much, if at all, but they will be able to fly out on a daily basis. My intention is to use them as the breeding stock for our future race team.

It would be very interesting to know your opinions on my plan. I just feel that one day we will be going back to the UK and we may have to start again as far as building a race team goes. If I have a nucleus of pigeons all out of good stock birds, then I think I should have a chance.

What do you guys think?

Phil
Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Another loft going up   Another loft going up EmptyMon Apr 24, 2017 7:47 am

i would do that when I got back to the uk else yer gonna have to break them birds when ya get back also it may give time for them to show on the road then ya know if its all worthwhile jmo
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Another loft going up   Another loft going up EmptyMon Apr 24, 2017 9:45 am

blueskylofts wrote:
After careful consideration and chatting to a few pigeon people who know stuff, I have decided to build yet another loft!

I was making a start on it when the accident with my fingers happened which, as you can imagine, has slowed down the creative process a bit.

This loft is going to be for a few young birds out of our very best stock birds.  We have four birds (three cocks and one hen) from the Vandenabeele Olympic line, direct children from Mr Olympic and Olympic 500.  We also have two cocks and two hens which are direct children of Champion Indy, which was sold at the Blackpool Show this year for tens of thousands of pounds.

I am very well aware that the price of a pigeon bears very little resemblance to what it may produce.  Having said that, all the parents of the birds mentioned above have bred several winners already.  My intention is to keep back maybe a couple of rounds from each of these stock birds, even though they will be later bred.  They will not be raced and they may not even be trained much, if at all, but they will be able to fly out on a daily basis.  My intention is to use them as the breeding stock for our future race team.

It would be very interesting to know your opinions on my plan.  I just feel that one day we will be going back to the UK and we may have to start again as far as building a race team goes.  If I have a nucleus of pigeons all out of good stock birds, then I think I should have a chance.

What do you guys think?

Phil
For me Phil Smile Smile I suspect you have ample loft space there as it is etc from your discussion on site here from my perspective. If planning on being in froggy land for only 2/3 years I would put my effort into stitching up the froggy brigade Smile Smile "Big time" more so than building another loft as such. Do it for the Queen & country thing lol! lol! lol! & you may never quite know what rewards may come your way Wink Wink.  cheers
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Another loft going up   Another loft going up EmptyMon Apr 24, 2017 10:42 am

more loft space = more pigeons kept = more time consuming = management / performance suffers.

I started with 6 pigeons and a 6 x6 shed..........now ive got 32ft with 5 sections and a boat load of pigeons, sometimes its a bind looking after them all, and takes the pleasure out of the hobby, ive another 14ft loft to go up with a view of making more room to even the numbers out, but in reality it will be 14 more foot to fill with pigeons...... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad scratch
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Another loft going up   Another loft going up EmptyMon Apr 24, 2017 4:06 pm

tbh good breeders are hard to find irrespective of the parents worth/performances/breeding/cost ,so for me I would be breeding as many ybs to race out of the principle birds to see if the parents are producing before breeding stock from them ,atb
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: Another loft going up   Another loft going up EmptyMon Apr 24, 2017 5:13 pm

oldstrain wrote:
tbh good breeders are hard to find irrespective of the parents worth/performances/breeding/cost ,so for me I would be breeding as many ybs to race out of the principle birds to see if the parents are producing before breeding stock from them ,atb

Very good shout Darren.

On reflection, I think it is much better to test these young birds before making any long lasting plans.

After all - the old adage is right - "Let the basket sort them out" - or something like that anyway.

Trustfully, tomorrow I might be able to take some photos of the new bit finished - or nearly finished.

Then we can think about filling it with some quality birds, or at least as good a quality as we have right now.

As we all know, quality is relevant. If you have only been back in the game a very short while, as we have, and don't have the financial resources that some others have, then we can only do what we can do with the birds that we have. Who knows, they might turn out to be a load of rubbish, but I am trusting that they won't. We have got to start building a family somewhere.

Phil
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Another loft going up   Another loft going up EmptyMon Apr 24, 2017 6:06 pm

yes you are right phil, build a family on proven racers......as we all know, most pigeons are crap , when you work out the % bred and the % which win / race well / breed well.
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: Another loft going up   Another loft going up EmptyMon Apr 24, 2017 8:56 pm

For me Phil I would do what you say but I would not keep all of them for stock I would pick the one's that I like the shape of and would breed the type that will pair to anything I hate birds that I have to find mates for to match up
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Another loft going up   Another loft going up EmptyTue Apr 25, 2017 2:11 am

David. Agree. Have a 24 x 8 footer plus a 12 x 6 footer. Intended to scrap the large loft this year but as I did not race young birds last year I kept it up. Stock birds (apart from one ) are all ex-racers and all fly out. Apart from the stock birds all will be raced. The best few will be kept. The rest go for meat. Have about 60 to race. 20 of them unraced yearlings. I give them points. 1st back to loft 10 points, 2nd back 9 points and so on. Ones with most points stay. No allowance for tough races or other variables. Have to fly to nest as do not have room for widowhood hens anyway. Due to weather have not trained yet. Mostly open loft and they are flying good. May 6 first race. 155 miles. If I can get them trained to 20 miles then 40 it should be enough. Not looking forward to catching them all for training but has to be done. My predictions are the best birds from the last few years flying will also be the best this year. Unless some unraced yearlings surprise me. Regardless, I need just enough birds so I know them individually. Lot less work and expense.
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: Another loft going up   Another loft going up EmptyTue Apr 25, 2017 12:13 pm

Be careful or you will end up like those peel bros lol
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: Another loft going up   Another loft going up EmptyTue Apr 25, 2017 6:42 pm

peel bros wrote:

If I had to follow someone's example - then the Peel Bros would not be a bad place to start - lol.

'fingers'

I had the second lot of stitches out of my fingers today, the first half came out on Sunday, MAN did it hurt! it was like I had sawn them in half all over again.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Another loft going up   Another loft going up EmptyTue Apr 25, 2017 6:49 pm

you wont be shop lifting for a while then eh phil............ Razz Razz lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: Another loft going up   Another loft going up EmptyTue Apr 25, 2017 6:53 pm

David wrote:
you wont be shop lifting for a while then eh phil............ Razz Razz lol! lol!

Very droll, David

P
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Another loft going up   Another loft going up EmptyWed Apr 26, 2017 11:25 am

peel bros wrote:
lol! lol! lol! Shock horror Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes frightning Smile Smile but I suspect you speak words of wisdom Ray etc Wink Wink.  cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another loft going up   Another loft going up Empty

Back to top Go down

Another loft going up
Page 1 of 1