Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» King removes Patronage
It's enough to make you sick Emptyby David Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» Weather today
It's enough to make you sick Emptyby David Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Good Morning
It's enough to make you sick Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:34 am

» escaped birds return
It's enough to make you sick Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
It's enough to make you sick Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
It's enough to make you sick Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
It's enough to make you sick Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
It's enough to make you sick Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
It's enough to make you sick Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) It's enough to make you sick 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 67 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 66 Guests :: 1 Bot

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.It's enough to make you sick Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
It's enough to make you sick Vote_lcapIt's enough to make you sick Voting_barIt's enough to make you sick Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
It's enough to make you sick Vote_lcapIt's enough to make you sick Voting_barIt's enough to make you sick Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222761 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
It's enough to make you sick Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
It's enough to make you sick Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

It's enough to make you sick

Go down 
+3
barnie
oldstrain
blueskylofts
7 posters
AuthorMessage
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

It's enough to make you sick Empty
PostSubject: It's enough to make you sick   It's enough to make you sick EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 8:57 am

I went into our stock loft this morning to clean out - feed etc and found two babies from the same nest dead!

They were both in their nest box, one behind the nest bowl and the other in the middle of their nest box. One had had the skin taken off its back and part of the head, but the other one didn't show signs of too much damage - BUT they were both dead and cold.

WHY ????? Does anyone have any experience of the same thing?

At first, I thought some other cock may have tried to take over the nest box and then killed the babies - much like a male lion would do - then I thought if the parents or parent was under a lot of stress, they might have done it.

I was doing some emergency work on the stock loft yesterday and maybe that upset the birds but the others seem to be OK.

They were just ready for ringing today as well - I am pig sick about it. I really can't afford to lose any young birds.

Anyone got any ideas please.

Phil
Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: It's enough to make you sick   It's enough to make you sick EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 9:09 am

ffs how disheartening to see I am so sorry to hear this phil ....could it be the sire has done this driving the hen to nest again ,I have heard of this behaviour before so watch the sire m8 was their any blood on the ybs if so check the beak and wattle of the sire ...something has obviously forced them out of the nest ,is their a pair going down again maybe and looking for a 2nd nest ,sorry to hear phil atb
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: It's enough to make you sick   It's enough to make you sick EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 9:49 am

Did the ybs seem pecked or part eaten? Are you sure nothing of small vermin variety can get in,for example mice will nibble at baby birds in the nest in the wild. However they couldnt drag a week old pigeon out the bowl.
it's unusual for pigeons to turn on their own yb so young but it can happen but I think most likely another cock been in the box up to no good.
how easy would it be to set up a security camera linked to your phone or pc/tv ? Don't know cost in France but available uk under £50. Might give you answer if it happens again, but I really hope its a one off, it is upsetting when stuff like this happens.
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: It's enough to make you sick   It's enough to make you sick EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 12:01 pm

oldstrain wrote:
ffs how disheartening to see I am so sorry to hear this phil ....could it be the sire has done this driving the hen to nest again ,I have heard of this behaviour before so watch the sire m8 was their any blood on the ybs if so check the beak and wattle of the sire ...something has obviously forced them out of the nest ,is their a pair going down again maybe and looking for a 2nd nest ,sorry to hear phil atb

Darren and Barnie - I have just been into our stock loft and had a good look at every bird in there. Even though one of the babies had the skin taken off part of its back and some of its head NO bird has got blood on its wattle or beak.

Also there is no chance that any rodent or other nasty could have got into the dead birds' nest box. The birds that are dead are on the very top box of 4 and the cock of that box is quite a toughie and I am sure he would have put up a real fight, if anyone had tried to take over his box.

There were small amounts of blood spatter around the nest bowl, but not much. I have seen much worse when cocks have been fighting over a box.

NO chance to get a CCTV or camera in the loft - the cost and different type of signal to French TVs and we have a UK TV.

Unless anyone has any other ideas, it might have to stay a mystery.

I am trying to stay positive, but all our stock birds are the best we can get right now and I would have rather not had this problem.

We press on!

