Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» King removes Patronage
Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 7:21 pm

» Good Morning
Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? Emptyby David Yesterday at 5:50 pm

» Weather today
Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? Emptyby David Yesterday at 9:20 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» escaped birds return
Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 10:42 am

» Scandalous .......
Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 47 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 46 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? Vote_lcapPigeon oil...fantasy or fact? Voting_barPigeon oil...fantasy or fact? Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? Vote_lcapPigeon oil...fantasy or fact? Voting_barPigeon oil...fantasy or fact? Vote_rcap 
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222738 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact?

Go down 
+3
oldstrain
MISTY
Durhamlad
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Durhamlad
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? Empty
PostSubject: Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact?   Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? EmptySun Sep 13, 2020 4:46 pm

Apologies if I appear to be here under false pretenses but please bear with me. In the late fifties, and sixties my Grandad had a 'retirement' job at Birtley dog track. He checked the dogs in and kept them secure until racing. As a boy I used to visit and watch. I got the impression that he knew quite a lot. Some years later when I had 'grown up' and was working away I met with him and there was the usual chat, however, at that time I had a young German shepherd dog that appeared to have joint problems. I mentioned this and he gave me a 'knowing look'. He presented me with what he called 'pigeon oil' in the old fashioned, unmarked bottle, and prescribed a teaspoon mixed into every meal. He said that it loosened up the joints and allowed more stretch in the racing dogs. I did what I was told. The point is that, in a very short time, the 'Shepherd' was enjoying running and, the bonus, his long coat was gleaming. Now my son's dog has similar problems and I'd really appreciate some constructive comment. Many thanks.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact?   Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? EmptySun Sep 13, 2020 7:41 pm

Several products sold under the name Pigeon Oil.

Do not know anyone who uses them but some must or they would not be produced.

Hope you find the one that maybe of help.

Anyone welcome to participate i am sure, as long as they do not want to borrow a few bob.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
Durhamlad
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact?   Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? EmptySun Sep 13, 2020 8:35 pm

Perhaps he was the Medicine man with his special snake oil?
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact?   Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? EmptySun Sep 13, 2020 8:45 pm

our dog had issues with her joints ,she is 11 now and fully active ...we feed mackerel or sardines for her breakfast and give a glucosamine tablet in the evening with her food and its worked well ,atb
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact?   Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? EmptySun Sep 13, 2020 10:10 pm

Have taken Glucosomine and Condestaral tablets {SPELLING??) for many years, one every day, they are combined into one tablet.

Was advised years ago by a friend when I complained about having to have a new hip.

The other was diagnosed as on the way out also but it has lasted over 15 years since I had the other one renewed and is still OK.

Must do some good.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
Durhamlad
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact?   Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? EmptyMon Sep 14, 2020 9:41 am

Many thanks for the advice. We'll give it a go!
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact?   Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? EmptyMon Sep 14, 2020 10:29 am

If originally for greyhounds back in the day possibly cod liver oil supplements also used in the horse world
Back to top Go down
halcanada81
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact?   Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? EmptyMon Sep 14, 2020 2:10 pm

My old dog has joint problems. He gets 5 drops of Cannabis oil Daughter makes it) in a treat nightly. Many people take 3 drops nightly to ease pain in joints.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact?   Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? EmptyMon Sep 14, 2020 3:47 pm

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Pigeon+oil+medicence&cvid=b120efb0053d4d2cad207111a0ebeb9a&pglt=43&FORM=ANNTA1&PC=LCTS

As I once posted. A gypsy that lived in a council house was very active. Run and help many sports in town. A wealth of knowledge to boot. He play a little football at an age. And cricket at a very old age.
told me a mix of three oils were the secret. Castor.olive, and I have, sadly. forgot the other.
Back to top Go down
Durhamlad
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact?   Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? EmptyMon Sep 14, 2020 5:10 pm

Perhaps he was making sense? Some concoction of three, that would have been common at that time. Cod liver, Castor, linseed? (no doubt with some added 'special ingredients'). If only I had the formula Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact?   Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? EmptyTue Sep 15, 2020 12:38 pm

When in a 'Sports men' changing room. Be it Football or Boxing etc. You could smell the 'Winter green and Linseed' oil. We rubbed well in. Loosend our muscles. Seemed to serve a good purpose.
Now, banned and you can't get it. - please tell me if i'm wrong.

Back to top Go down
Durhamlad
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact?   Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? EmptyTue Sep 15, 2020 2:31 pm

Wow Daz..wintergreen. That takes me back...that smell! Yes, you can still get it, although now it is an 'essential oil'. Apparently the active ingredient is methyl salicylate which is produced synthetically these days. Life's a constant education! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact?   Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? EmptyTue Sep 15, 2020 9:32 pm

When I first had anything to do with our feathred friends, around 80 years ago, the sport was not in it's infancy, there were many potions concoctions and many of those mentioned were well known in one way or another at that time, all that has happened is the commercial boys have decided which they can make the most money from and exploited the situation.

The one thing many do not take into consideration is that a pigeon cannot be made to go beyond it's natural ability irrespective of any concoctions.

The main thing is that the pigeon is capable of doing what you want it to in the first place, then getting it in the best condition health and motive wise to enable it to do it's best.

Both can be attained by common sense and withot any concoctions.

The health of present day pigeons has been ruined, they need constand vet attention, even the top lofts, they have no immune system of any consequence and many treated them like ROBOTS, good for a very short time then spent forces.

Too late to change the over all situation gone too far down the wrong road.

But wth common sense and aforethught both the pigeons and the fancier can be reasonably successful without anything other than what nature tells you and not the commercial boys.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact?   Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? EmptyWed Sep 16, 2020 2:25 am

Durhamlad wrote:
Wow Daz..wintergreen. That takes me back...that smell! Yes, you can still get it, although now it is an 'essential oil'. Apparently the active ingredient is methyl salicylate which is produced synthetically these days. Life's a constant education! Rolling Eyes  
Smile Smile True Durhamlad Very Happy Very Happy just being on this forum here etc Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes is a real education at times WinkWink. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact?   Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact? Empty

Back to top Go down

Pigeon oil...fantasy or fact?
Page 1 of 1