Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» King removes Patronage
Training laterbreds... Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 7:21 pm

» Good Morning
Training laterbreds... Emptyby David Yesterday at 5:50 pm

» Weather today
Training laterbreds... Emptyby David Yesterday at 9:20 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Training laterbreds... Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Training laterbreds... Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» escaped birds return
Training laterbreds... Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 10:42 am

» Scandalous .......
Training laterbreds... Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
Training laterbreds... Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
Training laterbreds... Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Training laterbreds... 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 61 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 61 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Training laterbreds... Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Training laterbreds... Vote_lcapTraining laterbreds... Voting_barTraining laterbreds... Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Training laterbreds... Vote_lcapTraining laterbreds... Voting_barTraining laterbreds... Vote_rcap 
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222738 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Training laterbreds... Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Training laterbreds... Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Training laterbreds...

Go down 
+6
lvlasked
IANYOUNG
Gaz b
kev d
chris perry
David
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Training laterbreds... Empty
PostSubject: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 8:41 pm

how would members go about training ybs which havent raced or been trained this season, ive 15 which havnt so how would you go about it ........?
Back to top Go down
chris perry
Hatchling
Hatchling
chris perry

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 8:49 pm

I have the same problem, i managed to get them down to 10 mile or so but work and time got in the way, i am thinking at the moment get them through the moult and start a fresh next year with them ,
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 8:54 pm

hi chris, some say they need it in their first year (ybs) but i havnt a clue......i know that if i dont manage to give them at least some training they will be wasted for racing, i would be happy to get them to pontifract which is approx 12 miles from me, its better than nothing i suppose.
Back to top Go down
kev d
Youngbird
Youngbird
kev d

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 9:06 pm

they wount get waisted for racing david , ive done that for years not trained my yb ive started them off as yearlings same as the old birds , ok you drop some but bulk of them will be ok just watch out for the east winds early in april .
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 9:07 pm

Are they ranging when flying round the loft?
Back to top Go down
http://kjlofts.yolasite.com/about-our-birds.php
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 9:09 pm

yes gary, they go ranging but now the racing is over they stay in the loft for now with the others, maybe going out sundays.
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 9:16 pm

I wouldnt bother mate or maybe get em up to twenty miles, because they will have gone over ten miles ranging. But train em with your old birds next year they should be fine. So long as you ease them into it for a few tosses when training next year. Short toss, fly em round the loft. 20 miles fly em round the loft and them hammer them. Owt with any brains should be ok.
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 10:20 am

i wouldnt bother racing latebreds in my opinion , only good for the stock loft
Back to top Go down
chris perry
Hatchling
Hatchling
chris perry

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 11:13 am

quote="ian"]i wouldnt bother racing latebreds in my opinion , only good for the stock loft[/quote]. Being new to racing pigeons i cannot understand your thoughts on this one ? What's the differance in a pigeon born at the start of the year and one born at the end of the year, why would one be good for racing and yet the late bred is not?
Back to top Go down
lvlasked
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 11:16 am

I asked a club member that chris and they said there just rubbish dosnt matter how much he trained them he lose them left right and center he said best holding onto them till there 2year old what I got told
Back to top Go down
http://cing.co.uk/
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 11:21 am

chris perry wrote:
quote="ian"]i wouldnt bother racing latebreds in my opinion , only good for the stock loft
. Being new to racing pigeons i cannot understand your thoughts on this one ? What's the differance in a pigeon born at the start of the year and one born at the end of the year, why would one be good for racing and yet the late bred is not? [/quote]

alot of fanciers have this point of view chris and some late breds turn out to be good racers but have to admit the percentage seems to be low however is this because they push them to hard to quick if it were me i would treat lb's the same as a young bird jmo but have to say i have had no exsperience with them realy
Back to top Go down
chris perry
Hatchling
Hatchling
chris perry

