Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Handling the Birds Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 6:26 am

» Good Morning
Handling the Birds Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 6:25 am

» RPRA Partnerships
Handling the Birds Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Handling the Birds Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
Handling the Birds Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
Handling the Birds Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Handling the Birds Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Handling the Birds Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
Handling the Birds Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Handling the Birds 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 64 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 64 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Handling the Birds Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Handling the Birds Vote_lcapHandling the Birds Voting_barHandling the Birds Vote_rcap 
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222797 messages in 14005 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Handling the Birds Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Handling the Birds Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
Handling the Birds Vote_lcapHandling the Birds Voting_barHandling the Birds Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Handling the Birds

Go down 
AuthorMessage
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

Handling the Birds Empty
PostSubject: Handling the Birds   Handling the Birds EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 10:56 am

Handling the Birds

I feel it is important to handle the birds often while they are young. This lets them get used to being held and helps to tame them so they are easier to work with later when you have to catch them for shipping and training. I spend a lot of time holding my birds both when they are young and when they are older. I can tell a lot from the way a bird feels in my hands. By holding them often, I notice what they normally feel like and then on a day when they feel different, it is very apparent to me that something is wrong.

If you never hold your birds, they will not know what to expect when you do. It is important that they feel comfortable being held, because on race nights they have to be handled by other flyers who may not hold them exactly the same. If they are not used to being held, they will be stressed over it and they will not fly well the next day. My brother, my daughters and my sons all hold the birds. I think this is good for them. Each person holds the birds differently and it is good for the pigeons to get used to different styles of handling.

Another benefit of handling the pigeons is that they become accustomed to different people being around them. If on a race day, some of the family wants to be in the yard to watch the race, the pigeons are not spooked by them being there. It is also good to have people in the yard when I am training the pigeons, so they get used to normal activity around the yard. Then if the neighbor happens to mow his lawn when they are coming home from a race, they are not spooked by it.

Pigeons will become accustomed to things just like humans do. If you have a baby and you always keep the house quiet while the baby is sleeping, the baby will learn to sleep only when it is quiet. Any noise will awaken the baby.

If you take the same baby and you let it sleep while the normal noise level is going on in the house, then the baby will learn to sleep while there is noise and will end up sleeping through normal amounts of noise and even loud noises like thunder. It is all in the conditioning.

Take the time to condition your birds so that they will endure the normal kind of handling that they receive in the coop and on race boxing days. Your birds will be much less stressed and better prepared to race.
Back to top Go down

Handling the Birds
Page 1 of 1