Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Moulting season Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 2:06 am

» come join us
Moulting season Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:21 am

» Weather today
Moulting season Emptyby David Yesterday at 9:45 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Moulting season Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Moulting season Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Moulting season Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Moulting season Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
Moulting season Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
Moulting season Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Moulting season 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 16 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 16 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Moulting season Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Moulting season Vote_lcapMoulting season Voting_barMoulting season Vote_rcap 
David
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222847 messages in 14006 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Moulting season Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Moulting season Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Moulting season

Go down 
+5
MISTY
halcanada
Daz
oldstrain
markevans
9 posters
AuthorMessage
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

Moulting season Empty
PostSubject: Moulting season   Moulting season EmptySun Sep 22, 2019 10:35 am

What brands if any will you use this season one from the corn merchant or one you make your self  at the moment mine are on South's moulting mix can't say I am a fan of barely so might change to a widow mix and seeds
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Moulting season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moulting season   Moulting season EmptySun Sep 22, 2019 11:04 am

versel laga mutine (moulting mix) for ours with a small seed mix for breakfast containing a vegetable pellet ,linseed,rapeseed,groats and these are added to fresh wheat (beyers) did get some farm stuff last year and ended up giving it to the wild birds it was filthy so never again ...not much choice regards farm grains did get some beans for my m8 they seemed ok but I don't feed beans ,some do and do well ,each to his own atb
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Moulting season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moulting season   Moulting season EmptySun Sep 22, 2019 2:33 pm

Best brand is same as the whole year 'Rest'. or improve it Rest and a little exercise, full stop. All feeds have the basic elements for a good moult.
Remember once the cup is full then the you can't add any more.
You know, say tic beans or Maples would more than suffice. Adding oils and oily feeds doesn't help a jot … Just makes the Fancier feel better, as if helping their birds and doing 'Right' by them!
Really it is just a placebo for the fancier.
I'd wager straight feeds from the farm  is well good enough.
In fact, save your money, and put it to not only a good cause, but a better one.
Was a time when Wheat or Barley, or a mix, was plenty good enough in winter months, and still is.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Moulting season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moulting season   Moulting season EmptySun Sep 22, 2019 2:44 pm

Econo-mix. Lots of wheat, corn etc,. 12% protien. I add some No 1 mix. 14% protien. Safflower as a treat. Some wild bird seed when wife is not watching! Usually open loft, grass, etc,. but will seperate and close now.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Moulting season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moulting season   Moulting season EmptySun Sep 22, 2019 4:10 pm

In the wild pigeons have to go further for their food in the winter and it can be few and far between.

The best supply is when they are rearing their young, so nature would indicate that we should feed according to nature.

That is the best food when rearing their young and basic during the winter.

Sure many do that.

As I had open loft and young and old together I fed exactly the same mixture all year round with a little more linseed during the moult, but they had small seeds included every day.

Only problem I had was discouraging winter breeding, the eggs thrown away could have produced champions ?????.

If a system works for you ?????.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Moulting season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moulting season   Moulting season EmptySun Sep 22, 2019 6:08 pm

a wide selection of grains is always available to the birds ,just don't overfeed I think thats the problem with a lot of birds over winter especially when locked down ,as misty says linseed is probably the main one and a percentage of protein around 15% but I like to spoil them I suppose, totally uneseccary ? probably but they seem to like it and so do I the birds are always waiting for brekkie the small seeds really come into play when racing ,well some of them anyway pirat pirat
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Moulting season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moulting season   Moulting season EmptyMon Sep 23, 2019 1:51 am

Daz wrote:
Best brand is same as the whole year 'Rest'.  or improve it Rest and a little exercise, full stop. All feeds have the basic elements for a good moult.
Remember once the cup is full then the you can't add any more.
You know, say tic beans or Maples would more than suffice. Adding oils and oily feeds doesn't help a jot … Just makes the Fancier feel better, as if helping their birds and doing 'Right' by them!
Really it is just a placebo for the fancier.
I'd wager straight feeds from the farm  is well good enough.
In fact, save your money, and put it to not only a good cause, but a better one.
Was a time when Wheat or Barley, or a mix, was plenty good enough in winter months, and still is.
A lot of sense in what you say etc Daz above Wink Wink. Doubt if many believe what you say thou on average Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes all caught up in the spin & bling scenario of today as such bounce bounce. cheers
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Moulting season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moulting season   Moulting season EmptyMon Sep 23, 2019 1:26 pm

Autumn, is the time for nature to take care of their winters. Ample feeds always … used to say when the hedgerows are full of berries it was going to be a rough winter … Climate change has put paid to that. Now the hedges are well stocked throughout the winter.
Indeed rabbits and many more now breed all year round... like birds in towns.
But we have farms feed on door steps and our pigeons don't wander far. Used to be entice to go fielding. Indeed some kept some old birds to take the youngsters … only worry in them days that they would go fielding before homing lol.

