Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Discipline Through The Off-Season Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:16 pm

» Good Morning
Discipline Through The Off-Season Emptyby David Today at 2:48 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Discipline Through The Off-Season Emptyby David Today at 1:35 pm

» APHA Forms .......
Discipline Through The Off-Season Emptyby David Fri May 17, 2024 11:38 am

» come join us
Discipline Through The Off-Season Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Discipline Through The Off-Season Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Discipline Through The Off-Season Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Discipline Through The Off-Season Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
Discipline Through The Off-Season Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Discipline Through The Off-Season 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 35 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 34 Guests :: 1 Bot

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Discipline Through The Off-Season Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Discipline Through The Off-Season Vote_lcapDiscipline Through The Off-Season Voting_barDiscipline Through The Off-Season Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Discipline Through The Off-Season Vote_lcapDiscipline Through The Off-Season Voting_barDiscipline Through The Off-Season Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 222883 messages in 14007 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Discipline Through The Off-Season Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Discipline Through The Off-Season Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Discipline Through The Off-Season

Go down 
+2
kev d
SGWBrown
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SGWBrown
Hatchling
Hatchling

Discipline Through The Off-Season Empty
PostSubject: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 4:06 pm

As I understand it good trapping is brought about by having well disciplined pigeons and this is strictly enforced mostly by food and I believe by routine as well.
My question is do you maintain this strict discipline throughout the non-racing parts of the year? I ask because the days are getting considerably shorter, opportunities for the birds to fly out will become less as well, especially when the bad weather becomes more of an issue. Added to which my birds are still moulting reasonably heavily (late breds) and therefore food seems to be just as important as when the birds are more active with the growing of new feathers and even just keeping warm!! I'm inclined to let them have access to food throughout the day or at least for longer periods but am concerned that it might not be possible to restore their trapping discipline when it's required next year scratch
Back to top Go down
kev d
Youngbird
Youngbird
kev d

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 4:12 pm

hi mate , i know what you mean but if they have been well trained to trap
as yb then when you let them out again in the spring like i do if kept on short rations before hand
then there no problems with them . ATB
Back to top Go down
SGWBrown
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 4:37 pm

Thanks Kev, that's what I hoped. So I take it we can afford to be less regimented through the off season and maybe prepared to let them have their feed a bit easier, but not so liberally that they'll only take what they like most and waste the rest?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 9:34 pm

hi steve, my thoughts on the feeding and trapping are that as you have already got your ybs trained to being hopper fed so to speak, once they know this routine that food is always available they generaly just eat what they need and do not gorge themselves.......if fanciers decide they want to hopper feed they have to teach the bnirds but you have already done it as babies, and as kev says, once trained they should still trap even when not hungry........although they always need discipline and routine whichever way you manage them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SGWBrown
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:24 pm

Thanks David, TBH I haven't really disciplined them too much and am happy that they come in when I'm ready for them after cleaning and preparing their feed when they're out. But at the moment after flying around for an hour or so they quite like to potter around my garden and heve developed quite a taste for my wifes begonias flower heads - I was a bit concerned about it but if it was going to cause them a problem I think it would have by now as they've eaten loads. affraid I was also thinking there might be something missing from their diet but they get minerals, grit, cider vinegar as well as an assortment of different food, athough an experienced local fancier did tell me I could give every food and supplement known to man and they'd still peck at roofs and in gutters etc. Basically as I'm not intending to race them I'm happy if they are and they're healthy, but as I am thinking of having a go maybe next year I am looking to learn as many lessons as I can when it doesn't matter too much.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:26 pm

Steve for me routine and discipline is a must and the one thing i would say is you are the boss and not the pigeons
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:32 pm

Will say the only time pigeons will be the boss is when they are feeding as there is plenty of food about and sometimes you will call you pigeons and they will not respond but this will only be for a short time till the youngsters have been removed and you can ration your pigeons food to suit them
Back to top Go down
SGWBrown
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:34 pm

