Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
What to plant  Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 9:25 am

» Weather today
What to plant  Emptyby David Today at 9:20 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
What to plant  Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
What to plant  Emptyby David Yesterday at 4:53 pm

» escaped birds return
What to plant  Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 10:42 am

» Scandalous .......
What to plant  Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
What to plant  Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
What to plant  Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
What to plant  Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) What to plant  20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 98 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 98 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.What to plant  Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
What to plant  Vote_lcapWhat to plant  Voting_barWhat to plant  Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222734 messages in 14002 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
What to plant  Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
What to plant  Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

What to plant

Go down 
+3
Dazzel
barnie
Boosey
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: What to plant    What to plant  EmptySat May 02, 2020 2:46 pm

I’ve made 4 raised beds in my garden, in the one closest to the loft I wanted to plant some things that the pigeons liked to peck at, and what’s good for them.

I’ve already had a hen harvest all my lettuce, radish and beetroot seedlings, I went into the loft after work and found a hen with 2 big clay boots on and clay stuck to her beak, I’m no Sherlock Holmes, but I think I found the culprit. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  EmptySat May 02, 2020 4:39 pm

Water cress, cheap seeds, quick growing and birds love it
Back to top Go down
Dazzel
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  EmptySat May 02, 2020 5:09 pm

Used to have four squares of a rockery with heather. Joyce not happy. So - obeying dutifully, I replaced with matching slabs.

A 3 foot square board then took over. Great and mineral - especially good for youngster picking and pecking around getting contented. Again when first out and keeping close the safety of the loft.

Also would bring in a couple of mole hills. Spread it on to the board, for a couple of days. Then next week replace. Never bothered with grit of minerals. Especially in the loft. Found later just scattering on the slabs was brill.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  EmptySat May 02, 2020 7:14 pm

Can remember viola tricolor being popular at one time, forgot what is was supposed to do but know pigeons liked it and the flowers were very pretty, could serve two purposes.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  EmptySun May 03, 2020 12:57 am

MISTY wrote:
Can remember viola tricolor  being popular at one time, forgot what is was supposed to do but know pigeons liked it and the flowers were very pretty, could serve two purposes.

Regards.
Smile Smile That was an old Bilco thing etc Misty Smile Smile Boil them up, add sugar for what I remember & you then have a health tonic as such. Now Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes if Boosey birds were climber types lol! lol! lol! I would suggest planting a lemon tree there, maybe Very Happy Very Happy & under it, I would plant Aloe Vera plants bounce bounce but only if thinking in a long term nature I'm  affraid as it requires 3/4 years before the benefits flow as such Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  EmptySun May 03, 2020 9:34 am

The viola tricolor Knackered was planted for the pigeons to eat, and they did as I remember and with relish.

Think I tried it in the garden once, a waste of time, gone before it could grow properly.

Aloe Vera a more robust plant used for several purposes ( did not know, looked it up)

But any plant that makes the garden look better and has an added advantage is worth while,

Lemon tree at our age a bitter pill to swallow.

Keep well Knackered.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  EmptySun May 03, 2020 10:35 am

oregano ,mint,garlic
Back to top Go down
Dazzel
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  EmptySun May 03, 2020 12:37 pm

Had a brain wave back in 84, when starting up etc. Mint. Nice smell... true Think heard flies won't land on it etc. etc. So grew it on front of loft - like an Ivy lol. Every thing was on it lol. Could get it off quick enough …. but did smell good lol Wink
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  EmptyMon May 04, 2020 2:01 am

Dazzel wrote:
Had a brain wave back in 84, when starting up etc. Mint. Nice smell... true Think heard flies won't land on it etc. etc. So grew it on front of loft - like an Ivy lol. Every thing was on it lol. Could get it off quick enough …. but did smell good lol Wink
Gardening is about all having brain wave type moments I feel Daz Smile Smile at times. One never quite knows, if what one plants will be a success or a failure etc. Nettles & Elderberry bushes were my greatest failures here I'm  affraid but I at least tried to grow them, so just scrapped through with a pass rate Wink Wink for trying type of thing  Very Happy  Very Happy . cheers
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  EmptyMon May 04, 2020 10:16 am

I can't have jam. Never liked it any way. But was, and still is a good item of preservatives in many a cupboard.
Was a time, when sugar prices allowed, that if one hadn't picked 'Autumn's bounty' and had 30lb of jam or more, it could be a harsh winter and coming year.

However I make / made many jars. Gave most - well nigh all - away. Only part that peeved me was/is getting the jars back. Wink

Now when I took what was left juice wise, I put in bottles. Kids and family loved it. Full of all the goodness. Like wise I froze enough for the year to put a cube in the drinkers. I was / am a great believer in leaving drinkers over night to take the chlorine out. The cubes worked a treat. A little shake or stir and put before the pigeons. I believe that this was / is a great way of suppling the Vitamins etc.

Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  EmptyMon May 04, 2020 10:36 am

Jam was certainly the order of the day when I was young.

