Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Just my opinion. Emptyby barnie Today at 3:00 pm

» escaped birds return
Just my opinion. Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 11:40 am

» Good Morning
Just my opinion. Emptyby barnie Today at 11:35 am

» Weather today
Just my opinion. Emptyby oldstrain Today at 10:53 am

» good luck weekend
Just my opinion. Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:05 am

» Scandalous .......
Just my opinion. Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
Just my opinion. Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
Just my opinion. Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Just my opinion. Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:25 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Just my opinion. 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 101 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 99 Guests :: 2 Bots

barnie, George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Just my opinion. Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Just my opinion. Vote_lcapJust my opinion. Voting_barJust my opinion. Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222591 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Just my opinion. Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Just my opinion. Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Just my opinion.

Go down 
+4
Barry T
EssexSteve
oldstrain
Gaz b
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 12:51 pm

Do you not think, a lot of the weather we have had of late, is what we used to class as typical British weather, but over the last 7 or 8 years we have been spoilt by good weather conditions.
This has given rise to us taking advantage of faster more delicate breeds of pigeons.
That quite frankly cannot handle these harsh conditions and our taerrain, valleys, hills etc.
The older breeds of late, busschaerts, Boeykin, Grooters, Barkers Gits just to name a few used to excell in these conditions, would you not think that this could well be the way forward for the future in Britain.
Back to top Go down
http://kjlofts.yolasite.com/about-our-birds.php
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 2:34 pm

i for one realy hope so Very Happy the sion and bricoux are good all weather birds aswell and think you may have a point their gaz although their are only small pockets of the oldstrains left that you can say are true to the old type strains ....when i get a bit of time i will post some pics of grooters maybe even a cross with a proven older strain may do the trick and i have exsperimented this year with meuleman vdb (marien) x grooter which have bred a lovely type ,so will let you know how it pans out and anyway half the fun is trying diff things and holding exspectation of that wonder bird Razz jmo

great topic gaz
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 2:38 pm

Nice one Daz, look forward to seeing and seeing the results mate.
Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into them. cheers
Back to top Go down
EssexSteve
Youngbird
Youngbird
EssexSteve

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 3:21 pm

not sure Gaz as a boy i remember long hot still summers but snow in the winter
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 3:25 pm

that was in the seventies mate, Im talking eighties ninetiess early 2000
Back to top Go down
EssexSteve
Youngbird
Youngbird
EssexSteve

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 3:34 pm

sod that bring back the seventies
Back to top Go down
Barry T
Chipping
Chipping
Barry T

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 4:29 pm

busschaerts, Boeykin, Grooters, Barkers Gits just to name a few used to excell in these conditions,

Are their any Gits still about
Back to top Go down
http://www.tarragempugs.co.uk
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 4:38 pm

only ones I have managed to find are crossed with Barkers.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 10:42 pm

Gaz b wrote:
Do you not think, a lot of the weather we have had of late, is what we used to class as typical British weather, but over the last 7 or 8 years we have been spoilt by good weather conditions.
This has given rise to us taking advantage of faster more delicate breeds of pigeons.
That quite frankly cannot handle these harsh conditions and our taerrain, valleys, hills etc.
The older breeds of late, busschaerts, Boeykin, Grooters, Barkers Gits just to name a few used to excell in these conditions, would you not think that this could well be the way forward for the future in Britain.

Agree with you on this one Gaz Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 11:19 pm

it's just a theory I am working on maybe for next year.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 11:38 pm

But you have something to think about Boss
Back to top Go down
fletch
Hatchling
Hatchling
fletch

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 8:26 am

i know what ya trying to say mate but most of these new fancy breeds are just old breed with new names,
as each pigeon always date back to generations,
what i feel is that a lot of feeding methods / feeds are smaller seeds and unlike years gone by people used peas beans and tares or large mix, now they are not so many big corn in mix
as my dad says they got no cracker inside them!!
Back to top Go down
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 10:08 am

a good part of it is down to bringing in unflown birds as stock birds all stock birds should have flown even if it is just the yb programme if someone comes on and says they have bred good birds from unflown stock you have been very lucky i also think unless you have a family of birds that have been tested over the years to hold back a yb and say you want it for stock is plain silly JMO
Back to top Go down
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 10:11 am

what i also should have said i think it's best to buy from a racing loft
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 11:22 am

rainbow wrote:
a good part of it is down to bringing in unflown birds as stock birds all stock birds should have flown even if it is just the yb programme if someone comes on and says they have bred good birds from unflown stock you have been very lucky i also think unless you have a family of birds that have been tested over the years to hold back a yb and say you want it for stock is plain silly JMO

yes thats a good point m8 i kept 2 ybs that were winners last season for stock and ok they have not flown as yearlings but at least they show potential and with only 2 years behind me i have to start somewhere with my stock and feel that good racers from your own loft is the way forward for breeding ybs to race far better than say buying in 2 from louella that have not raced the terrain or shown any potential racing and have had a lifetime of antibiotics lol jmo
Back to top Go down
seanl
Youngbird
Youngbird