Yeah, I reckon you're spot on there Don. I reckon I'm treating mine as pets at the moment and that to have any sort of success later on I'm going to have to learn to be a lot more regimented and 'in charge',
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:43 pm

Steve it is just about getting the balance mate, you have not got to starve them but as soon as you shake the tin the pigeons should know

It all starts when they are youngsters and carry on with the discipline even when they are old birds

Remember your the boss not them
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:50 pm

no discipline needed through the closed season pigeons dont need to be out just leave them in let them recharge
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 11:10 pm

Ian so you don't let your birds out not even to bath during the moult Question Question
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 12:32 am

steve, if i was you i would just enjoy your birds and gain experience in looking after them and experriment with feed and suppliments.......if you want to race next year or the year after spend your time learning as one of the biggest mistakes i made was to try race before i was ready, it took me most of the yb season to get it right but then it was too late for 2010................

one thing tho steve, dont let them please themselves and get into bad habits.....you are the boss !!!
Back to top Go down
SGWBrown
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 2:33 pm

More good advice - thanks again gents. It would appear though that I'm being a bit too relaxed with them. Is it possible to get control of birds that maybe haven't been disciplined right from the start or is it too late to try to educate them when they're say 6-8 months old?
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 3:43 pm

leave the birds in the loft they have done enough this year let them go thou the moult in peace and thats all you need to do spend time every day with them study the birds all good things to do in winter holiday time for them
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 5:02 pm

Don Webb wrote:
Ian so you don't let your birds out not even to bath during the moult Question Question
not at all don
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 5:13 pm

ian wrote:
Don Webb wrote:
not at all don
same here ian give them a bath in loft once a fortnight if you like but no not leting any out whats the piont
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 6:27 pm

Must say the way it came over Ian your birds are left in the loft, but for me during the moult i always had my birds out on a sunday morning to have a warm bath which i like to see my birds bath and relax about the loft
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 6:48 pm

stopped that after hawks was geting them on tops of lofts not worth it just herd this and that was enough for me so dont let them out to sit on roofs any roof if i can help it
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 7:16 pm

Don Webb wrote:
Must say the way it came over Ian your birds are left in the loft, but for me during the moult i always had my birds out on a sunday morning to have a warm bath which i like to see my birds bath and relax about the loft
yes i give them a bath in the loft also no need to be out when on heavy moult
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 7:21 pm

the thing is tho, steves ybs are latebreds which he got from me.......the birds are still only young and are just settleing to the loft really so i think they need to be out as much as possible even tho they are moulting because if he keeps them in the loft he might not see them again come the better weather and when the moult has finished.........

these are young pigeons needing to learn their surrounds......
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 7:28 pm

still no need david i also have latebreds these also kept in through moulting
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 7:30 pm

yes but you have other birds ian, steve only has these two and a 2010 hen...........its very hard trying to settle ybs when you dont have any others to hold them round home..... No
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 7:51 pm

this is the one only reason for letting out when on a heavy moult, i understand this but when moulting its like having a toothe acre not very nice ,
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 7:54 pm

yes i know what your saying ian, and i arnt letting mine out at the moment due to the moult......but like i say steve needs to get these ybs settled as they are latebreds which havnt had the benefit of surveying the surrounds over the summer like our ybs have.......... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SGWBrown
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 9:01 pm

Is it wrong to be letting them out to fly every day whilst they're in a heavy moult, it does seem as though the majority of people are keeping their birds in or at least restricting their flying albeit for a variety of reasons - some fearing BOP attacks, others because of the stress and potential pain of the moult, others because of shorter days or a combination of the above.

I try to let mine out everyday and they seem to love flying about, tumbling quite spectacularly, but if this should be restricted for their long term good then I would of course restrict it - it has to be said though they're dead keen to get out and fly into the sputnik ready to be released as soon as they hear me!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discipline Through The Off-Season   Discipline Through The Off-Season Empty

Back to top Go down

Discipline Through The Off-Season
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next