Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» RPRA Partnerships
Tips for new starters........? Emptyby David Today at 10:37 pm

» BHW Subscriptions
Tips for new starters........? Emptyby David Today at 10:36 pm

» Weather today
Tips for new starters........? Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 9:44 pm

» Good Morning
Tips for new starters........? Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 9:42 pm

» King removes Patronage
Tips for new starters........? Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
Tips for new starters........? Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Tips for new starters........? Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Tips for new starters........? Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
Tips for new starters........? Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Tips for new starters........? 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 77 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 76 Guests :: 2 Bots

David

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Tips for new starters........? Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Tips for new starters........? Vote_lcapTips for new starters........? Voting_barTips for new starters........? Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Tips for new starters........? Vote_lcapTips for new starters........? Voting_barTips for new starters........? Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222779 messages in 14005 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Tips for new starters........? Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Tips for new starters........? Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Tips for new starters........?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Tips for new starters........? Empty
PostSubject: Tips for new starters........?   Tips for new starters........? EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:08 pm

as some of our members are aware we have a couple of new members who are also new to pigeon keeping, so could our more experienced fanciers post some advise/info to help them eg loft and equipement, ventilation, feeding, settling birds, or the best place in their area to buy corn/suppliments etc......... Very Happy

any help or advise would be very helpful to them im sure. thanks.
Back to top Go down
SGWBrown
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new starters........?   Tips for new starters........? EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 11:57 pm

As a newcomer (or at least as good as) for me the health and well being of the birds is my priority as I believe that logically everything else will flow from that. To that end I've made a conscious decision to spend 18 months learning to properly understand how to look after a modest number of birds before taking on more and ultimately racing hopefully in 2012 - basically learning to walk before........ Anyway, for me any tips or advice you could give about keeping birds healthy or signs to look for that all might not be well would be very appreciated.

So far I've tried to take into consideration keeping good ventilation - the loft has a large, open panel. Hopefully overcrowding won't be an issue as the pen is 6x6x5 for 4 birds (before I get more I will get a substantially bigger loft) and I've bought a substantial amount of good quality food, minerals, an anti-canker treatment feeders and drinkers.

What else do you think I should invest in to maintain/promote good health?

What are your thoughts on feeds with a high oil content - should I look to add linseed or rape seed oil (or other type) to the food I already have.

The birds are youngsters, 2 of which are from David, thanks again David cna't wait for their arrival tomorrow. Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new starters........?   Tips for new starters........? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 5:49 am

6 inch air vent along back of loft under roof, to let used air out, fresh grit daily, i light spray all loft once a week with pigeon disinfectant, nest boxes perches walls floor all edges/corners, more members will keeping adding mate
Back to top Go down
SGWBrown
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new starters........?   Tips for new starters........? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 9:55 pm

Thanks Steve. Is pigeon disinfectant particularly different from Dettol or other 'domestic' disinfectants? I'm assuming Jeyes Fluid would be too strong?

I have ventilation at the front through a large meshed window but I'll now be adding additional vents at the top rear to encourage a through flow.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new starters........?   Tips for new starters........? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 10:13 pm

hi steve, from what i have been told, the main points to consider in a loft is firstly it must be dry, secondly it must have adequate ventilation but not draughty........in my loft i have a gap front and back just below the roof approx 3 inch and in future i will be fitting vents to the front of the loft approx 1ft up from the flloor possibly in the sliding doors.
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new starters........?   Tips for new starters........? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 10:15 pm

plenty of people on here to help new starters...just ask
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new starters........?   Tips for new starters........? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 10:18 pm

re feeding steve, the corn im feeding my ybs does have linseed already in it which i have read is very good for them.......also another point i would make re your loft/ventilation is that if possible an aviary would be very good or failing this maybe a secondry internal wire door so that during the day you could open the main door and this will allow air circulation and also allow the birds to see their surrounds.......... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new starters........?   Tips for new starters........? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 10:20 pm

peel bros wrote:
plenty of people on here to help new starters...just ask

excellent, good man ray..........if it wasnt for the help and advise i had received from members of this site i wouldnt have a clue now......altho with this being my first year back racing ive realised its harder than i thought but at least ill have learned from my mistakes....... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new starters........?   Tips for new starters........? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 10:40 pm

http://pigeons.taylorschoice.co.uk
anything you need these deliver health/hygiene

if you know selby dracks power station just after church in dracks village turn right, till you get to concrete wall at side of river, turn left go as far as you can go youre at farm shop to right will b 2 12ft lofts, warehouse to left they sshow you all different corn/seeds
Back to top Go down
SGWBrown
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new starters........?   Tips for new starters........? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 10:54 pm

Cheers Steve - Taylors websit now saved in favourites.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new starters........?   Tips for new starters........? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 11:09 pm

something i have done this season which our members told me about is the use of honey in the drinkers, tue, thurs and saturdays i add honey and cider vinegar to the water at a rate of 5ml each per litre. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mick B
Chipping
Chipping
Mick B

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new starters........?   Tips for new starters........? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 11:29 pm

good luck with the new birds steve mate.

mick.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new starters........?   Tips for new starters........? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 8:33 pm

only went in this morning and two more hatched out............ No been concentrating on my ybs so neglected making sure they were all on plastic eggs......... Embarassed clown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new starters........?   Tips for new starters........? Empty

Back to top Go down

Tips for new starters........?
Page 1 of 1