I'd wager regardless of feed the pigeons will look a treat after the moult. Putting oil and such on feeds is just a costly waste of time. Read Walkers views on this. Like wise Gordon Chambers, and Doctor Klaus. All said the same. same as my last post. But then the 'Feel good' is for one, and how they obtain that … well!
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Moulting season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moulting season   Moulting season EmptyMon Sep 23, 2019 2:50 pm

i don't think feeding oil seeds is at all wrong theirs much more info out there these days and certain oil seeds are very beneficial I DO NOT USE OILS never trusted the transit of them ...as a lot of things a lot of what is written contradicts and a lot of what we do with the birds in turn has a knock on effect ,yes most birds will be gleaming after the moult but in a few months when snapped flights start a coming maybe the feed was not all that jmo I will give the best I can afford better than giving it to a pub landlord ...farm feed is fine but not in my district its awful ,at the end of the day your results will tell you if you are doing right by yer birds atb
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Moulting season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moulting season   Moulting season EmptyMon Sep 23, 2019 8:22 pm

Wild bird seed here has Sunflower. Few penut halves. Usually have a few safflower for treats etc,. Flock of wild ones here been around for years,. They look in excellent shape year round. Just forage for food.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Moulting season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moulting season   Moulting season EmptyMon Sep 23, 2019 9:16 pm

i feed mine the same corn all year round, just altering the amount for breeding season.......i also feed tk conditioner (red band type seed) every day all year round .
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Moulting season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moulting season   Moulting season EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 11:29 am

Not saying it is wrong... nor would I say that putting oils on feed is. Just that there is no need as far as I can make out. Read to a little extent

Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

Moulting season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moulting season   Moulting season EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 2:56 pm

I have also heard that a bath with some bath salts is very beneficial during the molt. I have been giving them a bath twice a week I don't know if it helps but they sure do love it! I know wild pigeons and birds in general take lots of baths. I don't think its to cool off since their skin never gets wet.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Moulting season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moulting season   Moulting season EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 5:31 pm

paloma blanca I believe, wholly, that the birds contentment and what nature intended for them is the very height of successful birds, breeding / racing enjoyment and much more. The more natural - the long term- gives the results one wishes and desires. Happy contented birds with a love of home. A place where they want to be. Tipplers, tumblers, rollers fantail racers etc. etc.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Moulting season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moulting season   Moulting season EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 9:22 am

paloma blanca wrote:
I have also heard that a bath with some bath salts is very beneficial during the molt. I have been giving them a bath twice a week I don't know if it helps but they sure do love it! I know wild pigeons and birds in general take lots of baths. I don't think its to cool off since their skin never gets wet.
Baths Paloma Smile Smile give the pigeons & their owners etc I suspect bounce bounce that feel good moment on average Wink Wink End of the day Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes who would wish to be walking around on the smelly side of the ledger lol! lol! lol! so the more baths the better I say Very Happy Very Happy as for bath salts as such from a packet with a pigeon on it, I would suggest there to maybe just try too find pool salt, which comes here in 20kg bags & is much cheaper than a fancy packet as such & does much the same thing in the end from my experience Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
redrog
Youngbird
Youngbird
redrog

Moulting season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moulting season   Moulting season EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 4:12 pm

Knackered wrote:
paloma blanca wrote:
Baths Paloma Smile Smile give the pigeons & their owners etc I suspect bounce bounce that feel good moment on average Wink Wink End of the day Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes who would wish to be walking around on the smelly side of the ledger lol! lol! lol! so the more baths the better I say Very Happy Very Happy as for bath salts as such from a packet with a pigeon on it, I would suggest there to maybe just try too find pool salt, which comes here in 20kg bags & is much cheaper than a fancy packet as such & does much the same thing in the end from my experience Smile Smile. cheers
lots of bubbles I bet pal lol! candles and soft music, and the right fist full of amber nectar lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Moulting season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moulting season   Moulting season EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 5:40 pm

we just use salt n vinegar but we eat the fish and chips lol!
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Moulting season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moulting season   Moulting season EmptyThu Sep 26, 2019 10:24 am

In all my years, both with pigeons, and walking nature have I ever seen a fit and healthy not shining and look a picture after the moult.
Likewise with wild life animals.
Remember well, when dad. like so many and never have a penny to spare, fed sparingly whatever he / they could afford. Gosh after the war's end fanciers combated the squirrels and jays for the a corn oak nuts. These with others were fed and raced on with great results.
Many tried maize if a few coppers were spare.
Like the old boys would say- when making Room for the yearlings to have a nest box 'Don't wait till after the moult to decide for … all will look a picture'!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Moulting season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moulting season   Moulting season Empty

Back to top Go down

Moulting season
Page 1 of 1