Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Candling pigeon eggs Emptyby oldstrain Today at 2:00 pm

» Good Morning
Candling pigeon eggs Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 8:17 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Candling pigeon eggs Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:49 pm

» good luck weekend
Candling pigeon eggs Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:30 pm

» escaped birds return
Candling pigeon eggs Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» Scandalous .......
Candling pigeon eggs Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
Candling pigeon eggs Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
Candling pigeon eggs Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Candling pigeon eggs Emptyby David Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:25 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Candling pigeon eggs 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 131 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 130 Guests :: 1 Bot

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Candling pigeon eggs Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Candling pigeon eggs Vote_lcapCandling pigeon eggs Voting_barCandling pigeon eggs Vote_rcap 
David
Candling pigeon eggs Vote_lcapCandling pigeon eggs Voting_barCandling pigeon eggs Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222607 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Candling pigeon eggs Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Candling pigeon eggs Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Candling pigeon eggs

Go down 
+2
Lofty
blueskylofts
6 posters
AuthorMessage
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Candling pigeon eggs Empty
PostSubject: Candling pigeon eggs   Candling pigeon eggs EmptySun Apr 10, 2016 9:57 am

Has anyone tried Candling pigeon eggs?

For those of you who don't know what Candling is:- It is when you shine a light (a Torch is very good for this) through an egg. You put the torch right up to the egg and turn the torch on. This will illuminate the egg and you can see what is going on inside.

We used to do this regularly with our 'Special Breed' chucks eggs, to see how they were developing. You can also see if the egg is
infertile and therefore not developing.

In the case of pigeons - I would think it would be better if one knew if the eggs were not going to hatch, days before their due date.

Can it be done with pigeon eggs? I don't see why not. Does anyone have experience of Candling pigeon eggs?

Thanks
Phil (blueskylofts)
Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Candling pigeon eggs   Candling pigeon eggs EmptySun Apr 10, 2016 10:04 am

I always do it, simple enough to just hold it to a light at around 8 days you can see the development easily.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Candling pigeon eggs   Candling pigeon eggs EmptySun Apr 10, 2016 10:05 am

yes works a treat on pigeon eggs phil
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Candling   Candling pigeon eggs EmptySun Apr 10, 2016 10:12 am

oldstrain wrote:
yes works a treat on pigeon eggs phil

Thanks both - good to know.

Phil
Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Candling pigeon eggs   Candling pigeon eggs EmptySun Apr 10, 2016 12:09 pm

never heard of it or tried it, but sounds a good idea.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Candling pigeon eggs   Candling pigeon eggs EmptySun Apr 10, 2016 12:24 pm

I used to do it to the foreign finches I used to breed, some of the tiniest eggs ever, so long as your hands are clean, dirty hands carry bugs that will penetrate the shell and kill the embryo
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Candling pigeon eggs   Candling pigeon eggs EmptySun Apr 10, 2016 12:39 pm

Lofty wrote:
I used to do it to the foreign finches I used to breed, some of the tiniest eggs ever, so long as your hands are clean, dirty hands carry bugs that will penetrate the shell and kill the embryo

handy to know these things lofty, im forever washing my hands during the day because of touching pigeon related items etc......cant be too careful.
Back to top Go down
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Candling pigeon eggs   Candling pigeon eggs EmptySun Apr 10, 2016 5:05 pm

When you think about it David, there's everything that passes through the shell, dirty hands carry all sorts of bugs and nasties, stands to reason these can also be passed through the shell. I bred and showed foreign finches for years and years, I conducted a little experiment, nothing scientific, just for my own curiosity, same pair was used every time so I knew they were a fertile pair, they lay any thing from 6 to 8 eggs per clutch, once all the eggs were layed, I made a point of doing all the cleaning around the shed then carefully picked 4 eggs up with a spoon , handled them quite a bit and put them back, the other eggs were picked up with a spoon and placed under another pair, not touched by hand at all, the eggs I handled with dirty hands were dead in shell, the others under the other pair hatched no problems. No point in doing it as a one off so I did the same on the next clutch, same happened, maybe coincidence, so did the exact same thing the following season and the same happened, so I just thought it must be the bugs and whatever being transferred from the hands. Anyone else have any thought on it.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Candling pigeon eggs   Candling pigeon eggs EmptySun Apr 10, 2016 10:06 pm

Lofty that is an interesting read mate study study
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Candling pigeon eggs   Candling pigeon eggs EmptySun Apr 10, 2016 10:08 pm

yes it is, very interesting indeed.....makes you wonder why some fanciers have nothing but illness and poor hatching.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Candling pigeon eggs   Candling pigeon eggs EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 1:58 am

Don Webb wrote:
Lofty that is an interesting read mate study study

Oh so true Don Smile Smile I suspect it got a few here thinking etc with what Lofty posted. Well done to the man for his effort Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Candling pigeon eggs   Candling pigeon eggs EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 8:58 am

I wonder if touching an egg when I have a boiled or fried one has any effect on me........ scratch scratch study lol!
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Candling pigeon eggs   Candling pigeon eggs EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 11:11 am

Lofty wrote:
When you think about it David, there's everything that passes through the shell, dirty hands carry all sorts of bugs and nasties, stands to reason these can also be passed through the shell. I bred and showed foreign finches for years and years, I conducted a little experiment, nothing scientific, just for my own curiosity, same pair was used every time so I knew they were a fertile pair, they lay any thing from 6 to 8 eggs per clutch, once all the eggs were layed, I made a point of doing all the cleaning around the shed then carefully picked 4 eggs up with a spoon , handled them quite a bit and put them back, the other eggs were picked up with a spoon and placed under another pair, not touched by hand at all, the eggs I handled with dirty hands were dead in shell, the others under the other pair hatched no problems. No point in doing it as a one off so I did the same on the next clutch, same happened, maybe coincidence, so did the exact same thing the following season and the same happened, so I just thought it must be the bugs and whatever being transferred from the hands. Anyone else have any thought on it.

I thought salmonella was the only disease to be transmitted to the egg from the parents not really sure about dirt on human hands or droppings but a very good point roy
Back to top Go down
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Candling pigeon eggs   Candling pigeon eggs EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 12:52 pm

Just an observation Daz, may be something and nothing, just a little experiment I did some years ago, mentioned it to some of the other guys showing birds and they were going to try the same experiment, but finished with the finches before I got to find out, but I convinced myself that the crap we carry around on our hands can be transferred to the embryos through the shell.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Candling pigeon eggs   Candling pigeon eggs EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 2:26 pm

certainly food for thought roy atb m8
Back to top Go down
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Candling pigeon eggs   Candling pigeon eggs EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 5:15 pm

David wrote:
I wonder if touching an egg when I have a boiled or fried one has any effect on me........ scratch scratch study lol!

Of course it had an effect on you, you race pigeons as a hobby, so must have been a bug you picked up lol!
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Candling pigeon eggs   Candling pigeon eggs EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 6:37 pm

I think I was dropped on my head as a baby lofty....... lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Candling pigeon eggs   Candling pigeon eggs EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 10:47 am

David wrote:
I think I was dropped on my head as a baby lofty....... lol! lol!

With 25,278 posts here etc David Smile Smile I could believe that unfortunate situation occurring above Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Candling pigeon eggs   Candling pigeon eggs Empty

Back to top Go down

Candling pigeon eggs
Page 1 of 1