Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... Emptyby David Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» Good Morning
DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... Emptyby David Yesterday at 2:48 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... Emptyby David Yesterday at 1:35 pm

» APHA Forms .......
DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... Emptyby David Fri May 17, 2024 11:38 am

» come join us
DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 17 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 17 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... Resise10
Top posting users this week
No user
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 222884 messages in 14007 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... Vote_lcapDRY RUN PAIRINGS...... Voting_barDRY RUN PAIRINGS...... Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... Vote_lcapDRY RUN PAIRINGS...... Voting_barDRY RUN PAIRINGS...... Vote_rcap 
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

DRY RUN PAIRINGS......

Go down 
+2
IANYOUNG
David
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... Empty
PostSubject: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 7:56 pm

speaking to an old fancier who i know who told me he is going to pair his birds up over the next couple of weeks, and then seperate them again.....hes doing this so that when he pairs for real they will already be paired to each other and therefor ensure he egets ggs quickly and then the ybs.....anyone else do this or something similar ? lol!
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 8:01 pm

yes this a good idea if you are pairing up new pairs but if they have been paired before you wont have any problems so theres no need
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 8:03 pm

mmmmm, yes ian.......cant remember if he meant all or new pairings. scratch
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 8:13 pm

dont see the point tho plenty of time after all thers no race lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 8:14 pm

think the old fella said something about he pairs all of them....old pairings and new because if he just did the new pairs the spare cocks would cause havoc going mental all over the loft.......
Back to top Go down
friendsloft
Youngbird
Youngbird
friendsloft

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 8:18 pm

david this old fella how long did he leave them paired up before he split them again
Ken
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/friendsloft/index.htm
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 8:29 pm

hi ken, think he said he leaves them together for about 7 days then seperates again........ Very Happy might give it a try myself, these old timers still know a thing or too about getting the best out of them dont they......... lol!
Back to top Go down
friendsloft
Youngbird
Youngbird
friendsloft

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 8:34 pm

I agree David the oldfellas thought about everything before doing it, they did all the trials so us younguns dident need too lol
Ken
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 8:53 pm

i do like the idea tho ken, as ive been wondering about when i pair mine up.....the old pairings will lay before the new pairings do, and id prefer the ybs to be as near the same age as possible..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
friendsloft
Youngbird
Youngbird
friendsloft

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 9:17 pm

david like the old fella said get the hard work done on a dummy run, so when they go back for real, if everything is right, then they should all go down together give aor take a day
Ken
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 9:24 pm

yes id prefer that , instead of weaning ybs all at different stages.......done it before and its a pain but this year i should have approx 30 ybs so could do with them more like the same age and weaned roughly the same time... drunken
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 10:15 pm

Hi All

This is my take on this topic.

It's something my dad taught me years ago, if you put the pairs together for the weekend, i.e. Friday night to Sunday night, about a month before pairing, A/ you won't have any fighting when you do eventually pair up, and B/ because you've got their juices flowing (excuse the terminology) they should lay in and around eight days, you will get less infertile eggs, as the pairs should be used to each other, I normally have my stock loft settled in a couple of days

hope this helps

regards

fred holbard
Back to top Go down
http://www.eliteoffsetprinters.co.uk
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 10:18 pm

hi fred, thanks for your opinion on this practice.....would you do this with all pairings, new and old ?
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 10:19 pm

thanks fred good advise
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 10:21 pm

I personally do it with all pairs as I believe they settle better, otherwise the cocks that don't get a hen wont settle, would you?

hope this makes sense

fred
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 10:24 pm

hi fred, when you say less infertile eggs, why do you think this happens.......last year i had quite a few eggs not hatch and when i looked inside them they were infertile, i was told that maybe the cock hadnt been able to tread the hen properly due to other cocks and this is what had caused it.....what do you think ?
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 10:43 pm

you will find the pairs will tread better after the dry run pairings, as I said they will be more settled, the other cocks will be more interested in their own hens to worry about hassling all the other cocks, one thing I do is to lock the pairs in their boxes, and let them out a pair at a time, especially in the last few days before the eggs are laid, they usually tread their hens after the last feed in the evenings

regards

Fred
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 11:20 pm

yes, so rather than have the trouble of just putting them together at pairing time by doing the "dry run" it gets the problem of fighting etc out of the way which then allows them to be calmer and more settled when i comes to pairing up properly.....therefor allowing them to more or less pair straight away and all lay at roughly the same time. this is what i want, because i would prefer the ybs to be all weaned within a day or so of each other.....and also do what i did last year and put the basket in with them for them to eat and drink in it and get used to it.......
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 5:08 pm

Exactly that David, it also gives you something to do in the winter, trying out your pairs to see if they match up OK

regards

Fred
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 7:23 pm

hi fred, when you do the dry run pairings do you put the bowls in the boxes and lock the birds in ? if they pair up what do you do about the hens laying ?
Back to top Go down
https://pigeons.forumotion.com
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 7:32 pm

never done it myself but a good idea
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 8:16 pm

i think its a good idea, as ive a few new pairings im going to give it a try...... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 8:26 pm

Admin wrote:
hi fred, when you do the dry run pairings do you put the bowls in the boxes and lock the birds in ? if they pair up what do you do about the hens laying ?

yes I put the bowls in, you need to go thru the motions as if your pairing them for real, and as your only doing it @ the weekends there will be no fear of eggs

regards

fred
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 8:31 pm

hi fred, will doing it for just the weekend usually be long enough......if they havnt paired in the couple of days arent you too concerded as it will still help them for when you pair for real ?
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 8:48 pm

ok I can't have made myself that clear, sorry, I'll reiterate, I dry run them for as many weekends I can before pairing them properly, which in my case is usually 1st of Jan, I've already started last weekend, the first couple of times they don't need to be together, just nodding at each other thru the dowels (door)in the box, I feed and water them together, the hen on the outside, the cock on the inside of the box, you will know instinctively when its the time to let them in together, after a few times of this type of introduction, they should be getting used to each other, I usually let a pair out for the run of the loft, in the top left hand corner, also the pair in the bottom right corner, this should stop any fighting, then when they have had some free time in the loft, lock them up (try not to catch them by hand, but try to let them find ther own way) sometimes its better to leave them to it, go in and have a cuppa, 9 times out of ten they'll have sorted themselves out, then you can try another pair or two, the one thing to watch is never let a hen have a free run with the cock she was paired to last year, otherwise she will revert back to her old cock.

hope this is clearer

regards

fred
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DRY RUN PAIRINGS......   DRY RUN PAIRINGS...... Empty

Back to top Go down

DRY RUN PAIRINGS......
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next