Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Per Pigeon Space in Loft Emptyby barnie Today at 10:41 am

» Good Morning
Per Pigeon Space in Loft Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 8:17 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Per Pigeon Space in Loft Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:49 pm

» good luck weekend
Per Pigeon Space in Loft Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:30 pm

» escaped birds return
Per Pigeon Space in Loft Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» Scandalous .......
Per Pigeon Space in Loft Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
Per Pigeon Space in Loft Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
Per Pigeon Space in Loft Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Per Pigeon Space in Loft Emptyby David Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:25 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Per Pigeon Space in Loft 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 95 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 94 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Per Pigeon Space in Loft Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Per Pigeon Space in Loft Vote_lcapPer Pigeon Space in Loft Voting_barPer Pigeon Space in Loft Vote_rcap 
David
Per Pigeon Space in Loft Vote_lcapPer Pigeon Space in Loft Voting_barPer Pigeon Space in Loft Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222605 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Per Pigeon Space in Loft Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Per Pigeon Space in Loft Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Per Pigeon Space in Loft

Go down 
+2
oldstrain
tanveerhbaig
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tanveerhbaig
Chipping
Chipping
tanveerhbaig

Per Pigeon Space in Loft Empty
PostSubject: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft EmptyWed Jan 15, 2020 5:55 pm

Hi Friends,
we discuss all the time that good loft management can leads to good results cheers I believe in that too Smile we also know that overcrowd is not good and can cause several diseases.

My question is regarding loft size and birds it can accommodate. What do you think is good space to consider for a pigeon? For me I think there could some measurement options too, but what I do , I make sure good ventilation in loft. one of my loft is 5*5*6.5 ft (excluding aviary) I install perch 10inch apart in height and 6 inch gap between perch.in this way I install perch that define capacity for me Smile but sometimes I reduce my birds even I have vacant perches in it. my lofts has covered section and aviary on front. whether winter or summer, I observed that pigeon wants to sit inside covered section , specially in evening and only opt to sit on perch in aviary if he has no good space inside. so if my pigeon start living in aviary, it is a indicator for me for overcrowd and I move them to other loft where space is available

what are your thoughts ?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.pakpipa.com
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft EmptyWed Jan 15, 2020 7:28 pm

hi tanveer...what i do is measure the length of the loft by the width and divide by 3 and thats the number of pigeons i would have in that space
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 12:10 am

tanveerhbaig wrote:
Hi Friends,
we discuss all the time that good loft management can leads to good results cheers I believe in that too Smile we also know that overcrowd is not good and can cause several diseases.

My question is regarding loft size and birds it can accommodate. What do you think is good space to consider for a pigeon? For me I think there could some measurement options too, but what I do , I make sure good ventilation in loft. one of my loft is 5*5*6.5 ft (excluding aviary)   I install perch 10inch apart in height and 6 inch gap between perch.in this way I install perch that define capacity for me Smile but sometimes I reduce my birds even I have vacant perches in it. my lofts has covered section and aviary on front. whether winter or summer, I observed that pigeon wants to sit inside covered section , specially in evening and only opt to sit on perch in aviary if he has no good space inside. so if my pigeon start living in aviary, it is a indicator for me for overcrowd and I move them to other loft where space is available

what are your thoughts ?

Thanks    
My thoughts Tanveer Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Smile Smile are your concerned about something etc that you should not be really concerned about as such
Wink Wink on average. Advise, all with good intent here I'm sure bounce bounce will flow with wisdom attached, but from my pespective it's all total bollocks lol! lol! lol! I'm affraid from my experience & for what I've seen first hand in a local sense Very Happy Very Happy. Pick our beloved Ray here Smile Smile as an example bounce bounce & then think of a man, that is every bit as good or even I suggest is maybe even better & is a Icon for his deeds in a racing sense against large numbers & his loft is 20Ft x 6/7ft maybe, dug 2ft into the ground & it has 250/280 odd pigeons in it of pure class by local standards & when he wants a few extra perches Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes lol! lol! lol! he just fills the floor with bricks Smile Smile to make his champs happy & comfortable in winter Wink Wink. Now  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  lol!  lol!  lol! happy to take all abuse here with this one as such  bounce  bounce but please take/keep in mind  Wink  Wink I've seen in my time, gold cup winners, squills type champions all migrate with their wisdom & tales of glory of home & then race local & they mostly have just been, just run of the mill nothing type pigeon flyers in the end  Wink  Wink. cheers flower afro
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 7:26 am

lol! lol! lol! great little spout oz Laughing at the end of the day its what yer comfortable with in the loft but climate and ventilation will come into play also ,a flight will enable more numbers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 7:39 am

I am with you here Knackered

Too many theories not enough research.

Seen lofts that would be called over crowded by the experts that beat the experts out of sight.

What matters is the quality of the air within the loft.

You will fond exceptions in every aspect of our sport.

However, for myself I always had a number of empty perches, it stopped fighting for perches ( used by some as an incentive to fly better) and was a means of contentment and love of their home the best possible incentive and not an on and off.

For every so called experts opinion there will be numerous better fanciers using exactly the opposite, that is what makes it interesting.

If there was a fool proof way everyone would now be aware of it.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
tanveerhbaig
Chipping
Chipping
tanveerhbaig

PostSubject: Re: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 11:14 am

thank you all. my intention was to get best practice . It seems on whatever system if birds returned, it is good for that individual Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.pakpipa.com
halcanada80
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 7:47 pm

There are no set rules. You have an aviary? Good enough. Ventilation? Well below freezing wind blows in to one loft I have. No heat.
Banded 6 young birds today. 2 were in a loft that did not have lights on. Dark from 5 pm to 8 am. They all look robust. The lofts with the lights young are no different from loft without. Each to their own.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 7:51 pm

i have a widowhood section 8x6 ft maximum of 12 birds ,hens section same size for 16 birds,stock section same size 6 pairs,yb section is same size also but with a 5x6 feet flight for maximum of 30 ybs (40 perches though) but of course they thin out as the season progresses also the ybs are not about in winter so lofts are more open spring/summer ...as misty says the crucial element is ventilation and get that right you can indeed house more birds but i like to feel comfortable in the lofts and see whats going on with each bird and get to know them ,to me thats more important but other ways work to and as mentioned many winners have come from crowded lofts so cant knock it if you like alot of birds about you ,some people like that Smile
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 1:10 am

halcanada80 wrote:
There are no set rules.  You have an aviary? Good enough. Ventilation? Well below freezing wind blows in to one loft I have. No heat.
Banded 6 young birds today.  2 were in a loft that did not have lights on. Dark from 5 pm to 8 am. They all look robust. The lofts with the lights young are no different from loft without. Each to their own.
Absolutely true Hal Wink Wink I had a god like creature Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes when young in pigeon terms etc Smile Smile & even today I still at times read his books as such bounce bounce & the best way to describe him, would be to say he was like our beloved Ray here  Very Happy  Very Happy a chook farmer type of some repute. Now lol! lol! lol! I did a small calculation Wink Wink ( in my head I'm  affraid) & using O/S's formula for his birds & if he just kept his birds under the same scenario Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Smile Smile believe it or not bounce bounce lol! lol! lol! his loft would have been Smile Smile 1,333ft long Very Happy Very Happy.  Now  lol!  lol!  lol! just to take the pain away here for some & maybe I'm just wrong with my calculation bounce bounce the man was called Levi Wink Wink & in his day he just kept, 20,000 odd pigeons for the sheer enjoyment factor type of thing Wink  Wink. cheers flower afro
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 11:22 am

The funny thing about pigeons is they have a mind of their own.

You can have all the ideal circumstances YOU feel right and they just tell you do not know what you are talking about.

In many a loft with what we feel ideal pigeons will nest in the most unusual and inconvenient place and also perch in places not intended.

I have found in many cases they are some of the best although at times tiresome.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 1:08 pm

How many could you house in a tree. A square foot for each bird.  In Canada, the government ruling is Width x height x length = square feet! Seen lofts where the droppings are very high on floor and any nest perching etc. Pigeons just out of pecking range - till accepted and allowed to be nearer. State of pigeons? First class and in immaculate condition. How do they race... Extremely well.
You know, on the basis of 'Many myths become legends, and many legends become myths'. It matters not! One thing for certain is the more there is, the more content they are and better the racing and fewer the losses. Proven time after time. But too many want to treat as 'Human'!
Spouting 'What IFit was you?!
Misty says' … I have found in many cases they are some of the best although at times tiresome'.
Very true... like the ones adamant they will build nests under the loft … or nowhere'! I believe to a large extent a pigeon merits a broad spectrum of doing what it wants for easier and better results.
Back to top Go down
halcanada80
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 2:27 pm

Middle of North Atlantic. Spring and Autumn. Getting near dusk. Many hundereds of birds would land on the ship. Followed by raptors. The birds? Red Polls. Tiny little things. Some other species also. All birds that survive have instinct and intelligence. Pigeons also. But if pampered those traits get less strong.
Back to top Go down
halcanada80
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 2:29 pm

