Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
1 cock 2 hens Emptyby oldstrain Today at 2:00 pm

» Good Morning
1 cock 2 hens Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 8:17 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
1 cock 2 hens Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:49 pm

» good luck weekend
1 cock 2 hens Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:30 pm

» escaped birds return
1 cock 2 hens Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» Scandalous .......
1 cock 2 hens Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
1 cock 2 hens Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
1 cock 2 hens Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
1 cock 2 hens Emptyby David Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:25 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) 1 cock 2 hens 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 105 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 104 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.1 cock 2 hens Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
1 cock 2 hens Vote_lcap1 cock 2 hens Voting_bar1 cock 2 hens Vote_rcap 
David
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222607 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
1 cock 2 hens Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
1 cock 2 hens Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

1 cock 2 hens

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

1 cock 2 hens Empty
PostSubject: 1 cock 2 hens   1 cock 2 hens EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 12:19 pm

I have a situation! Can anyone help please.

I paired my 5 stock pairs up after letting the cocks choose their boxes.

Number 3 pair did not get on - the hen was trying to get out of the box ALL the time and she was not interested in the cock I put her with.

In box five, I had a yearling cock with a 6 year old hen and the hen didn't want to know the cock in box 5 at all.

After 4 days of trying to get the cocks settled with the hens I wanted to put them with - I decided to let just pairs 3 and 5 out of their boxes and let them fly around the loft for a bit.

Within 5 minutes the Blue Bar Hen from box 3 went to box 5 and started showing to the cock in box 5. Within 1 hour the B/B hen was squatted down in box five's bowl, cooing and generally very content. Last night, I saw cock 5 treading the B/B hen.

Great I thought - not what I really wanted but a good enough pairing for now. THEN - just now, I went into the loft just to have a look and caught number five cock, humping his original hen whilst the new blue bar hen (originally from box 3) was all snuggled down in number 5's nest bowl. So now cock number 5 has been at it with 2 hens - the hen I originally put him with, who originally didn't want to know him, and the new blue bar hen originally from box 3!

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

I am sure you guys will have some great answers and I look forward to reading them.

Phil from blueskylofts

Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
shippy
Hatchling
Hatchling

1 cock 2 hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1 cock 2 hens   1 cock 2 hens EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 3:18 pm

i would now lock each pair in thier boxes with original partners
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

1 cock 2 hens Empty
PostSubject: 1 cock 2 hens   1 cock 2 hens EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 5:16 pm

shippy wrote:

Hi Shippy - how long for?
Back to top Go down
shippy
Hatchling
Hatchling

1 cock 2 hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1 cock 2 hens   1 cock 2 hens EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 7:12 pm

blueskylofts wrote:
shippy wrote:

Hi Shippy - how long for?

till they are sitting then you know parentage is right
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

1 cock 2 hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1 cock 2 hens   1 cock 2 hens EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 3:17 am

shippy wrote:

I wouldn't Shippy Smile Smile I was brought up in the sixty's lol! lol! lol! & free love had certain advantages Wink Wink so being Blue sky's first go at breeding for some time I would let be what would be bounce bounce as far better to have a happy/content loft than having 2 pair married to an ugly duckling type of thing or causing trouble for the rest of the loft there.
Now !!!  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  if the above fails  Smile  Smile build a box on a fence I would suggest & seperate the worst of the worst to a life of a peasant, till they see who is master of the tribe & has the feed tin. cheers
Back to top Go down
shippy
Hatchling
Hatchling

1 cock 2 hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1 cock 2 hens   1 cock 2 hens EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 9:35 am

Knackered wrote:
shippy wrote:

I wouldn't Shippy Smile Smile I was brought up in the sixty's lol! lol! lol! & free love had certain advantages Wink Wink so being Blue sky's first go at breeding for some time I would let be what would be bounce bounce as far better to have a happy/content loft than having 2 pair married to an ugly duckling type of thing or causing trouble for the rest of the loft there.
Now !!!  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  if the above fails  Smile  Smile build a box on a fence I would suggest & seperate the worst of the worst to a life of a peasant, till they see who is master of the tribe & has the feed tin. cheers

you old romantic knackered lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

1 cock 2 hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1 cock 2 hens   1 cock 2 hens EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 2:20 pm

Knackered wrote:
shippy wrote:

nowt wrong with the flower power way of thinking flower Razz
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

1 cock 2 hens Empty
PostSubject: 1 cock 2 hens   1 cock 2 hens EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 3:21 pm

oldstrain wrote:
Knackered wrote:
shippy wrote:

nowt wrong with the flower power way of thinking flower Razz

OK guys, for what it is worth - I have decided to let the hen that I originally put with the number 3 cock, go to the one she liked, that is the number 5 cock. And the hen that was originally with the #5 cock, I have locked up with the #3 cock. I am monitoring the goings on in that section of my loft 4 or 5 times a day. I am disabled now and have the time to work with my birds.

