Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Time was ... still should be eh! Emptyby David Yesterday at 6:18 pm

» escaped birds return
Time was ... still should be eh! Emptyby David Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» Weather today
Time was ... still should be eh! Emptyby David Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Time was ... still should be eh! Emptyby David Yesterday at 12:01 pm

» good luck weekend
Time was ... still should be eh! Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 2:24 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Time was ... still should be eh! Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

» Scandalous .......
Time was ... still should be eh! Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
Time was ... still should be eh! Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
Time was ... still should be eh! Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Time was ... still should be eh! 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 65 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 64 Guests :: 1 Bot

David

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Time was ... still should be eh! Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Time was ... still should be eh! Vote_lcapTime was ... still should be eh! Voting_barTime was ... still should be eh! Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Time was ... still should be eh! Vote_lcapTime was ... still should be eh! Voting_barTime was ... still should be eh! Vote_rcap 
Knackered
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222655 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Time was ... still should be eh! Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Time was ... still should be eh! Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Time was ... still should be eh!

Go down 
+2
David
Daz
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Time was ... still should be eh! Empty
PostSubject: Time was ... still should be eh!   Time was ... still should be eh! EmptySun Mar 24, 2019 10:26 am

Well, the past weekend passed would have finalised – hopefully, what birds were going to be paired to what bird. You being happy with— new mates or staying the same. ( Well always that nagging doubt eh!) The close season would have given us ample time to decide what was going to make room in the nest boxes. - lists on what the yearlings and two y/o's had done etc.
Would the y/b's have made a mark themselves? The urge to ad nest boxes meant deciding NO!
Maybe next years yearlings would prove themselves worthy of both racing and nest box.
Now this week or over the next two weeks pairing would be done and birds settled for the first of two rounds.
There would be plenty of time for the youngsters to mature. Certainly enough and race the program. First rounders would go to the first two races in theory, and the second rounders the next two – come back races.

The close season would be soon enough to see if your matings tested by Mr Basket were spot on! Maybe a tweak or two needed...! Or a complete change!
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Time was ... still should be eh!   Time was ... still should be eh! EmptySun Mar 24, 2019 11:01 am

yes daz, the choices have been made by now.......ive just left mine as they were, too much hassle changing them, although I did have a few new pairings in my head for certain birds, but as usual it was easier to leave them as they were.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Time was ... still should be eh!   Time was ... still should be eh! EmptySun Mar 24, 2019 11:56 am

changed 2 pairs around out of our 6 pair of stock ...experimented with crosses with our yearlings and older racers most single reared from selected pairs not all racers were bred from we chose 5 pairs out of 9 to breed from hence the single rearing ,some interesting yb specimens but the basket never lies the most interesting is a dun cheq ck half brother to our 30th mnfc one loft bird shame its not old enough to be one of our syndicate entries this year but its only 20 days old today
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Time was ... still should be eh!   Time was ... still should be eh! EmptySun Mar 24, 2019 12:22 pm

I fully understand Dave your reasoning. Many do, and I have many times left many together.
Mostly because A. they had bred some promising ones. B. The hassle lol.

Mind it is a beautiful experience to 'plan and decides'. How proud is one when it all comes together eh! All those plans and waiting, the hopes and fears, plus the ability to change course if and as when needed. Brings a glow to the heart I believe.
Many reasons too for planning too...
Firstly I always feel that one should decide what races, distances you are most interested in. Please remember, though, that I believe in the main all good pigeons come from proven hard day and distance pigeons, regardless of the distance they will fly! It is why the more affluent abound. Because they can always bring in, add other proven distance birds.
I often say if one can get a good repour with a proven distance / hard day flyer you are placing a foot on a good step. Now don't look at the locations. The East side, but a fancier that shines through in an unfavourable LOCATION. Saves paying silly money regards …
Indeed ALL successful strains have come from proven distance birds!
These birds usually have a good immune system intact, with a good constitution also proven.
The system is off- I believe -of the utmost importance regardless of the races you like.
How good it is when plans come through. Ok. the close season may need tweaking or a change... However, then again that is 'pigeon racing. Remember changes must be slight and given a chance to shine through. Then one has an insight whether another or not is needed.
I believe that 2-4 years it might be needed- unless the lucky Queen helps - for a family and system to shine,
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

PostSubject: Re: Time was ... still should be eh!   Time was ... still should be eh! EmptySun Mar 24, 2019 12:47 pm

I do my planning all year round study
Last years stock pairings,their offspring are paired to what i intended and bred them for.
Example.
Circus Boy line via Mark Evans paired to Litton Glory line (nfc tarbes winners).
Have been paired to the Snydale Express line i have, with a little pennine heights added.
2020 blended with the nigel llewelyn pigeons.
study
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Time was ... still should be eh!   Time was ... still should be eh! EmptySun Mar 24, 2019 1:11 pm

fieldwalker wrote:
I do my planning all year round study
Last years stock pairings,their offspring are paired to what i intended and bred them for.
Example.
Circus Boy line via Mark Evans paired to Litton Glory line (nfc tarbes winners).
Have been paired to the Snydale Express line i have, with a little pennine heights added.
2020 blended with the nigel llewelyn pigeons.
study

a lot of thought gone into that breeding f/w, heres hoping they breed the goods ..... cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Time was ... still should be eh!   Time was ... still should be eh! EmptySun Mar 24, 2019 1:11 pm

On the face of it F/W it would appear that you have the benefit, and also you use, out crossing for Vigour, immunity and constitution. That, I KNOW is the essence of good breeding.