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 11:29 am

You could be on to something there darren, we go easy with the y.b,s let them range then train them slowly , then get them ready for racing, come the end of the year we are so excited with the season that we forgot how slowly we took the y/b,s and try to rush the late breds into catching up , maybee not intentionally but i bet there is some people out there guilty of this with out even realising , and who gets the blame ? The pigeon not the managemant
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 11:43 am

exactly chris its still a pigeon with homing instinct after the moult you could even give a few trainers on good dry sunny days with a few that have some exsperience but this could prove risky with the hawk and falcon at minimum i would get them drinking from the basket and getting used to being released from it jmo patience is the key i think as i have learnt this year
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 11:45 am

like i said darren my opinion not alone on this , many fanciers think the same a lot lot have had birds for many years and are a lot wiser than myself,
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 11:51 am

thing is ian i have heard of some good results with late breds so not all are bad but like i said the percentage seems to be low but their again the percentage of good pigeons is low in every yb team usualy, out of 30 ybs if i was honest only 6 of them showed any real potential but obviously that could change when they are obs thats the beauty of pigeon racing its an open book alot of the time jmo
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 11:55 am

yes darren see were you coming from but i want to give myself the best possible chance of competing in races and putting latebreds in my team is a no go
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 11:57 am

darren if you type in racing latebreds in google see what comes up many negatives from people who have tried and tested them

Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 12:07 pm

yes j have to agree it aint for me either as they can be alot of hard work and would much prefer ybs all the same age but maybe with a team of late breds for someone starting out it could prove a bit different
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 12:41 pm

yes i agree could be different with somebody with a full team of them
Back to top Go down
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

PostSubject: training latebreds l   Training laterbreds... EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:20 am

David i agree with all thats been said i think 15 is too many and in the winter it may look as if you have a strong team when in effect you don't also i would think it pointless if they were the same way bred as birds you have lost just one other thing as you know i posted about a November bred bird winning Bergerac 500mls this year and were before i would never have tried this just maybe i now would consider this over a late bred hope it makes sense george
Back to top Go down
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

PostSubject: training latebreds l   Training laterbreds... EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:38 am

David if my menory serves me right long ago rings were issued on the 1st of January there was no bank hoilday then and so you would pair up late November to have early young birds and so to breed in November may not seem as stupid as at first thought george
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 8:14 am

i have i suppose late breds,as i had 3 rounds of ybs and i started late remember,but all my ybs did race.i must admit i hate it when they do,nt get at least one race..i do think they need some experience if you can get it..this is only my opinion but i think these early bred ybs become very lazy thoughout the season,especially when they start to pair up.it does,nt bother me that much if my ybs are different ages really,but it would be nice to get them about the same ages if possible..in some cases the later bred ybs become your best yearlings as i think it might have something to do with being on semi dark,they are not on the whole programme
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:33 am

In my opinion late breds can raced and in some cases can be winners. No doubt about it they will be well bred as they will will come from your race team. The key to winning with latebreds is motivation. If they are going to fly to an empty perch well what's the point of hurrying home, or coming home at all for that matter. The following year, they are not exactly a yearling, but a youngbird with an older ring on.
They have had no training, yet they are let out and have not flown away from the loft and have maybe been flying round for months. So they know where they live.
Start your old bird team off a little early and take kiddie steps with them. Late breds will have an advantage over youngbirds, they will be training with birds that know the way home.
Another thing is check their health, make sure theres no signs respiratory, such as dirty or greasy wattles, open beak especially after a fly round or sometimes they wont even fly round at all and they get branded as being lazy.
It's the fancier that's lazy.
They will nine times out of ten have some sort of respiratory problem. They may not be ill, infact they may look extremely well.
Sometimes a big give away are the feathers around the ears, they may not sit right and stand out slightly.
If this is case and it's not corrected, they will come home late from training may even not come home at all.
A drop of clearway in the drinking water, will make all the difference.
This is only my opinion.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 11:01 am

george are you saying you would entertain late breds but not to many i take it
Back to top Go down
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

PostSubject: training latebreds    Training laterbreds... EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 12:30 pm

No what i'm saying i would rather put say a 2010 ring on a November bred bird than a latebred i found latebreds never very robust and that was for breeding as well.. they just never looked the part and i would think most fanciers have no confidence in them
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training laterbreds...   Training laterbreds... Empty

Back to top Go down

Training laterbreds...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next