Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
just a thought  Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:17 am

» Good Morning
just a thought  Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:16 am

» Gst Filing Consultants In Chennai
just a thought  Emptyby tharunjohar50 Today at 7:16 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
just a thought  Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
just a thought  Emptyby David Yesterday at 4:53 pm

» SEO Company in Chennai
just a thought  Emptyby tharunjohar50 Yesterday at 11:37 am

» escaped birds return
just a thought  Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 10:42 am

» Scandalous .......
just a thought  Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
just a thought  Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) just a thought  20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 80 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 80 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.just a thought  Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
just a thought  Vote_lcapjust a thought  Voting_barjust a thought  Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
tharunjohar50
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222733 messages in 14004 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
just a thought  Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
just a thought  Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

just a thought

Go down 
+3
birdy2011
Gaz b
seanl
7 posters
AuthorMessage
seanl
Youngbird
Youngbird

just a thought  Empty
PostSubject: just a thought    just a thought  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 7:47 am

as the new season dawns many birds being raced will be yearlings many years ago i was told dont rush it they your future pick your days and dont race them in cold east winds whats members thoughts sean
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

just a thought  Empty
PostSubject: Re: just a thought    just a thought  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 8:07 am

Advice like that Sean, sounds like it came from a widowhood man.
I'd say have more faith in your hens, as these are more likely to be the superstars in your loft.
Back to top Go down
http://kjlofts.yolasite.com/about-our-birds.php
seanl
Youngbird
Youngbird

just a thought  Empty
PostSubject: Re: just a thought    just a thought  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 10:11 am

Gaz b wrote:
Advice like that Sean, sounds like it came from a widowhood man.
I'd say have more faith in your hens, as these are more likely to be the superstars in your loft.
no gaz he flew natural and was a very good flyer flew both equally well hens and cks but always liked the warmer temp and a bit of sun on his yearlins backs maybe thats why he had a few 6 y/olds in his team with many positions to his name as he said they his future sean
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

just a thought  Empty
PostSubject: Re: just a thought    just a thought  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 10:39 am

The fancier that schooled me Sean same as mate, on his loft stood an old marine barometer and thermometer, there was also a weather cock on the nearby church.
He used to say there was a certain balance in the temperature and pressure for the cocks to race. If not the hens went, he could predict a win I would give him that, they never saw the water until they was 2 year olds and certain other racepoints until they were 3 year olds.
Like he said to me once, my birds are only getting started at the age you retire um.
Distance racing is a different ball game to how we fly.
Back to top Go down
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird
birdy2011

just a thought  Empty
PostSubject: Re: just a thought    just a thought  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 11:07 am

interesting post

i think theres a lot to be said for yearlings most of the time cocks get excited

first year mateing etc and there still not really a year old well most arent

as young birds they race in warm weather they cope with that well

come the new year they have alot on ie breeding training racing it all happens

fast in a few weeks years ago we had our birds out 24/7 today we dont hence take

longer to get fit i look at yearlings as babies still cold winds from the east will knock them down like flys but a little patiants and warm weather the odd are you wont loose many

most race horses are green at this stage so are greyhounds there trainers nurse them along slowley

all in all they are still getting stronger bones wings etc just my opiniun but i think alot are lost cus they not been given the time to develope or slung in at the deep end
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

just a thought  Empty
PostSubject: Re: just a thought    just a thought  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 11:13 am

Interested reading study study
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

just a thought  Empty
PostSubject: Re: just a thought    just a thought  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 11:36 am

Some very good points there also g.
But this is why i think the light system excels all the other systems.As they have three days light compared to all the other systems.
Because when you think about it, light accelerates the growth and when they are early bred yb, they have plenty of time mature we are talking months in fact.
Training is spread out over a long period and this builds up their fitness.
with the light system they have full moulted gradually by june, which again cuts down the stress.
by the time they see the first race they are so much more mature.
Back to top Go down
seanl
Youngbird
Youngbird

just a thought  Empty
PostSubject: Re: just a thought    just a thought  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:00 pm

