Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» King removes Patronage
Thoughts please Emptyby David Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» Weather today
Thoughts please Emptyby David Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Good Morning
Thoughts please Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:34 am

» escaped birds return
Thoughts please Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Thoughts please Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Thoughts please Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
Thoughts please Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
Thoughts please Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
Thoughts please Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Thoughts please 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 81 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 81 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Thoughts please Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Thoughts please Vote_lcapThoughts please Voting_barThoughts please Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222761 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Thoughts please Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Thoughts please Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Thoughts please

Go down 
+2
George & Morgan
816johnv
6 posters
AuthorMessage
816johnv
Chipping
Chipping

Thoughts please Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts please   Thoughts please EmptyWed Jul 05, 2023 10:02 am

Just looking to purchase a shed to convert into a loft, what's your thoughts on this one please? I'm going for 12ft x 4ft I'm looking to make it 3 sections with an avery on each section

https://www.tigersheds.com/product/tigerflex-shiplap-pent-shed/
Back to top Go down
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

Thoughts please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts please   Thoughts please EmptyWed Jul 05, 2023 10:13 am

not wide enough it would be best for you to have corridor of some kind 8ft wide 3ft corridor should work this is mine as i enter the loft best to have it the full length

Thoughts please P1010914
Back to top Go down
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

Thoughts please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts please   Thoughts please EmptyWed Jul 05, 2023 10:17 am

also good idea to have a wire door which will let in fresh air in then lock up evening

Thoughts please P1060443
Back to top Go down
816johnv
Chipping
Chipping

Thoughts please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts please   Thoughts please EmptyWed Jul 05, 2023 10:24 am

Thanks George, i was thinking 4ft wide so i would be closer to the birds and hopefully make them tamer, but the corridor does make sense, i will be putting a wire door on to allow the air through, how many air vents do you have on yours? and what size is your loft?
Back to top Go down
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

Thoughts please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts please   Thoughts please EmptyWed Jul 05, 2023 10:30 am

no vents flight before the corridor

Thoughts please P1010915
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Thoughts please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts please   Thoughts please EmptyWed Jul 05, 2023 11:29 am

816johnv wrote:
Just looking to purchase a shed to convert into a loft, what's your thoughts on this one please? I'm going for 12ft x 4ft I'm looking to make it 3 sections with an avery on each section

https://www.tigersheds.com/product/tigerflex-shiplap-pent-shed/
Depends Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 816 john v Smile Smile perches only would work from my perspective here, seeing as your apparently planning an Avery on each section there. Breeding boxes thou, some what small at 4 ft wide all things considered on average. End of the day Smile Smile if you have the dedication factor bounce bounce you could race to a box on a fence type thing, if you have the right birds on hand for what's required in a racing sense. cheers
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Thoughts please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts please   Thoughts please EmptyWed Jul 05, 2023 11:33 am

My loft which I've used for the past two years is 14 x 8 in two sections, which includes a corridor so I am sheltered from the rain etc, my old loft which I still have up where I used to keep my birds is 18 x 6 and three sections......I've heard of fanciers having a narrow loft like you say, to make it easier to catch them, plus they say it makes them tamer........each to their own I say, do whatever suits you and your management,

Lime George says ventilation is something you will need, plus secondary wire doors are a good idea too, to help with the air flow and fresh air ....
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Thoughts please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts please   Thoughts please EmptyWed Jul 05, 2023 12:28 pm

David wrote:
My loft which I've used for the past two years is 14 x 8 in two sections, which includes a corridor so I am sheltered from the rain etc, my old loft which I still have up where I used to keep my birds is 18 x 6 and three sections......I've heard of fanciers having a narrow loft like you say, to make it easier to catch them, plus they say it makes them tamer........each to their own I say, do whatever suits you and your management,

Lime George says ventilation is something you will need, plus secondary wire doors are a good idea too, to help with the air flow and fresh air ....
My night lol! lol! lol! for disagreement's here apparently Very Happy Very Happy lol! lol! lol! Flights running the length of the loft there as mentioned by John, should perhaps cover all basis on the ventilation side from my experience etc. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Thoughts please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts please   Thoughts please EmptyWed Jul 05, 2023 2:34 pm

Best bet in my opinion is to breed two young from each of the pairs you have which will settle them down for next years breeding and settle the young ones flying out which will also help next years young ones and give you a chance to fly the yearlings matters not if you win draw or lose in the first instance it is settling the pigeons down and contented.

As for the loft.

Contentment for the pigeons not the fancier springs to mind, one little hen of note flew to an orange box, tis not the loft that matters as long as the pigeons are content and healthy, the latter being a main priority.

Think 4 ft sections far too small.

Would aim for having all pigeons flying out and no prisoner stock birds.

Just hope matters plan out OK.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Thoughts please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts please   Thoughts please EmptyWed Jul 05, 2023 5:23 pm

4ft wide with a flight running across the front is all the ventilation you need but make sure there is a vent to tame away stale air at the back at the top ,most have a 2inch gap along the back and at the top but be sire to cover with wire mesh else squirrels/rats will be in there ,dont use v-perch they no good for catching the pigeons and box perch is better ,regarding the flight you just aswell have it the length of the shed and to the floor outside as then they can bath in there and plenty room for the birds ,if you design it correctly the roof of the flight can be yer landing board and a opening to trap into the loft at the top/front ,dont rush into it have a good think about yer design and what birds the loft is for ie.stock,ybs,obs etc...its well worth taking yer time and designing it properly,we have a member here called "barnie" he converted a shed to a loft ,good luck Wink
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Thoughts please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts please   Thoughts please EmptyWed Jul 05, 2023 6:26 pm

Top fanciers have won using every conceivable loft.

Just run a few continental fancier's videos or our own top fanciers.

Some never ever use an aviary.

You can make things as simple or as complicated as you want.

What matters is the wellbeing of the pigeons and their health.

An aviary is a cat attraction which does not help.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
816johnv
Chipping
Chipping

Thoughts please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts please   Thoughts please EmptyThu Jul 06, 2023 10:20 am

Thank you all for the replies, I will have a rethink, I do like the sound of a corridor and the door with the mesh as an extra way to ventilate the loft.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Thoughts please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts please   Thoughts please Empty

Back to top Go down

Thoughts please
Page 1 of 1