Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 9:05 am

» Weather today
Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 7:42 am

» King removes Patronage
Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 58 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 58 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ Vote_lcapDo ybs need to fly for hours...../ Voting_barDo ybs need to fly for hours...../ Vote_rcap 
David
Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ Vote_lcapDo ybs need to fly for hours...../ Voting_barDo ybs need to fly for hours...../ Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222765 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Do ybs need to fly for hours...../

Go down 
+2
kev d
David
6 posters
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ Empty
PostSubject: Do ybs need to fly for hours...../   Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 9:22 pm

do ybs need to fly for an hour or two twice a day.........? wont they be fit enough to race/win if they dont fly for very long?
Back to top Go down
kev d
Youngbird
Youngbird
kev d

PostSubject: Re: Do ybs need to fly for hours...../   Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 9:38 pm

david all this clap trap about making your yb fly for a hour 2x aday is total crap
don,t all ways believe what you read or hear because most are forced to flap around the chimney pots
and i mean FLAP with no vigor . its all down to what amount of energy they put in to there exercise and how long they do it for , mine fly for amax i5 to 20 mins but i can see they go ranging over the hills in front of my lofts about 5 or 6 miles away ive got unristricked views in front of my loft i can see them when they land i know they have had a good fly ok 15 to 20 mins is not a long time but the energy they put in to that exercise
is a lot they land and a few mins later the same things happen a gain off they go . routine is good for the pigeons but some times routine brings on boredom and thats the last thing you want .
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: Do ybs need to fly for hours...../   Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 9:40 pm

david your young birds go out at 1 oclock and they are flying for one and a half hours
only out once a day.
and we have been happy the way thy have been coming.
i never use a flag on them .
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Do ybs need to fly for hours...../   Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 9:50 pm

why im asking is because i have them away training mon to thursday, but sometimes at the afternoon/evening exercise they fly around for maybe only ten/fifteen minutes.......by what ive been told this could be due to the fact they are paired up and this is holding them back, if this is all the exercise they are getting is there ant chance they will race well or wont they be fit enough to win.....?
Back to top Go down
kev d
Youngbird
Youngbird
kev d

PostSubject: Re: Do ybs need to fly for hours...../   Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 9:59 pm

david i think 4 times a week is enough for training they always lose
that hunger for flying round the loft when there training just let them relax round the loft
but keep them under control if there training 4 times a week make sure you give them
the right amount of fuel and if your racing paired up you can always take one parent away
the night before and put it back just before you basket for the race .
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Do ybs need to fly for hours...../   Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 10:06 pm

hi kev, at the moment they have only got to ten miles but by next week they will be further......altho im not convinced 35 miles is needed 4 times a week as this is what others on the transporter are doing..... scratch
i have been told to work ybs hard as they are generally lazy if you let them be, but on the other hand i dont want to tire them out but do they need a certain level of fitness to perform well and are mine getting enough exercise ?
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: Do ybs need to fly for hours...../   Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 10:08 pm

david
know the young bird racing has started that;s 3 races we have had.
we only give them one mid week trainer about 20 miles.
we will be 100 miles this week. and after that the races will get longer.
we will not train them any more.
but thy will get out for there 1and a half hour a day.
that;s the way we do it .
not saying it;s the right way for ever one. but it works for our birds.
and thy are feed once a day.
Back to top Go down
kev d
Youngbird
Youngbird
kev d

PostSubject: Re: Do ybs need to fly for hours...../   Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 10:18 pm

if your racing serious with yb then yes they need plenty of training
ive known many a flyer who go through a van every year for training and run the van in to the ground
and buy another one for next season it all depends what you want out of it i mean racing yb .
me im just happy for mine to mature in to nice yearlings for next season with a few chucks in between
just to give them that local knoledge im quite lucky that i live close to the coast if we go there for days out the birds come to they might get one toss every two weeks through out the summer months but thats just me
im thinking of there long term future for the longer races in years to come .
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: Do ybs need to fly for hours...../   Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 10:55 pm

Very Happy We are up to 3 races and this week we are at 147 miles, the week after its 200+ MILES.

My birds have had only 6 training tosses, 8 miles 15 miles 18 miles 20 miles 30 miles and again 30 miles. The reason is every time we train we loose 2or 3 or maybe 6, so after 10 tosses we would have no birds left, this is because of the perigrine problem down here I am just too scared to train.

I had 1 toss mid week and lost 2 raced birds that had just flown 122 miles , lost from 30 miles. My birds were flying 1 hour no forced flying I agree with Kev it depends on quality, flag them and they float like butterflys waste of time.
To day they flew for 28 minutes hard flying and quality, so thats good for me, and if they are racing its enough to keep them in shape.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Do ybs need to fly for hours...../   Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 10:42 pm

From the coments made, there are some good points
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Do ybs need to fly for hours...../   Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 10:47 pm

yes there are don, each fancier has their own methods which work for them........but its interesting fo newcomers to the hoby/sport to hear differences of opinion and use bits from each to use for my own management............... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Do ybs need to fly for hours...../   Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 11:24 pm

Yes your right David but every little bit of info helps
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

PostSubject: Re: Do ybs need to fly for hours...../   Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 11:46 pm

DAVID wrote:
why im asking is because i have them away training mon to thursday, but sometimes at the afternoon/evening exercise they fly around for maybe only ten/fifteen minutes.......by what ive been told this could be due to the fact they are paired up and this is holding them back, if this is all the exercise they are getting is there ant chance they will race well or wont they be fit enough to win.....?
on training day mine dont go out again, before racing alternate days i would let them out before training next day teatime, youre like i was David nervous with reading all losses, it goes after 1st race, your y/bs were flying before mine, dont leave it too long before you race it will get harder and worse for y/bs the longer distance
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Do ybs need to fly for hours...../   Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 12:20 am

hi steve, hoping to get more training this week then into newark open race which is 56 to me.........if i give them two of these then maybe i can jump them into the club racing then. scratch
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

PostSubject: Re: Do ybs need to fly for hours...../   Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 12:32 am

i missed 1st race 67 mile started at 100 nerves did it, i should have sent to 1st, started at 100
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Do ybs need to fly for hours...../   Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 5:49 pm

You should be o.k David no worries at all
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Do ybs need to fly for hours...../   Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 7:36 pm

hi don, been struggling to get some training/racing going............seems im on track again for now and if they get some decent training this week its then into a couple of opens, ill be happy to compete in a few opens and club races if i can .......even tho ill have missed quite a few of them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Do ybs need to fly for hours...../   Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 9:54 pm

Should be o.k David it takes time mate or as i would say one step at a time
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Do ybs need to fly for hours...../   Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 9:55 pm

Will say they should be good yearlings next year
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do ybs need to fly for hours...../   Do ybs need to fly for hours...../ Empty

Back to top Go down

Do ybs need to fly for hours...../
Page 1 of 1