Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Thoughts of want Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 11:50 am

» escaped birds return
Thoughts of want Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 11:40 am

» Good Morning
Thoughts of want Emptyby barnie Today at 11:35 am

» Weather today
Thoughts of want Emptyby oldstrain Today at 10:53 am

» good luck weekend
Thoughts of want Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:05 am

» Scandalous .......
Thoughts of want Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
Thoughts of want Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
Thoughts of want Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Thoughts of want Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:25 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Thoughts of want 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 76 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 75 Guests :: 2 Bots

barnie

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Thoughts of want Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Thoughts of want Vote_lcapThoughts of want Voting_barThoughts of want Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222590 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Thoughts of want Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Thoughts of want Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Thoughts of want

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Thoughts of want Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts of want   Thoughts of want EmptySat May 30, 2020 11:51 am

Last night, I watch 'Vera'.
I thought, feel, think it maybe was set in, Morpeth. However, whatever, there was great part of lofts on an allotment, or such.
Had a few nice takes of the 'Pigeons'!

My heart went out to them. The colour and conditions were superb. Yes granted they were having a great 'Out Door' Environment. But the health oozed through.

Gosh, nigh started thinking - ok dreaming, that maybe, just maybe I could start up again. Get 6 pairs of old birds. All completely unrelated. That goes in regards 6 different bred hens, and likewise cock birds.

Start in August and see how I go.
Yes sitting in the chair, mind full of great memories. of times, when I thought, dreamt about what I would do when I retired.
Of recent times when the pigeons, for one reason or another had to take a back seat.

The loft is great, and still cool in this weather,. Never a need for wet sacking over roofs. Always warm in winter - never a frozen drinker!

The the sadness of reality hits home again … ah ...….
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Thoughts of want Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts of want   Thoughts of want EmptySat May 30, 2020 11:59 am

Things we loved and took for granted. eh! … no longer able.
A short time ago, I dived in the river and swam up to the looks. Couldn't climb the ladder to get out lol.
Had to swim back to a bank to get out lol.
Down at the stream - catching the stickle backs in a jam jar. Wetting feet under the arches.

In a small part under the train lines as the trains went about your head less than a foot above your head.
The quarries and old mines, where Newts and lizard's abounded. The coolness, and my fear going in etc.

Swimming all day in the rivers - still do if given a chance lol. Playing tick in the water. Diving off the locks or a very high bridge.
Then the heat when Potatoes picking.
Working the farm on a sledge behind a bailer. Up at 5 till 12 at night sometimes on the far.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Thoughts of want Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts of want   Thoughts of want EmptySat May 30, 2020 12:49 pm

Feel sorry for the youth of today, can see no future worth thinking about (if there is one).

Helping out on the farm was part and parcel of life for many youngsters, from pea picking (paid by the number of bags you filled, weighed and paid, always topped them right up so you had a start on the next bag) potato picking was fun taken to the fields on a horse and cart, back breaking but fun. Also helped when the combine came to thrash the corn, chaff carrier, small seed collected for the pigeons etc;

Most of my friends were naturalists, if you call bird nest bandits and taking anything that flew, swam or walked as pets.

In season everything country wise that one could eat was fair game.

A catapult was a deadly weapon in the right hands.

But my closest friends were all pigeon mad and were the most important aspect of our lives.

Could go through all the gambits of building lofts from anything you could lay your hands on and climbing roofs to catch an absentee, but memories are made of these and although I feel blessed to have lived in the times I have I still have the urge to put one or two pigeons in the loft, and then on reflection think it would be selfish.????????.

Regards

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Thoughts of want Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts of want   Thoughts of want EmptySat May 30, 2020 10:39 pm

MISTY wrote:
Feel sorry for the youth of today, can see no future worth thinking about (if there is one).

Helping out on the farm was part and parcel of life for many youngsters, from pea picking (paid by the number of bags you filled, weighed and paid, always topped them right up so you had a start on the next bag) potato picking was fun taken to the fields on a horse and cart, back breaking but fun. Also helped  when the combine came to thrash the corn, chaff carrier, small seed collected for the pigeons etc;

Most of my friends were naturalists, if  you call bird nest bandits and taking anything that flew,  swam or walked as pets.

In season everything country wise that one could eat was fair game.

A catapult was a deadly weapon in the right hands.

But my closest friends were all pigeon mad and were the most important aspect of our lives.

Could go through all the gambits of building lofts from anything you could lay your hands on and climbing roofs to catch an absentee, but memories are made of these and although I feel blessed to have lived in the times I have I still have the urge to put one or two pigeons in the loft, and then on reflection think it would be selfish.????????.

Regards    

Soft Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes is how I would best describe many of them I'm affraid Misty Smile Smile our youth of today etc. Take away their mobile phones/I pad/computer & they would riot in the streets now bounce bounce because life would just be to hard to live type of thing for many of them Smile Smile & think of even giving them a pick/shovel to use  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad & they would require Google now to tell them how to use them as such I suggest  Wink  Wink. cheers & take care.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Thoughts of want Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts of want   Thoughts of want EmptySun May 31, 2020 9:01 am

Daz wrote:
Things we loved and took for granted. eh! …  no longer able.
A short time ago, I dived in the river and swam up to the looks. Couldn't climb the ladder to get out lol.
Had to swim back to a bank to get out lol.
Down at the stream - catching the stickle backs in a jam jar. Wetting feet under the arches.

In a small part under the train lines as the trains went about your head less than a foot above your head.
The quarries and old mines, where Newts and lizard's abounded. The coolness, and my fear going in etc.

Swimming all day in the rivers - still do if given a chance lol. Playing tick in the water. Diving off the locks or a very high bridge.
Then the heat when Potatoes picking.
Working the farm on a sledge behind a bailer. Up at 5 till 12 at night sometimes on the far.

yeah the days of entertaining ourselves outdoors are gone i am afraid sad but true diving in rivers entering caves making dens ,plinking tin cans etc...had to laugh at the sticklebats bit seems most of us were at that ,alot of social bonding/education is gained from such but alas now all you get is a grunt from behind a screen No
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Thoughts of want Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts of want   Thoughts of want Empty

Back to top Go down

Thoughts of want
Page 1 of 1