Levi was a pigeon farmer. Raised them for meat.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft EmptySat Jan 18, 2020 12:55 am

halcanada80 wrote:
Levi was a pigeon farmer. Raised them for meat.
I knew that etc Hal Wink Wink Always did/have as such Smile Smile That part of his history lol! lol! lol! was covered under my type of thing ending Very Happy Very Happy. End of the day thou bounce bounce hard to repute, he wasn't a man of great knowledge in a pigeon sense I suggest Very Happy Very Happy. Now  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes talk about old school or I'm  affraid  bounce  bounce some who refuses to go modern in a pigeon sense  Smile  Smile I know a bloke, well  Smile  Smile that if as I waffle here, he went under his house  lol!  lol!  lol! to his goodies box, you would find 3/4 items that Levi highly recommended in the cause of keeping his wee little flock healthy & well as such  Smile  Smile.  cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft EmptySat Jan 18, 2020 1:03 am

Daz wrote:
How many could you house in a tree. A square foot for each bird.  In Canada, the government ruling is Width x height x length = square feet! Seen lofts where the droppings are very high on floor and any nest perching etc. Pigeons just out of pecking range - till accepted and allowed to be nearer. State of pigeons? First class and in immaculate condition. How do they race... Extremely well.
You know, on the basis of 'Many myths become legends, and many legends become myths'. It matters not! One thing for certain is the more there is, the more content they are and better the racing and fewer the losses. Proven time after time. But too many want to treat as 'Human'!
Spouting 'What IFit was you?!
Misty says' … I have found in many cases they are some of the best although at times tiresome'.
Very true... like the ones adamant they will build nests under the loft … or nowhere'! I believe to a large extent a pigeon merits a broad spectrum of doing what it wants for easier and better results.
Always think here etc Daz Smile Smile of those old type dove cotes farmers kept on their farms of a long gone era. No body count done there I suggest Wink Wink but those that lived there in some ways always found a happy balance type scenario for survival etc Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada80
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft EmptySat Jan 18, 2020 1:29 am

Yes Knackered. Quite a few follow his advice. Being in the rasing of many animals in restricted spaces , hogs, appreciate his ability overcome associated problems.
However, modern day fanciers have a different goal. To have the best to race. Trial and error to start. Then a plan gets formed then try it. Parts work keep them. Discard other aspects and try something else. Ad infinitum.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft EmptySat Jan 18, 2020 1:58 am

halcanada80 wrote:
Yes Knackered. Quite a few follow his advice. Being in the rasing of many animals in restricted spaces , hogs, appreciate his ability overcome associated problems.
However, modern day fanciers  have a different goal. To have the best to race. Trial and error to start. Then a plan gets formed then try it. Parts work keep them. Discard other aspects and try something else. Ad infinitum.
Maybe true as you say Hal Smile Smile actually it is true as you say. But Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes not everyone gets caught up in the spin & bling scenario of today I suggest of what must be done to achieve results. A fine example Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes lol! lol! lol! is of a Vet I know etc Smile Smile talk the talk, the man is a wizard Very Happy Very Happy but come race day lol! lol! lol! a different story unfolds much of the  time, on average  Wink  Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft EmptySat Jan 18, 2020 11:02 am

True Knackered.
Seen once, when a farm hand went up to knock an old shed down. The roof was caved in, and water got through etc. Nesting places every where... Was a good number when circling etc.
The older one he caught, and the babes and squabs ready to fly were in fantastic condition.

Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft EmptySat Jan 18, 2020 5:37 pm

yes i have also seen pigeons nesting in daft places but only in crowded lofts ...we had 8 cocks in a 8x6 feet section daz ,they had 9 races on the bounce at the end we still had 7/8 and won the english averages ,so to say the birds are happier and less loses when in many numbers is not the case for me ...no one size fits all with pigeons
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft EmptySun Jan 19, 2020 10:27 am

I, Oldstrain have 16 nest boxes in 6 X 5. Another 12 nest boxes next door. The third 7 x 6 housed the youngsters. Agreed all have an airvary later. Trouble was Got over run with pigeons lol.
Later put a stock when I built the brick one. But the compartments were the same. Had 2-3 pairs always determined to nest on floor. A made a wooden 'Tea- Cosy contraption and placed over the nest. Best thing was that they eyed another nest directly opposite lol.
Kept eye on the birds feeding too. Great natural protectiveness inbuilt lol. Gosh did they trap lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Per Pigeon Space in Loft   Per Pigeon Space in Loft Empty

Back to top Go down

Per Pigeon Space in Loft
Page 1 of 1