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 11:44 am

rainbow wrote:

george i have 5 southwells here they are out of jimmy shepherds proven champs and i wont be racing them they are going to stock very often the champs dont breed good racers but the children do
i also have 4 pair of van loons bred from proven winners from 60mls to 650mls
and i,ll be seeing what they breed before they ever see a basket its my way tried and tested years ago some times it works sometimes it dont but if they are very close to the champs it very often does work all the best sean
Back to top Go down
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 11:50 am

sean did the same bird win at 60mls and 650mls
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 11:52 am

Where I am coming from Fletch, is the type of bird mate, the birds of old of were a longer cast bird of a thicker set, which would be fair to say they were bred more for endurance rather than speed, but was not slow by any means and were able to to tolerate harsh conditions.
Its a bit like putting the the old Mercedes 190E into a race with a Ferrari.
We know the Ferrari will always be the quicker faster car, but will burn more fuel and will struggle on certain days. The Merc on the other hand will always get there at the same pace and will do it time after time in all conditions without maintenance.
So lets compare the older breeds to the merc, no matter how harsh and testing the conditions they will always in most cases get home. They will recover quickly from a harsh race and will do it time after time. with very little recovery time or maintenance.
Lets look at the feathering of today's pigeons, silky smooth fine feathers, the feathering in the old pigeons was much coarser and withstood rain and wind much more. You would notice this much more if you let both types of pigeons out in the rain, the pigeons of today would resemble a drowned rat after 20 mins flying in the rain, the older type bird would look wet.
Buying pigeons from studs and lofts is a whole different subject.
I am talking of types of pigeons.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 11:59 am

rite im off to take some pics of oldies lol and will put them up if someone can help as i am not very versatile with the pc other than typeing lol
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 12:17 pm

email em to me daz i'll put em up for ya. I'll pm you
Back to top Go down
seanl
Youngbird
Youngbird

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 12:24 pm

rainbow wrote:
sean did the same bird win at 60mls and 650mls
yes the van loons did
Back to top Go down
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 12:26 pm

which one
Back to top Go down
seanl
Youngbird
Youngbird

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 1:02 pm

rainbow wrote:
which one
which one what george
Back to top Go down
fletch
Hatchling
Hatchling
fletch

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 1:45 pm

Gaz b wrote:
Where I am coming from Fletch, is the type of bird mate, the birds of old of were a longer cast bird of a thicker set, which would be fair to say they were bred more for endurance rather than speed, but was not slow by any means and were able to to tolerate harsh conditions.
Its a bit like putting the the old Mercedes 190E into a race with a Ferrari.
We know the Ferrari will always be the quicker faster car, but will burn more fuel and will struggle on certain days. The Merc on the other hand will always get there at the same pace and will do it time after time in all conditions without maintenance.
So lets compare the older breeds to the merc, no matter how harsh and testing the conditions they will always in most cases get home. They will recover quickly from a harsh race and will do it time after time. with very little recovery time or maintenance.
Lets look at the feathering of today's pigeons, silky smooth fine feathers, the feathering in the old pigeons was much coarser and withstood rain and wind much more. You would notice this much more if you let both types of pigeons out in the rain, the pigeons of today would resemble a drowned rat after 20 mins flying in the rain, the older type bird would look wet.
Buying pigeons from studs and lofts is a whole different subject.
I am talking of types of pigeons.

i get ya point you making mate
but my thinking is that the way races are raced the modern birds are breed for the races
i will be intrested in your results see how these older breeds go,
but i would be worried the lines they come from may be to diluted to fully test the theory

my dad always say his champion cock bergerac (was a alf barker workmen) was the best hardest breed of pigeon he ever known
he won saintes doing 13 half hours then 2 weeks later went to do it again
the more work you gave him the better he got
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 1:59 pm

That's the one mate, in a nutshell.
Hard working pigeons and you had to work hard to get them working.
But master the art and they will repay the favour time and time again.
I may also be way off track, but it's just a theory at this stage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Just my opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just my opinion.   Just my opinion. Empty

Back to top Go down

Just my opinion.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next