Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
how long do i keep them in? Emptyby David Yesterday at 6:18 pm

» escaped birds return
how long do i keep them in? Emptyby David Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» Weather today
how long do i keep them in? Emptyby David Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
how long do i keep them in? Emptyby David Yesterday at 12:01 pm

» good luck weekend
how long do i keep them in? Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 2:24 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
how long do i keep them in? Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

» Scandalous .......
how long do i keep them in? Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
how long do i keep them in? Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
how long do i keep them in? Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) how long do i keep them in? 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 106 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 106 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.how long do i keep them in? Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
how long do i keep them in? Vote_lcaphow long do i keep them in? Voting_barhow long do i keep them in? Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
how long do i keep them in? Vote_lcaphow long do i keep them in? Voting_barhow long do i keep them in? Vote_rcap 
Knackered
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222655 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
how long do i keep them in? Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
how long do i keep them in? Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

how long do i keep them in?

Go down 
+4
barnie
Gaz b
David
goldenbrown
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
goldenbrown
Chipping
Chipping

how long do i keep them in? Empty
PostSubject: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 2:38 pm

once again I am asking for some help and advice,we put the ybs in the loft Saturday, nice and calm. They still had some young fluffy feathers,anyway I was told to keep them in for about 2 weeks,the problem is they are starting to get restless this might be due to the doves sitting on the out side cooing how long do you keep new ybs in before letting them fly? It took four weeks to home the doves, does the same apply to other ybs

golden
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 3:05 pm

hi golden, it depends how old they are, personally i like to get ybs out as soon as possible after weaning, which is usually around 28 days old(ish), this is simply because they are not strong enough on the wing to fly off and get lost and it also gives them chance to get there bearings with their new surrounds.......

if your ybs are strong on the wing and are flying its harder to settle them in my opinion.........when i have had ybs which are older i have dipped them in soapy water and made sure they are thouroughly wet before letting them out, this stops them from flying off while they have a look around but remember they will dry out so keep them hungry so you can call them in when you feel they have had enough JMO
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 3:11 pm

David wrote:
hi golden, it depends how old they are, personally i like to get ybs out as soon as possible after weaning, which is usually around 28 days old(ish), this is simply because they are not strong enough on the wing to fly off and get lost and it also gives them chance to get there bearings with their new surrounds.......

if your ybs are strong on the wing and are flying its harder to settle them in my opinion.........when i have had ybs which are older i have dipped them in soapy water and made sure they are thouroughly wet before letting them out, this stops them from flying off while they have a look around but remember they will dry out so keep them hungry so you can call them in when you feel they have had enough JMO

Good advice there David, hunger is the only control you have at this stage.
Back to top Go down
http://kjlofts.yolasite.com/about-our-birds.php
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 3:47 pm

Can they get outside for a look about in a cage or aviary? One of the most important things is this gets them used to wild birds, especially larger ones like crows and gulls then they aren't so spooked when out. Having them hand tame and Hungry when you put them out will help a lot. Also a fantail or dropper of some sort ( that they are used to). If they were strongish on wing I always put them out about 1 hour before dark, if they do get up on the wing they tend to stay local.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 4:20 pm

Gaz b wrote:
David wrote:

Good advice there David, hunger is the only control you have at this stage.

Will second that Gaz
Back to top Go down
goldenbrown
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 6:44 pm

thanks again for the advice,here are the doves sitting on the loft,we are doing to let them out tomorrow afternoon,also ybs are 4 weeks old.
how long do i keep them in? Loft3001
golden
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 6:55 pm

make sure the ybs are hungry golden, and they know the signal to indicate food...............good luck
Back to top Go down
goldenbrown
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 8:33 pm

David wrote:
make sure the ybs are hungry golden, and they know the signal to indicate food...............good luck

The ybs don't know the signal for food yet!but my doves will come straight to me when i whistle them so my plan will be to let them out with a water bath on the lawn then whistle the doves down,the main reason i thought i would let them out tomorrow is that i have the next 2 days off so i can spend time with them!any help is very appreciated as i dont wont to lose these ybs.

golden
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 9:11 pm

its good that you have the doves golden, with these being settled it helps with settling the yb`s.......
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 10:22 pm

Golden if i was you i would miss there feed the night before you let them out so they are hungry and as soon as you throw corn they will go for it

As long as they are hungry you will have full control of them
Back to top Go down
goldenbrown
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 11:19 am

only 1 came out and flew around then just flew off so i quickly closed the door to see if it comes back but so far nothing. Sad

golden
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 11:29 am

Golden must be careful mate if they are strong on the wing which i think they may be then it is going to be hard for you mate Sad
Back to top Go down
goldenbrown
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 11:32 am

Don Webb wrote:
Golden must be careful mate if they are strong on the wing which i think they may be then it is going to be hard for you mate Sad

just been outside to call again only to find him sat on my roof Laughing
how long do i keep them in? Pigeon001

just need to get him back in the loft.

golden
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 11:38 am

have your doves/fantails out so they will attract him back down............
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 11:46 am

A plus side he hasnt flown off yet, so there is every chance it will come back, this is the method behind keeping um hungry.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 1:41 pm

goldenbrown wrote:
Don Webb wrote:

just been outside to call again only to find him sat on my roof Laughing
how long do i keep them in? Pigeon001

just need to get him back in the loft.

golden

Great news cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 1:42 pm

Gaz b wrote:
A plus side he hasnt flown off yet, so there is every chance it will come back, this is the method behind keeping um hungry.

Will second that Gaz Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 1:43 pm

David wrote:
have your doves/fantails out so they will attract him back down............

Will also second that David
Back to top Go down
delbar
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 8:35 pm

Sooner out the better for me, reason i dont take really early babies as soon be restricted on getting them out with the weather
Back to top Go down
goldenbrown
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 8:45 pm

just a small update I found her on my roof again about 6-30 looking very tired and limping i tried my best to get her in the loft but she just sat there eventually she went in my neighbors garden so i hope i can get her in the morning!
sorry about all the fuss over one yb!

golden
Back to top Go down
richardpayne
Hatchling
Hatchling

Location : Esperanza Les LaNDES VALEGuernsey Channel IslandGY3 5JJ GY35JJ s

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 8:57 pm

sometimes you get them in on day 3
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 9:02 pm

don't worry about it mate, we all been there.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 11:29 pm

Gaz b wrote:
don't worry about it mate, we all been there.

Will second that Gaz
Back to top Go down
goldenbrown
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 8:07 pm

well after two days of chasing birds i am exhausted,we have one yb left things were looking good with all six yb's on the loft but a large flock of racers flew over my garden and pulled my yb's with them!me being me drove to the house that thay ended up at just down the road a very nice little lady answered the door I told her i wasnt selling anything but wanted to know about the racers that she has, she told me that she just feeds them and if i'd like to take a look Shocked she must of had 30/40 birds most with rings on,I will see if any come home tomorrow if not we have to re think our strategy.

golden
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 11:29 pm

All the best Golden it happens to use all mate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how long do i keep them in?   how long do i keep them in? Empty

Back to top Go down

how long do i keep them in?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next