Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David Emptyby David Today at 5:50 pm

» Weather today
I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David Emptyby David Today at 9:20 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David Emptyby David Yesterday at 4:53 pm

» escaped birds return
I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 10:42 am

» Scandalous .......
I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 83 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 81 Guests :: 1 Bot

David, George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David Vote_lcapI Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David Voting_barI Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David Vote_lcapI Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David Voting_barI Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David Vote_rcap 
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222737 messages in 14002 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David

Go down 
+2
David
SGWBrown
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SGWBrown
Hatchling
Hatchling

I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David Empty
PostSubject: I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David   I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 9:49 pm

Well at 4 oclock today 2 cracking yb's arrived with the courier - these were the 2 offered to me by David when I requested some help getting started.
The birds are in absolutely first class condition and are now safely tucked up in their new home.
I just want to openly state how grateful I am to David, he's a real gent; a great ambassador to pigeon racing who embodies the generosity and wisdom that makes people like me feel both welcome and supported. David, I hope you do make it up to Blackpool next year as I'd really appreciate the opportunity to thank you in person. However, should I find myself in or near Leeds I will definately try to drop in. Once again thank you for the birds, the magazines and great advice. I look forward to conversing with and consulting you via the forum. Very best regards. Steve
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David   I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 10:08 pm

Embarassed hi steve, glad your happy with the ybs.......im happy they have gone to a good home, ive never used this courier before but he was very prompt collecting from me this morning.......once you start getting to know them im sure everything will start flooding back from when you kept them before and if you need any help im sure members will be glad to advise. Very Happy

thanks steve.
Back to top Go down
steve b
Hatchling
Hatchling
steve b

PostSubject: Re: I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David   I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 11:48 pm

well done david
are you all sorted bird wise now mate
Back to top Go down
SGWBrown
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David   I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 11:55 pm

Yes thank you Steve, I'm now getting to grips with feed, supplements and loft layout at the moment.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David   I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 12:07 am

steve, dont know if youve given any thought to floor covering etc, in some of my compartments i have softlay horse bedding down which is like small pieces of wood....it doesnt blow around and i find it quite good stuff, in my ybs section i like to clean out every day and use a white floor dressing which smells nice and also absorbes wet/damp etc its verse laga (spelling?) columbine floor whitener and its not that expensive.....only thing to watch for is that you dont put too much down as this can blow about and make breathing harder/make them sneeze Shocked
Back to top Go down
SGWBrown
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David   I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 5:16 pm

At the moment I have a marine plywood base with a small amount of loose sharp sand, it's very dry at the moment but I guess there's potential for it to get damp if it rains and the wind blows directly at the window for any appreciable amount of time. I have been thinking about getting and making some kind of sliding opaque cover that can be pushed across and pulled back according to the weather.

With regards to the floor covering I was considering some kind of absorbant granules a bit like cat litter but was concerned that this might generate dust, I think I'll look at the availabilty of soft lay as this sounds ideal.

I will be cleaning regularly as well although at the moment the birds are a little jumpy, I'm not sure whether my being in the loft at the moment would help them get used to me or make them even more nervous of their new surroundings??

Do you have any suggestions for making your birds tamer?
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

PostSubject: Re: I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David   I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 5:52 pm

sit in loft with them soon they will feed out of hand and fly to your shoulder
Back to top Go down
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

PostSubject: Re: I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David   I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 5:59 pm

try the see through plastic i cant think of the proper name of it lol as for the floorin i find sharp GP sand is good for a time but dose get dusty after a while and its easy to sive through easybed that they use for horses is good and a lot of fanciers seem to like it hope this helps a little bit mate as steve 1952 has said sit in the loft with them and get them used to eating out your hands also now and again give the a couple of peanuts not to many though
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David   I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 7:27 pm

peanuts will make your birds tamer , also sit in loft with them when you can and talk to them
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David   I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 8:30 pm

hi steve, when you go in to feed them try get them used to the sound of feeding time ie shaking your tin or whatever you have the corn in......then every time they hear this they will know its feeding time, after a few days they will get to know you and while they are eating just sit quietly in the corner and soon enough they will start coming nearer to you and pecking at your shoes etc, as others suggested peanuts are good for taming them but for now id concentrate on them getting to know you and their new home............ Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SGWBrown
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David   I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 8:46 pm

Thanks gents, patience and peanuts seem to be key.

Regarding the peanuts firstly, would they take whole, half or do the need to be crushed/crumbled? Secondly, the advice not to give too many, is that because they're too high in a particular nutrient or because whilst enjoyable for the bird they're bad for them in the way say pork scratchings or crisps might be for us (- if you know what I mean).
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David   I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 8:55 pm

hi steve, when first inroducing peanuts i always give smaller pieces eg half a peanut or even a quarter, bearing in mind they are only babies yet........some give whole but i think this is when they are a bit older, or maybe crush them in a blender to get them used to the taste........i think the general rule is approx 2 - 3 per bird as peanuts are high in protien and too much is harmful to pigeons, also give fresh.......i get the red skin ones for human consumption from asda and store them in an airtight container as they quickly get mould on them.....ken (friendslofts) can tell you more about this. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SGWBrown
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David   I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 10:10 pm

I've just put a few in a blender and managed to get a fairly coarse blend with chunks in (well my wife did actually) so will see how they get on with that tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David   I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 10:24 pm

are they eating and getting to know you a bit yet steve? they were eating and drinking normally here but they were fed in the nestboxes with their parents so will need to learn different method of feeding now ......but will be ok fairly soon, Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SGWBrown
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David   I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 10:36 pm

They didn't seem to have worked out the circular feeders when i checked at about 7pm so I put a bit of loose food down and left some water in an open pot - I'm sure their natural inquisitiveness and hunger will help them as I'll be leaving the feeders in all day also I'll be using the tips to settle them from tomorrow evening and over the weekend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David   I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David Empty

Back to top Go down

I Got My New Birds Today - Thanks David
Page 1 of 1