Last edited by Daz on Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

PostSubject: Re: Time was ... still should be eh!   Time was ... still should be eh! EmptySun Mar 24, 2019 2:01 pm

Couldn't see all id typed on my phone.
Theres a few more lines for later crossing in and out.
Besants "noble dream"
Gilberts 2nd open international
All for future crossing in and out at a later date when i find out whats what and suits me.
Got about a dozen inland ybs to play with this year as i seem to have gone a little ott on distance lol!
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Time was ... still should be eh!   Time was ... still should be eh! EmptySun Mar 24, 2019 2:18 pm

Do you think some of the very best birds are bred from birds that have raced to the home loft? Which were in turn bred from the same established colony?
I know it happens when  2 from anywhere just click, but Ive always wondered how a cock from say Holland, paired to a hen from Germany, can breed pigeons to race to Scotland like they've always been there?
Another one of the wonders that make pigeons so unique and interesting!
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Time was ... still should be eh!   Time was ... still should be eh! EmptySun Mar 24, 2019 3:48 pm

Well, Barnie, they are both but pigeons. (Out Crossed is the answer).
Arguably one of the best, if not the best - along with the Old man Janssen and Masserella - stockman. He searches and found on Paper from many different lofts and mated two unknown to sale with not just great results, but outstanding results.
I once asked- tongue in cheek a horse trainer why the Irish horse seemed to excel regards the English horse. He said it was the 'Grass'. 'Ok is said ' what is the secret regards the Dog racers'?
Egyptian Greyhounds called Elan are supposedly fastest of all greyhounds! If so why aren't they popular and in high demand here.

Many say 'We buy Belgium birds... but, they are made here'!

A committee member of the East Coast club (NRCC) once, when called on at a moot to answer why the NRCC are loathed to release in any wind with East it in it'!

He replied because the birds would be blown, and driven into the Scottish mountains...' when pressed said ' Pigeons can't fly over them, would be many injuries and losses'! TRUE!
I said 'So, in that case, A. it is ok to let them be scattered all over the continent eh! Moreover, how come there is pigeon racing in Scotland? Beside Mountain, What mountains! They are but pinpricks'!

I took a feral (Churches) in and cleaned it up. I let go in and out of the loft. It stayed in the loft at nights. Great for keeping an eye out for sparrow hawks. First in the loft!
I was wondering regards how far if any miles from home it could / would fly?

In those days I trained my young birds three times in the week before the first race for them. 30 or so miles South. West and then would take the kids down to Skegness about 65 miles east.

Well, wife and co went Skegness this particular year and released the youngsters.

I was amazed it was well home before any other. That year and the next I sent first race south. I sent 23 youngsters and had them drop nigh together. I would have taken the first 22 spots. True.

Next year Bill Butterfield from Canada was staying with me. I did nigh the same.
They came the same as the year before. I was on the phone speaking to Porter and Richards when they arrived. Bill was having kittens regards clocking in. I finished talking and then strolled up the yard - I never rushed or snatched at a pigeon from a race. Too many are ruin I believe via that! Any road I was 1st, 2nd, 3rd and fourth in the club from the 5 I timed in.! It was a stray.… They laughed, the other was a stray that had come in lol.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Time was ... still should be eh!   Time was ... still should be eh! EmptySun Mar 24, 2019 3:49 pm

Many a good bird are /were bred from two strays. Or a stray and one in a loft.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Time was ... still should be eh!   Time was ... still should be eh! EmptySun Mar 24, 2019 8:07 pm

The best laid plans of mice and men????.

There are hundreds of stories regarding the breeding of the odd outstanding pigeon, they come from all kinds of situations, just as human athletes etc; do.

If there was a definite way, then there would be no enjoyment involved, it is the expectations and setting your stall out that makes the sport what it is.

You are just as likely to breed a champ from the odd pair left after all the others have been scientifically paired.

But hey it is always exciting seeing what turns up in the nest pan and long may it be so.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

PostSubject: Re: Time was ... still should be eh!   Time was ... still should be eh! EmptyMon Mar 25, 2019 6:44 am

Breakaway was bred from a nl stray that dropped in with race birds one day, not sure now if it was arthur beardsmore who gave it to ron green, was arthur told me the tale anyway.
Turned out to be a young ko nipius, still had down on its head.
By Arthur could tell a tale.
He was up here with his wife visiting Catherine Cookson Country....
Saw my birds from the nearby hotel and that was that.
Liked him canny owld fella.
king
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time was ... still should be eh!   Time was ... still should be eh! Empty

Back to top Go down

Time was ... still should be eh!
Page 1 of 1