Bread and jam made many a meal for many, and would keep forever if unopened.

Nearly as good on toast as dripping.

My gran made many different jams and preserves as did many at that time.

Tasted better than the present day examples, some tasteless.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  EmptyMon May 04, 2020 1:30 pm

get them stinging nettles planted steve lol! seriously ,you could do alot worse so why not have a weed garden of nettles and dandelion and errrrrrm maybe some of hals special nettles in the mix lol! lol! lol! cheers afro jocolor geek pirat pirat
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  EmptyMon May 04, 2020 4:42 pm

If you decide to take up the nettle etc; way boosey, just let me know, I have every weed, known and unknown in the garden, doing very well at the moment, you are most welcome to, free of charge.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  EmptyTue May 05, 2020 2:44 am

MISTY wrote:
If you decide to take up the nettle etc; way boosey, just let me know, I have every weed, known and unknown in the garden, doing very well at the moment, you are most welcome to, free of charge.

Regards.
Must have Wink Wink Viola Tricolor (heartsease plant) there maybe Misty Smile Smile Now Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes the brew as such bounce bounce heat one pint of water, take one desert spoon of Viola Tricolor in a linen bag & let rest like a normal tea, then add 1 pound of sugar & reheat till it all turns into a syrup type mixture. Let stand for a few weeks & then scrap the scum off that may form on the top. 1 desert spoon to a normal drinker every day of the year. Birds will be bounce bounce bounce with glee etc lol! lol! lol! & for those owners that may like the odd drop Very Happy Very Happy of sherry or port, just add the same as it will help with your heart & respiratory issues you may just have Smile Smile. Now  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  lol!  lol!  lol! don't think I'm smart here  Wink  Wink as it all comes from one of those Old Hand books that were the flavour of the month many years ago etc. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  EmptyTue May 05, 2020 8:15 am

Yep. remember Old Hand remedies etc; Knackered.

But I know the pigeons loved eating the flowers themselves.

White tablets for going light I was never without, never had to use them much but they did work.

The sport has gone progressively from natural to commercial to the detriment of all concerned other than the commercial boys.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  EmptyTue May 05, 2020 10:50 am

MISTY wrote:
Yep. remember Old Hand remedies etc; Knackered.

But I know  the  pigeons loved eating the flowers themselves.

White tablets for going light I was never without, never had to use them much but they did work.

The sport has gone progressively from natural to commercial to the detriment of all concerned other than the commercial boys.

Regards.
Interesting period Misty Smile Smile Back then Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes compared to how things are done today etc. Some good, some bad advise offered, but certainly a different time zone/period for pigeons, with all things considered now I suggest. cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  EmptyTue May 05, 2020 11:33 am

Dazzel wrote:
Smile Smile Reminds me of a thing I grow here Daz Smile Smile called Feverfew etc can be used for the birds, but I just like seeing the daisy type flowers grow now each year. cheers
Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  EmptyTue May 05, 2020 9:50 pm

My Dad always had viola tricola all over the garden for the pigeons to peck at.
There was a little old man must have been in he’s 90s we always saw him peddling up a really steep hill on he’s bike when we visited my Nan our in the sticks, and my dad said he drank viola tricolour tea every day.
He reckoned it made your heart bigger and stronger.
I dong know if there’s any truth to it, but one things for sure, I couldn’t peddle up that hill now, let alone when I’m 90+. Razz
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  EmptyWed May 06, 2020 12:44 am

Boosey wrote:
My Dad always had viola tricola all over the garden for the pigeons to peck at.
There was a little old man must have been in he’s 90s we always saw him peddling up a really steep hill on he’s bike when we visited my Nan our in the sticks, and my dad said he drank viola tricolour tea every day.
He reckoned it made your heart bigger and stronger.
I dong know if there’s any truth to it, but one things for sure, I couldn’t peddle up that hill now, let alone when I’m 90+. Razz
lol! lol! lol! I know that feeling etc Boosey Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes just went down my mountain here Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad & hung the washing. Knackered, completely bounce bounce by the time I got back up to my back door as such Wink Wink. cheers & take care.
Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  EmptyWed May 06, 2020 6:39 am

lol!
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  EmptyWed May 06, 2020 9:01 am

Hi Boosey, your dad was obviously of the old school who were more with nature than those of today who use more synthetic artificial aids to win. ( most useless or there would not be so many).

If you decide on Viola Tricolo you would have to have plenty growing at the same time because they do gobble it up.

You could cover the area over until the plants were well established because otherwise they are eaten as they come through the soil.

As you know the flowers are very pretty which would add a bit of colour.

Anyway the best of luck.

Like Hal I never knew what the pigeons ate on open loft they probably ate to offset my bad management, anyway it worked for me never any health problems.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What to plant  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to plant    What to plant  Empty

Back to top Go down

What to plant
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Racing Pigeons,Show & Fancy Pigeons :: General Pigeon News :: Weather-
Jump to: