Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Winter breeding. Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 10:36 pm

» Good Morning
Winter breeding. Emptyby David Today at 9:42 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Winter breeding. Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:33 am

» York Road & District Results 2024
Winter breeding. Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:32 am

» PR For Pigeons
Winter breeding. Emptyby David Sun May 26, 2024 8:41 pm

» APHA Forms .......
Winter breeding. Emptyby David Fri May 24, 2024 12:03 pm

» Young Pigeon Fanciers
Winter breeding. Emptyby David Wed May 22, 2024 12:08 am

» King removes Patronage
Winter breeding. Emptyby David Wed May 22, 2024 12:02 am

» come join us
Winter breeding. Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Winter breeding. 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 32 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 32 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Winter breeding. Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Winter breeding. Vote_lcapWinter breeding. Voting_barWinter breeding. Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 223007 messages in 14009 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Winter breeding. Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Winter breeding. Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Winter breeding.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Winter breeding. Empty
PostSubject: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 3:28 pm

Some eggs today. Stock birds.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Winter breeding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 8:00 pm

Having completely open loft all year round and never separating them one or two would go down in the Winter period but most did not.

Bred very good pigeon one year in October from a pair a young friend wanted a pair from and I let hatch and bring up.

Think if separated you can put them together at anytime and they will breed.

Depends entirely on your intentions regarding racing etc;

If fed properly I do not think the weather has any influence on the quality or ability of the young.

Good Luck.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Winter breeding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 8:39 pm

Works well every year for some birds. Some stock are just young birds so probably will not go down for a while. No matter. All through the moult without a problem. Light system for the young. June 15 longest day. Keep them on that period of light until finished racing. No stress.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Winter breeding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 10:46 pm

MISTY wrote:
Having completely open loft all year round and never separating  them one or two would go down in the Winter period but most did not.

Bred very good pigeon one year in October from a pair a young friend wanted a pair from and I let hatch and bring up.

Think if separated you can put them together at anytime and they will breed.

Depends entirely on your intentions regarding racing etc;

If fed properly I  do not think the weather has any influence on the quality or ability of the young.

Good Luck.

Regards.

Must agree on average with you Misty Wink Wink. in days of old Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes many here bred in winter "June/July" bounce bounce to have early type youngsters for Y/Bds etc. Y/Bd racing has long gone here "March/April" so not as many bother with breeding as early now. End of the day thou Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes healthy pigeons breed healthy youngsters as such & the weather factor is just a small part of the jig saw puzzle I suggest Smile Smile on average. cheers
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Winter breeding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 11:06 pm

ive some on eggs now, just deciding weather to hatch them or smash them........ Suspect scratch study santa
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Winter breeding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. EmptyFri Dec 14, 2018 12:45 am

Depends how many David and how many you have room for in your plans, good idea to keep all happy let them all hatch and just pick the few best reared.

Too any, Bad Idea.

Good Luck.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Winter breeding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. EmptyFri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 am

Agree with that statement. Other factors here are the bitter cold days. Loft is not heated. Parents have to be on the ball. Hence with young in the nest feed always available. So they do not leave the nest to eat. Are those parents raising better young birds? Do not know yet.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Winter breeding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. EmptyFri Dec 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Some sun. Stock getting air.Winter breeding. 000_0617
Winter breeding. 000_0619
Winter breeding. 000_0618
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Winter breeding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. EmptySat Dec 15, 2018 11:08 am

If you could go by looks and condition alone Hal, you would have it cracked, but it does not always go that way for numerous reasons, but by gum it helps.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Winter breeding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. EmptySat Dec 15, 2018 3:05 pm

Racers picked by the eye. Mine!! Easier to see white ones!! Age thingy!!
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Winter breeding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. EmptySun Dec 16, 2018 2:37 pm

True Misty. I think Hal would agree. They are certainly beautiful to the ete, that's for sure. Envious here !
Mind I was always conscious of the pigeons looks etc. I thought, believed, that if you are going to keep the pigeons A. the neighbours would appreciate the birds better if in fine fettle ESPECIALLY the colourful ones!
B. me likewise. I prefer to have good pigeon that look the part ... harder to do in many respects. Is a long and patientt game that. Think we all have ones that are agreeable to the eye. So I went for those.

A book came out in Belguim, 2005 I believe that gave the lokks, wieght sizes etc. etc. of very many national and top class pigeons. The result over whelmingly proved that good pigeons come in all shapes and sizes and colours.

I tend to feel that that the Canadian birds have a slight edge on ours regards looks and some velocities. The reason being the air is better than ours... The lakes are like oceans etc and the vast crops. The wheat etc. also helps the bouency in flight.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Winter breeding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 8:02 am

You only have to look in the present sports publications, Daz, to see that the best pigeons vary in EVERY aspect.

Some completely devoid of the attributes the EXPERTS say are necessary, good job too or the sport would not be what it is.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Winter breeding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. EmptyWed Dec 19, 2018 3:25 pm

The most important things for our birds' health are ALL Free! Including Fresh Air and Clean water. Best from a spring or well... know a club that clean out a Well 2 /3 times a week on a Rota. Benefits galore. Mole Hills. Fantastic... if one wants to spend 10 minutes 3 times a week.
Any such whims one wants are vastly cheaper at the Super Markets. Yeah my Jams juice is / are never wasted. Bottled or frozen. Kids love the bottled too... Has every goodness there is … even energy for racing. Coupled with Groats What Ho!
What are ALL energy drinks? Coffee and sugar with flavouring!
In Belgium where they basket in morning Most birds were / are feed a coffee bean or two. No good here as they would dance all night and sleep in the morning lol.

Last edited by Daz on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Winter breeding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. EmptyWed Dec 19, 2018 6:03 pm

Of course you are right Daz, Nature if treated in the right manner cannot be beaten for the benefit of any animal in all respects.

But then what would the commercial boys do?

I am afraid over the years the commercial boys have done a very good job of turning the management of our sport and the pigeons in particular into in many cases ROBOTS.

There is far more money involved in the commercial side than the basic sport.

Have a bunch of cress from a spring cost nothing, but no far better to go and buy a load of drugs and aids to win etc; that can only be eventually be detrimental to the pigeons welfare not being administered through the pigeons natural digestive system etc;

Sorry but fanciers progressively over the years have been their own worst enemy.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Winter breeding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. Empty

Back to top Go down

Winter breeding.
Page 1 of 1