Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Handed down through the ages Emptyby David Today at 3:16 pm

» Weather today
Handed down through the ages Emptyby David Today at 9:20 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Handed down through the ages Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Handed down through the ages Emptyby David Yesterday at 4:53 pm

» escaped birds return
Handed down through the ages Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 10:42 am

» Scandalous .......
Handed down through the ages Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
Handed down through the ages Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
Handed down through the ages Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Handed down through the ages Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Handed down through the ages 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 92 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 91 Guests :: 1 Bot

David

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Handed down through the ages Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Handed down through the ages Vote_lcapHanded down through the ages Voting_barHanded down through the ages Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Handed down through the ages Vote_lcapHanded down through the ages Voting_barHanded down through the ages Vote_rcap 
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222735 messages in 14002 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Handed down through the ages Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Handed down through the ages Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Handed down through the ages

Go down 
+4
Daz
MISTY
oldstrain
Boosey
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

Handed down through the ages Empty
PostSubject: Handed down through the ages   Handed down through the ages EmptySun May 24, 2020 9:32 am

What are the best tips you still use today that your parents and grandparents handed down to you.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Handed down through the ages   Handed down through the ages EmptySun May 24, 2020 12:02 pm

cracking topic steve Very Happy our grandad used to have those pot eggs that break in half and he used to send me to the garden often to get a beetle or spider or some form of insect that he could put inside the egg before basketing for a long race to simulate a hatching chick ...i know this is widespread knowledge now but just to kick the topic off like ...not really relevant but always remember the smell of the old johnsons tonic different today though not nearly the same ,he always had lots of mint growing near the loft to and said it was very good for them they would always be down pecking at it like they do here he would also go nuts if nan used to weed the garden of the dandelions Wink great days great memories ,god bless
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Handed down through the ages   Handed down through the ages EmptySun May 24, 2020 12:43 pm

Never count your chickens before they are hatched helps in life in general and in our sport in particular, the old, do not open a window whilst down in a submarine. is also helpful.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Handed down through the ages   Handed down through the ages EmptySun May 24, 2020 6:36 pm

Observation! In and out the loft.
Some see in minutes ...  what others won't in a life time.
But of course the first of 5 C's. Contentment.
Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

PostSubject: Re: Handed down through the ages   Handed down through the ages EmptySun May 24, 2020 10:32 pm

Ha ha, same here Darren, I remember my dad sending me out looking for beetles to put in the eggs. Razz .
I remember getting chicken sized plastic eggs with small toys in, and my dad pinching them to put under the pigeons.
I remember in the school holidays it was my job to dip all the pigeons, 2 minutes each, and work it into the feathers.
Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Handed down through the ages   Handed down through the ages EmptySun May 24, 2020 11:08 pm

Never count your chickens before they have hatched
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Handed down through the ages   Handed down through the ages EmptyMon May 25, 2020 2:21 am

Don Webb wrote:
Never count your chickens before they have hatched
Told Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes never to piss into the wind lol! lol! lol! or you could have some embarrassing type moments to explain etc Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Handed down through the ages   Handed down through the ages EmptyMon May 25, 2020 10:01 am

Daz wrote:
Observation! In and out the loft.
Some see in minutes ...  what others won't in a life time.
But of course the first of 5 C's. Contentment.

this has to be one of the most important elements of pigeon racing ...observation ,pay attention to everything Shocked
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Handed down through the ages   Handed down through the ages EmptyMon May 25, 2020 10:09 am

I think paying attention to and observation is important in ALL WALKS of life and is just common sense, or one is walking in the dark.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Handed down through the ages   Handed down through the ages EmptyMon May 25, 2020 10:37 am

i guess i mean like observing regularly taking the time to observe traits and observe nest positions and health etc...etc...alot cant be bothered they expect to throw the corn in the loft and get the red card on raceday ,anyhow what about tips handed down ....where are they ok we have the usual sayings like dont eat yellow snow etc...but what about practical tips
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Handed down through the ages   Handed down through the ages EmptyMon May 25, 2020 10:46 am

A very good fancier from Scotland. Jimmy White, like I did used to rly on F.M.B. E.M.B.

When asked what the F.M.B. was when winning well he just smiled.

I knew straight away as I did it too!

I'd wager 90% were be dead set against it.
Basketing day ... early morning bath.

They get wet and stretch out and rest!

People say 'You will ruin the bloom' etc.
I smile and say 'Bloom doesn't fly … just shows condition maybe.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Handed down through the ages   Handed down through the ages EmptyMon May 25, 2020 4:04 pm

Could not agree more oldstrain regarding our sport and slap dash methods used by some, thought the question meant old wives tales etc; rather than pigeons.

The reason I only kept a few pigeons was because I wanted to know them as individuals and all their little quirks etc; that could be put to good use.

No one can do that with hundreds of pigeons in the loft.

Far easier than hit and miss and relying on numbers and good luck.

Also very less expensive using the latter.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Handed down through the ages   Handed down through the ages EmptyMon May 25, 2020 5:44 pm

Keep them in the loft on day of basketing. If they're not fit enough to win by a Thursday, letting them out Friday isn't going to win the race Saturday.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Handed down through the ages   Handed down through the ages EmptyMon May 25, 2020 6:05 pm

barnie wrote:
Keep them in the loft on day of basketing. If they're not fit enough to win by a Thursday, letting them out Friday isn't going to win the race Saturday.

That is so true
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: Handed down through the ages   Handed down through the ages EmptyMon May 25, 2020 9:38 pm

How to win ..hate being best do I and my brother barry. We get it off our dad that .
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Handed down through the ages   Handed down through the ages EmptyTue May 26, 2020 1:51 am

barnie wrote:
Smile Smile Agree Wink Wink. Truth be told thou Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes here, I had to do it that way etc bounce bounce as my other half, always fed my birds mid afternoon also as I was at work & felt it was always a mad type rush scenario on basket night doing other things, as I was always getting home in the dark as such for most of the race season here, being winter for the most part. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Handed down through the ages   Handed down through the ages Empty

Back to top Go down

Handed down through the ages
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Racing Pigeons,Show & Fancy Pigeons :: General Pigeon News :: Weather-
Jump to: