Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Late Breeds Emptyby David Yesterday at 6:18 pm

» escaped birds return
Late Breeds Emptyby David Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» Weather today
Late Breeds Emptyby David Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Late Breeds Emptyby David Yesterday at 12:01 pm

» good luck weekend
Late Breeds Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 2:24 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Late Breeds Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

» Scandalous .......
Late Breeds Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
Late Breeds Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
Late Breeds Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Late Breeds 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 61 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 61 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Late Breeds Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Late Breeds Vote_lcapLate Breeds Voting_barLate Breeds Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Knackered
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222655 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Late Breeds Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Late Breeds Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Late Breeds

Go down 
+3
Daz
barnie
Jason_P83
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Jason_P83
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

Late Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Late Breeds   Late Breeds EmptyMon Apr 12, 2021 12:34 pm

Hi all, this is my first year breeding/racing. Does anyone hear have issues with late breeds going missing after they get a bit strong on the wing? I introduced 2 late breeds to my loft 2 weeks ago, they were doing just fine but have now been missing for over 24hours after their first "big fly" with the main flock. Is there a chance i might get them back or should i just write them off and forget about them?
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

Late Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late Breeds   Late Breeds EmptyMon Apr 12, 2021 1:01 pm

You can never tell, hopefully you'll be lucky if they've been flying locally round the garden and up on the shed roof and been going in and out the loft for a while but if they've never been up in the skies properly then it's anyone's guess. Fingers crossed for you.
Back to top Go down
Jason_P83
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

Late Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late Breeds   Late Breeds EmptyMon Apr 12, 2021 1:27 pm

barnie wrote:
You can never tell, hopefully you'll be lucky if they've been flying locally round the garden and up on the shed roof and been going in and out the loft for a while but if they've never been up in the skies properly then it's anyone's guess. Fingers crossed for you.

They've been up a few times and around the area but strange they didn't come home at all. Could be cat or hawk food by now. Time will tell
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Late Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late Breeds   Late Breeds EmptyMon Apr 12, 2021 2:29 pm

I found it best, before my Aviary days, to let the youngster walk out the door. Have some grit on the path or front of the loft. They will walk in and out before on the wing.

I followed advice once from a fancier in Scarborough. He took his youngster out of the nest real early. Placed them in a basket, then allowed them to walk in and out of the basket for feed and water. Yes, keep an eye out. Especially if they blink, a for need water.
Then after a few days allowed in the loft. Old birds, if still having young, will also feed them. Then let them walk in and out of the main door.

Most fanciers, on race days, left youngster on loft/shed roofs. Yes, water aside, of course.
Patience is the primary virtue here, I'd say.

Of course, an Aviary lets them have a great look about it before going out. I also say LEave them to decide for themself when ready to go out. And in.
Main door open means they can and will quickly go in if frightened or sense danger. The loft a is 'haven of safety' eh! J.M.O.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Late Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late Breeds   Late Breeds EmptyMon Apr 12, 2021 8:37 pm

With open loft you have no problems with the young settling in
they do what comes naturally.

Never had a problem.

They know when they are well off and parents I feel play a part we know
nothing about. 

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Late Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late Breeds   Late Breeds EmptyTue Apr 13, 2021 9:19 am

late breds are as good as any yb but they dont usually do well because most rush them and dont give them the same time and respect as a yb bred earlier in the year,i think late breds are wasted ,be much better to breed a team of lates and treat them as you would the spring bred ybs and train them through october ,me i always bred what i wanted in the spring and always had enough left for the following year to race ,those 2 missing late breds may be back yet ,keep the faith atb
Back to top Go down
Jason_P83
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

Late Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late Breeds   Late Breeds EmptyTue Apr 13, 2021 10:08 am

Strange as these 2 that didn't come back were flying around the loft for 2 weeks. Both missing for 2 days now so i dare say they're gone for good
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Late Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late Breeds   Late Breeds EmptyTue Apr 13, 2021 10:53 am

ive had ybs come back after being away for 5 days, so they might still come back yet .........
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Late Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late Breeds   Late Breeds EmptyTue Apr 13, 2021 11:49 am

oldstrain wrote:
late breds are as good as any yb but they dont usually do well because most rush them and dont give them the same time and respect as a yb bred earlier in the year,i think late breds are wasted ,be much better to breed a team of lates and treat them as you would the spring bred ybs and train them through october ,me i always bred what i wanted in the spring and always had enough left for the following year to race ,those 2 missing late breds may be back yet ,keep the faith atb

I agree 100% Once a 'Newbie, has a settlling of old birds I would concentrate on pairing and beeding late breds. Bred in the purple, lightly raced, a couple of 100 -150 miler races, first time in the basket.

Then one can know that the pigeons are settled. like the system and will home.
Yes, have 6 pairs or so of proven  - hopefully proven breeders - to have a team of youngster bred for a y/b season if .... I'd say 2 rounds ,put together end of March. first week of April. Will fly the programs.