Gaz b wrote:
But this is why i think the light system excels all the other systems.As they have three days light compared to all the other systems.
Because when you think about it, light accelerates the growth and when they are early bred yb, they have plenty of time mature we are talking months in fact.
with the light system they have full moulted gradually by june, which again cuts down the stress.
plenty food for thought but ask your self why are many top lofts reverting back to natural young birds sean
Back to top Go down
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird
birdy2011

just a thought  Empty
PostSubject: Re: just a thought    just a thought  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 5:02 pm

i think its a case of we followed suit just like we did the widdowhood

many lofts now are makeing smaller compartments keepins less in each section

many of the darkness pigeons are just that darkness birds many lofts sell them on

why because the have a back up team of well schooled mature naturals your right sean its just a game of cat and mouse best thing is do ya own thing think of something new dont always pay to follow the leader
Back to top Go down
kev d
Youngbird
Youngbird
kev d

just a thought  Empty
PostSubject: Re: just a thought    just a thought  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 5:47 pm

i think if you have a good size team then you can give a few yearlings a right good go all the the programe , but if your a small team flyer like me then take good care of them like sean said its to cold for them early doors and at the end of the day there like teenagers really still growing up . as g knows i had a good result with a yearling hen last season from the NFC cholet race 300 miles where she took 91st open out of over 5,000 birds but a few weeks before that she had a bad race out of portsmouth only 90 odd miles and ended up in the north of england nearly 200miles away but it was a bad day for returns for every one that day . yearlings if you treat them right will fly through a brick wall to get home if handled right , cheers all .
Back to top Go down
VanReet Man123
Youngbird
Youngbird
VanReet Man123

just a thought  Empty
PostSubject: Re: just a thought    just a thought  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Lets hope we dont have the wind we had last season the 1st 6,races were either east or north east not good for anything but atleast this year we will have our hens ready as they did well last season won 2/3 and were 2nd in the other we wont be throwing them away for a red card.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

just a thought  Empty
PostSubject: Re: just a thought    just a thought  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 8:57 pm

Gaz b wrote:

John McGee used that system also years ago
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

just a thought  Empty
PostSubject: Re: just a thought    just a thought  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 9:03 pm

kev d wrote:
i think if you have a good size team then you can give a few yearlings a right good go all the the programe , but if your a small team flyer like me then take good care of them like sean said its to cold for them early doors and at the end of the day there like teenagers really still growing up . as g knows i had a good result with a yearling hen last season from the NFC cholet race 300 miles where she took 91st open out of over 5,000 birds but a few weeks before that she had a bad race out of portsmouth only 90 odd miles and ended up in the north of england nearly 200miles away but it was a bad day for returns for every one that day . yearlings if you treat them right will fly through a brick wall to get home if handled right , cheers all .

Kev your right yearlings are strong headed birds, thats just like Colin Lloyds Saints National winner 400 plus milles

The week before the national the pigeon won the wolverhampton fed from saints and was doulded up back to the saints national to win it but as you say yearlings will go through brick walls and that cock was raced widowhood
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

just a thought  Empty
PostSubject: Re: just a thought    just a thought  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 9:06 pm

VanReet Man123 wrote:
Lets hope we dont have the wind we had last season the 1st 6,races were either east or north east not good for anything but atleast this year we will have our hens ready as they did well last season won 2/3 and were 2nd in the other we wont be throwing them away for a red card.

VRM i understand were you are coming from but for me i like them winds because what you have left are the pigeons you can depend on giving you 100%
rather than have a team of birds sunny day birds that put the effort in on blow home days

Jusy my opinion but i know nothing
Back to top Go down
spencerline
Hatchling
Hatchling
spencerline

just a thought  Empty
PostSubject: Re: just a thought    just a thought  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Don Webb wrote:
VanReet Man123 wrote:

VRM i understand were you are coming from but for me i like them winds because what you have left are the pigeons you can depend on giving you 100%
rather than have a team of birds sunny day birds that put the effort in on blow home days

I see what you are both saying and I agree that predominantly its best to have birds that can handle face winds but its good if you have some blow home birds too because not all pigeons can handle a blow home and they can be just as important if you want to be competitive every week.
The birds I took over here in Portugal got Buried every time we had a race around 60 MPH or more except for 1 bird a huge beast who spared our blushes as he could handle the wind up his arse, lol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.algarvepigeonracing.webs.com
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

just a thought  Empty
PostSubject: Re: just a thought    just a thought  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 9:24 pm

spencerline wrote:
Don Webb wrote:
VanReet Man123 wrote:

I see what you are both saying and I agree that predominantly its best to have birds that can handle face winds but its good if you have some blow home birds too because not all pigeons can handle a blow home and they can be just as important if you want to be competitive every week.
The birds I took over here in Portugal got Buried every time we had a race around 60 MPH or more except for 1 bird a huge beast who spared our blushes as he could handle the wind up his arse, lol.

I understand were you are coming from
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

just a thought  Empty
PostSubject: Re: just a thought    just a thought  Empty

Back to top Go down

just a thought
Page 1 of 1