Phil
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: It's enough to make you sick   It's enough to make you sick EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 1:47 pm

i reckon its the sire wants to drive the hen again ....is it a yearling by any chance ,if so that would be another tick in that box for me jmo I may be totally wrong
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: It's enough to make you sick   It's enough to make you sick EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 2:07 pm

Had a hen once that plucked the feathers out of its Young when it was feeding this happened on two occasions in the same season never done it before and certainly never done it again
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: It's enough to make you sick   It's enough to make you sick EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 2:43 pm

oldstrain wrote:
i reckon its the sire wants to drive the hen again ....is it a yearling by any chance ,if so that would be another tick in that box for me jmo I may be totally wrong

The cock and the hen are the same pair as we had last year - so no Darren - neither parent are yearlings.

Phil
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: It's enough to make you sick   It's enough to make you sick EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 3:14 pm

Has happened to me. Few years ago. Cock wanted the young out so he could breed again. Very good bird, very aggressive. Another nest bowl might work for yours??
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: It's enough to make you sick   It's enough to make you sick EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 6:01 pm

halcanada wrote:
Has happened to me. Few years ago. Cock wanted the young out so he could breed again. Very good bird, very aggressive. Another nest bowl might work for yours??

Hi Hal

I am confused - why would a bird kill its own babies at 5/6 days old, just so its hen could lay again??

I didn't see him driving his hen (or any other hen) the last couple of days.

As I said in my other postings - we have had this pair of birds since we started up again last March 2016. In fact we got both birds through another of our members.

Some of our stock pairs are very good breeders - to the extent that they will lay again when their babies are around 10 days old. But they have always laid in the same nest bowl - or I have seen the cock driving his hen and put another nest bowl down before she has laid again.

We never had any problems with this pair last year at all. What do you suggest? Should we for example foster the eggs if we can? Or just risk it for the next round? I did notice that all today the cock was hunkered down in the nest 'ooh-ing' all the time. Would that indicate anything to you?

Phil
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: It's enough to make you sick   It's enough to make you sick EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 6:02 pm

markevans wrote:
Had a hen once that plucked the feathers out of its Young when it was feeding this happened on two occasions in the same season never done it before and certainly never done it again

Hi Mark

As you may have realised from my reply to Hal, the pair of birds in question are two of the three we got through you.

They were as good as gold last year. I just don't know what's gone wrong.

Phil
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: It's enough to make you sick   It's enough to make you sick EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 6:17 pm

Sorry to hear that Phil but I would do as you say and put the next pair of eggs under some feeders and let them go down again and see what happens or put both pair under feeders and the eggfrom the feeders under them
Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

PostSubject: Re: It's enough to make you sick   It's enough to make you sick EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 9:07 pm

That's gutting Phil.
Another slim possibility, is maybe when you turned your lights off, a cock from the box underneath could have flown up to the wrong nest box in the dark, there could have been 2 cocks and a hen all fighting for ages thinking they're all in the right nest box. The adults may not have shown much damage but the young may have got trampled and the skin ripped off their back.
I can't think of another reason, it may not of been anything like that, but it's possible.
A real mystery.
Hope you have better luck the next round mate.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: It's enough to make you sick   It's enough to make you sick EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 11:15 pm

Boosey wrote:
That's gutting Phil.
Another slim possibility, is maybe when you turned your lights off, a cock from the box underneath could have flown up to the wrong nest box in the dark, there could have been 2 cocks and a hen all fighting for ages thinking they're all in the right nest box. The adults may not have shown much damage but the young may have got trampled and the skin ripped off their back.
I can't think of another reason, it may not of been anything like that, but it's possible.
A real mystery.
Hope you have better luck the next round mate.
Agressive cocks or even hens, can at times cause havoc in the breeding loft etc from my point of view. May never quite know the true answer Phil  Smile  Smile but Boosey's suggestion above warrents some merit I feel. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: It's enough to make you sick   It's enough to make you sick EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 4:14 am

Not sure what to say. switching eggs seems most sensible. Wish you well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's enough to make you sick   It's enough to make you sick Empty

Back to top Go down

It's enough to make you sick
Page 1 of 1