The blue bar hen that is now in box 5 seem very happy and the two birds in box 3 are not fighting at least.

What do we think?

Cheers
Phil from Blueskylofts
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

1 cock 2 hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1 cock 2 hens   1 cock 2 hens EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 3:27 pm

hi phil, sounds like you've got it sorted....but one thing I always do when locking birds in a nest box.....I place half a brick in one corner so the hen can get out of the cocks way if he is aggressive towards her, it might just save her getting hurt.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

1 cock 2 hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1 cock 2 hens   1 cock 2 hens EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 3:33 pm

David wrote:
hi phil, sounds like you've got it sorted....but one thing I always do when locking birds in a nest box.....I place half a brick in one corner so the hen can get out of the cocks way if he is aggressive towards her, it might just save her getting hurt.

indeed or turn bowl upside down ...not all pairings work sometimes the odd cock and hen just don't seem to take i think you done the best thing you never know it may turn out your best pairing atb
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

1 cock 2 hens Empty
PostSubject: 1 cock 2 hens   1 cock 2 hens EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 3:38 pm

oldstrain wrote:
David wrote:

indeed or turn bowl upside down ...not all pairings work sometimes the odd cock and hen just don't seem to take i think you done the best thing you never know it may turn out your best pairing atb

Hi Dave
I hope you are right.
At the moment there is no sign of the cock getting aggressive towards the hen.

Whilst I have peoples attention - does anyone know when I can get a couple of Emiel Deweerdt pigeons from? Either babies or Yearlings

Phil
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

1 cock 2 hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1 cock 2 hens   1 cock 2 hens EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 3:43 pm

sorry phil ive no idea, but im sure other members will know.......
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

1 cock 2 hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1 cock 2 hens   1 cock 2 hens EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 3:46 pm

oldstrain wrote:
David wrote:

yes Darren, I do one or the other....I never leave them just locked in with no escape for the hen.....its not nice to see her getting hurt, as I does happen sometimes that the cock is very aggressive towards the hen.

as my boxes are the plastic widowhood type, I sometimes put another piece of widow front as a divider which helps them still see each other but stops any fighting while im not there.
Back to top Go down
shippy
Hatchling
Hatchling

1 cock 2 hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1 cock 2 hens   1 cock 2 hens EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 1:02 pm

hows it working out now blueskylofts Wink
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

1 cock 2 hens Empty
PostSubject: 1 cock 2 hens   1 cock 2 hens EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 2:19 pm

shippy wrote:

hows it working out now blueskylofts Wink

How good of you to enquire how things are going.

Up-Date - things are much the same as they were 3 or 4 days ago. Simply because the birds can't do a great deal of mis-behaving.

Numbers 1, 2, 4 and 5 are happy now with their partners. Pairs 1,2 and 4 have the partners I put with the cocks originally. If you remember the hen from box 3 didn't want to know the cock I put her with and the hen from box 5 was NOT interested in the cock from box 5 for a long time.

So I let the hen out of box 3 and she went directly to box 5 and started showing to cock #5. So, I thought better a 'love' pairing than no pairing at all - but I still had the original hen from box 5 not interested in a cock at all. She should know the ropes as she is 6 years old.

One day I found the original hen from box 5 getting very friendly with cock 5, so I locked her away on one side of cock 3's box - so he can see her but she can not get into the loft and make problems.

Because it is getting a bit late, I am very keen to start breeding asap. Otherwise I might have persevered a bit more trying to get ALL hens with the cocks I have.

REMEMBER - at the moment ALL my birds are Stock Birds, none will be raced or let out of the loft. I am in the process of building an aviary, so at least the birds will have a bit of a chance to 'stretch their wings'.

Right now all my birds (except #3 hen - the troublesome one) are having a bath!

I am really looking forward to seeing some eggs in nests. More updates to follow.

Phil from Blueskylofts

Back to top Go down
shippy
Hatchling
Hatchling

1 cock 2 hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1 cock 2 hens   1 cock 2 hens EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 4:45 pm

stick with it phil Wink
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

1 cock 2 hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1 cock 2 hens   1 cock 2 hens EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 6:30 am

David wrote:

Half a brick Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes that's what I call cost cutting David Wink Wink at least I give mine lol! lol! lol! a whole brick for a perch etc to get them of the ground here. cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

1 cock 2 hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1 cock 2 hens   1 cock 2 hens EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 6:37 am

shippy wrote:
Knackered wrote:
shippy wrote:

you old romantic knackered  lol! lol! lol!

That's not what the missus tell's me shippy Smile Smile in her words etc the only thing that brings out the romantic side in me, has feathers. cheers
Back to top Go down
shippy
Hatchling
Hatchling

1 cock 2 hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1 cock 2 hens   1 cock 2 hens EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 8:54 am

but women have no romance when it comes to pigeons lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

1 cock 2 hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1 cock 2 hens   1 cock 2 hens Empty

Back to top Go down

1 cock 2 hens
Page 1 of 1