Of course depends on room, time and patience.... and costs maybe.
Open loft - i believe is far superior to any other system, if able etc. B.O.P. Cats etc.

Mind a £100 set up of an Electric fence will more than keep cats well away. J.M.O.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Late Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late Breeds   Late Breeds EmptyTue Apr 13, 2021 4:16 pm

Jason_P83 wrote:
Strange as these 2 that didn't come back were flying around the loft for 2 weeks.  Both missing for 2 days now so i dare say they're  gone for good

are they cocks that have been seperated ...i had a prisoner stock bird get out once and where the stock were situated they could not see my surroundings ,this stock bird came from holland ,anyway it got out and 9 days later i went outside in the morning and it was pecking around the garden Shocked it was a hen but only ever layed canary sized eggs "weird" so never managed to actually breed from it pale
so theres plenty hope ,hunger will see them back if they have something about themselves atb
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Late Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late Breeds   Late Breeds EmptyTue Apr 13, 2021 6:51 pm

When the late Steve Spinks and I were discussing the homing instinct he  pointed out an experiment that had  been carried out.

A number of pigeons were bred in an enclosed building that gave no access  to the outside, could not see out at all.

When they were strong on the wing they were taken several miles (cannot remember how many).

Never having seen the outside.

The majority landed back on the building.

We know very little about the homing instinct.

Another thing we discussed was that nature may put in certain pigeons  the wonderlust so they move to another area and give new  blood to the area.

Most answers are in nature, the more you ignore it BANG.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Late Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late Breeds   Late Breeds EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 11:25 am

A pair of youngster/ squabs from Germany, in the 80's never been out, were bbroughte to Swindon. After two years, never out,, but kept for stock, one got out. Straight back to where it was born. Phones between them. Fncier said keep it. let out it came back to Swindon straight off. race with sucess, winning a few.

I had a scruffy urchin of a feral squeaker. Cleaned it up a mite. Would travel in and out... and first in loft if any sense of danger.
Great watch dog eh!

Any way I took it with the other old birds, first time in basket! Beat them home easily. Never got beat by any other bird, young or old etc.

A so called mate, interested for years in pigeons... too tight to have any, though does now -  came round to see me time in from a race. Went the loft and had a nose per usual. Walked out and had necked this feral. I could have killed him! He never was allowed in my garden again.

Last edited by Daz on Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jason_P83
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

Late Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late Breeds   Late Breeds EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 11:29 am

Well 3 days later, 1 of the late bred youngsters have come home. Checked the loft after work and there he was..
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Late Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late Breeds   Late Breeds EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 11:42 am

Jason_P83 wrote:
Well 3 days later, 1 of the late bred youngsters have come home. Checked the loft after work and there he was..
Bet it will be a hard one to lose now jason.

Still plenty of time  for the other one to turn up.

Just keep in mind, a good fancier is not one with money that BUYs success but one who wins out of turn against the odds.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Late Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late Breeds   Late Breeds EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 11:47 am

Now, without a doubt, I KNOW that made you happy.
Yes, part and partial of enjoyment. Especially after a demise, eh!
It is very much an up and down hobby in that scenario, mate. But overall more good than not so goods. Plus, the dreams and intentions of the 'Future' will stir the mind and hearts.
I spent a day with a tip-top flyer once. Was my nephew's father in law. Who told me very little, to be honest.
When leaving, he stated a very actual fact. He said, 'Roly, you haven't learnt much today now, have you! I replied, disappointedly, 'No' the under my breathe A*se*hole lol.
Then the crux. Now go and listen, take heed of the basic from club members. In two years or so, come back, and we will spend a lot of time together. But whatever one tells you now, you will- quite naturally try to improve on and steal a march. That will be a learning curve. One you may or may not have success. The important thing is to 'Know' why and how the good or bad happens—no substitute for experience, Roly. But you have my phone number, call me any time. Also, I will breed you a pair of youngsters, as my mate - an excellent flyer Jor Orourke will. Etc etc. How true. Indeed as true today for me, as
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Late Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late Breeds   Late Breeds EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 8:02 am

good news ,lets hope the other turns in bounce
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Late Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late Breeds   Late Breeds EmptySat Apr 17, 2021 8:04 am

Jason_P83 wrote:
glad he found his way back somehow etc Jason Smile Smile lesson to be learnt there maybe Wink Wink & maybe one to just keep an eye on type of thing now Very Happy Very Happy. cheers
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Late Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late Breeds   Late Breeds EmptySat Apr 17, 2021 8:28 am

Jason_P83 wrote:

great news, glad it made it home.........sometimes they just loose their way, or get dragged along with other birds, sometimes they make a good bird after their experience. cheers
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

Late Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late Breeds   Late Breeds EmptySat Apr 17, 2021 10:50 am

give it a few days rest to pick up before you turn it out, should be ok now it's had a taste away from it's home. Skies be full of trainers so maybe they tagged on?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Late Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late Breeds   Late Breeds Empty

Back to top Go down

Late Breeds
Page 1 of 1