Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» King removes Patronage
Feeding prior to pairing up Emptyby David Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» Weather today
Feeding prior to pairing up Emptyby David Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Good Morning
Feeding prior to pairing up Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:34 am

» escaped birds return
Feeding prior to pairing up Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Feeding prior to pairing up Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Feeding prior to pairing up Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
Feeding prior to pairing up Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
Feeding prior to pairing up Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
Feeding prior to pairing up Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Feeding prior to pairing up 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 81 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 81 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Feeding prior to pairing up Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Feeding prior to pairing up Vote_lcapFeeding prior to pairing up Voting_barFeeding prior to pairing up Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Feeding prior to pairing up Vote_lcapFeeding prior to pairing up Voting_barFeeding prior to pairing up Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222761 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Feeding prior to pairing up Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Feeding prior to pairing up Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Feeding prior to pairing up

Go down 
+3
Ginger
David
philb1133
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
philb1133
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

Feeding prior to pairing up Empty
PostSubject: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 7:16 pm

Hi what do you do to prepare your stock birds for pairing up feed wise not treatment, Do you increase the feed ,weaken it, add barley or what?
Lets hear how you do it. phil
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 7:39 pm

hi phil, some fanciers have their birds on a winter/resting mix over the winter......then before pairing they go onto a full breeding mix, this is only what ive read/heard so maybe wrong......

at present i have mine on 50/50 super diet and best all round corn, and before breeding i will alter it to some sort of breeding mix....altho im not sure what yet scratch
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 8:31 pm

I just feed my birds normaly in fact they are not parted yet i will seperate next week for a week and hope to put them down for boxingday if the the weather is all right as my birds are natrual they stay together all the time i take the pots out after raceing I get some that lay but not a lot the only reason i spilt them up is to see what cocks and hens Iv got and sort some of them out ie old or change a piar mind you I dont like to seperate my birds anyway and they go out every day snow gales you name it and go out thats the way I do it I dont care if joe blogs down the road wants to keep his in hedose what he likes lol! lol! lol! lol!

Last edited by Ginger169 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 8:36 pm

hi ginger, so do you fly all your old birds natural ? no widowhood for any of them ? when you take the bowls away do you close the boxes up too, also when you let them out in all weathers what do they fly like,? do they fly much ?

do you fly the ybs natural or dark ......?
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 8:45 pm

They fly allright thats becuase they are hawk wise they take off if anything flys over yes I do darken the birds from the 1st of march to 1st june but not so they molt better its becuase i wont send a bird to a race if it is molting its bars thats the only reason i darken
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 8:55 pm

this year was the first time ive tried darkness, and noticed that they all only moulted the top 2/3rds of the bar..........the bottom part has just moulted now in the big moult. does this happen with all dark birds or just some ?
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 9:00 pm

just some i had some of my youngsters like that thats why I coudent put them in the show in fact some of my birds went through a second molt
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 9:04 pm

ginger, do you think distance birds fly better as naturals rather than widowhood/roundabout..........?
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 9:12 pm

Thats a very diffecult to say some fly that way and get good results and others put them back together for the long ones like I said mine stay that way I get some good results but i get some bad ones as well
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 9:14 pm

so is it that you have tried widowhood in the past and found they race better as naturals, when i flew widowhood many years ago i always thought it was a waste of potentially good hens.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 10:55 pm

that is why widowhood is for hens now
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 10:59 pm

Would put the birds on a good moulting mix then add 40% more barley for a few weeks then pair them up for a few days then seperate for a week but put them on full corn no barley

Helped them to pair up better the 2nd time of asking
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 9:47 am

birds are now on 80 percent barley and will stay on that until paired and down on eggs
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 4:32 pm

No I have not tried widowhood and prodaely wont I have allway been natrael like I said be for I get my wins if I didnt get any it would not make any differfrenc as now Iv been there done that and got the tea shirt and it dosent matter to me now as long as I get the birds home these that have to win every race to me they are doing the clubs no good if one cant baet them they will give up pigeons and thats one good to any body win what you want to win and leave the rest to the others that way there will be a club to fly in give and take thats what I say
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 4:49 pm

hi ginger, why dont you just try half a dozen widowers just to compare them against naturals...? its all part of the excitement. lol!
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 5:04 pm

No Im quiet happy with what I am doing widowhood or roundabout at the moment dont intrest me one little bit I have flown against these birds they do well but I would like to fly till the end of my day with pigeons I dont want to see any club fold because of it it come day go day Im one of the lucky ones I dont realy have to try a lot of the lads say they dont no howe I get em home I dont no myself but they come for me all I do is go into the loft and pick which ones I want and send them I no Iv given them a chance and ill wait for them and sometimes get dissapionted if they dont come home but thats live
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 5:09 pm

sounds like an article i read the other week ginger, the man who was also into distance racing said " all his birds were bred for the job, so all he had to do was choose the ones each week who were in condition/on form and they would do the rest" sounds similar to your methods ginger Very Happy

ginger, do you add vitamins/potions etc to the water and corn or is it mainly just clean fresh water and good clean corn.....and keeping the management simple ?
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 5:15 pm

I do ad a bit of stuf when I think they need it but no regular things for young birds I give them mangosteen three times a week but thats all they get
Back to top Go down
highflyerboy
Hatchling
Hatchling
highflyerboy

PostSubject: feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 8:42 pm

i enjoyed reading all that info lads .as you know i dont fly racers but take an interest in birds in santa not just the feathered ones Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 8:43 pm

bet you do billy lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
highflyerboy
Hatchling
Hatchling
highflyerboy

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 8:43 pm

general
Back to top Go down
highflyerboy
Hatchling
Hatchling
highflyerboy

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 8:46 pm

av been out beating up at wooler today ian still 2 foot ov snow mate it was a hard day for the dog shes knackered so am i mind you
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 8:46 pm

hear youve been getting some fantails
Back to top Go down
highflyerboy
Hatchling
Hatchling
highflyerboy

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 8:52 pm

aye but just to float a few eggs mate i settled them the day i got them .
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 8:55 pm

great feeders fantails and great parents
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feeding prior to pairing up   Feeding prior to pairing up Empty

Back to top Go down

Feeding prior to pairing up
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next