Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' Emptyby oldstrain Today at 12:21 pm

» Weather today
Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 12:09 pm

» King removes Patronage
Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' Emptyby oldstrain Today at 11:04 am

» York Road & District Results 2024
Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' Emptyby David Yesterday at 1:35 pm

» APHA Forms .......
Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' Emptyby David Fri May 17, 2024 11:38 am

» come join us
Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 24 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 24 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' Vote_lcapPigeons 'sense magnetic field' Voting_barPigeons 'sense magnetic field' Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' Vote_lcapPigeons 'sense magnetic field' Voting_barPigeons 'sense magnetic field' Vote_rcap 
David
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 222893 messages in 14007 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' Empty
PostSubject: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 4:42 pm

The pigeons have magnets in their beaks
Homing pigeons use the Earth's magnetic field to navigate their way home over long distances, scientists writing in Nature magazine claim.
The pigeons probably use tiny magnetic particles in their beaks to sense our planet's magnetic field, scientists say

The birds use their ability to create a map of this field and then use it to navigate back to their home loft, New Zealand researchers claim.

It casts serious doubt on a theory that the birds use smell to navigate.

Cordula Mora and colleagues from the University of Auckland, New Zealand, placed homing pigeons in a wooden tunnel with one feeder platform at each end of the tunnel.

Attached to the outside of this tunnel were magnetic coils.

The pigeons were trained to go to one feeder if the magnetic coils were switched off and to the other if the coils were switched on.

Homing sense

The scientists then carried out tests designed to impair their ability to detect a magnetic field.

Firstly, they attached magnets to the birds' beaks, their ability to discriminate when the magnetic coils were switched on or off was drastically impaired.

Secondly, the Auckland team anaesthetised the upper beak area of the pigeons, a similar drop was seen in the ability to detect the magnetic "anomaly" generated by the coils.

Finally, the researchers cut the pigeons' trigeminal nerve (a large nerve carrying optical and other signals to the brain) and found that their magnetic sense was again impaired.

However, this did not occur if the researchers cut the olfactory nerve (which conveys smell signals to the brain), contradicting the theory that they navigate using smell.

Taken together, these results are consistent with the theory that homing pigeons detect magnetic fields using particles located in their upper beaks.

The existence of these magnetic particles in the birds' beaks has been known since the 1970s.

"We suggest that our work provides the basis for detailed studies of both the operation and use of the magnetic sense in homing pigeons and possibly migratory bird species," the researchers write in Nature.

Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 11:36 pm

Rene nice bit of information, but the way pigeons fing there way home has always been a big mistry
Back to top Go down
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 11:49 pm

yes mate i agree but wen i read this i thought ummmmm i wonder what others opinions would be on the subject if i rember rightly a while ago they tracked a pigeon from a training toss and it seemed to follow the roads and motorways before breaking for home but how the hell can they follow roads/motorways across the channel wen there aint none to follow and as it says in the first part of the post it says probably so even they dont know but stii it makes one wonder how they reay do do it
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 9:07 pm

interesting reading rene, wonder what would happen if you put a magnet onto a pigeons beak..........?

as don says tho, it has always been a mistery.......take for example the stray i got in a few weeks ago, firstly i fed it up and took it one mile away........it came back. then a few days later i took it approx three miles away.......it came back. then i decided to take it with me when i went for corn which is ten miles away.........it came back. so then idecided to report the bird and told the owner a friend was driving to the newcastle area in a week or so and he would liberate it nearer home, the bird has been living in my corn shed and if/when she wanted to go out she did, but most of the time she stayed in the shed......then the other night at 8 oclock she flew out of the corn shed and sat on my stock shed, had a look around for a couple of minutes and shot off.........the next day the owner phoned me to tell me she had got home that morning so she decided just out of the blue that she wanted to go home. she must have been a decent pigeon to fly from leeds to newcastle in the rain and thunderstorms that night......so it just goes to show, the homing instinct is a mistery.......... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 10:22 pm

Very Happy ell I have to say Im not surprised this is the secret, and its one I belive is true...Just recently because of the weather a mate and I have been forced into training the youngsters in terrable weather, many times we have let them go 35 miles in a clear location but with lots of morning mist all around and fog in many places on route, I was almost frieghtened by the prospect of oosing them all through the fog patches, but seems when they get a good start they come through dispite the fog so must be something other than visual which makes them home, so magnetic seems correct. from our experiences this year... scratch
Back to top Go down
Grizzle cock
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 6:59 pm

David, the same thing happened to my dad, many years ago.
I agree, it is a mystery.
Why can't all homing pigeons find their way home? if they all could sense the field. Question
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:38 pm

hi niel, i suppose there are a lot of reasons why birds are either homers or racers and also luck would play a part ie bops, weather, wires etc............and i suppose these things are just part of the mystery of the homing ability. scratch
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 10:19 pm

Must say Martyn, once the birds have there mind on the job and have a clear start then there is no stopping the best pigeons, sort the wheat from the shaft mate.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 10:22 pm

what would members say is the difference between a homer and a racer.......? incentive ? scratch or ability ? Question
Back to top Go down
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 10:38 pm

i would say both david
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 10:54 pm

yes i suppose so rene.............. scratch suppose its like saying whats the difference between a good birds and a crap one Very Happy lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 11:06 pm

lol! lol! lol! if you think bout it they need the homing instinct but also need the agliaty aswell
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 11:11 pm

thats right rene, a birds either got it or it hasnt...................good or crap. lol! lol! lol! and theres only one way to find out eh lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 11:13 pm

yep the basket mate sent 19 of my ybs over the water 9 an af miles got 25 back sent em again tonight for tomo mate
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 11:25 pm

scratch got me confused rene, sent 19 and got 25 back............? scratch lol!
Back to top Go down
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 12:01 am

lol! lol! lol! im confused . com im tierd i was ment to say sent 29 got 25 back lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 12:14 am

lol! lol! lol! nice one rene.................... Very Happy lol! seems every time i send mine i loose one, havnt sent all this week due to them not being right but hopefully will restart again as soon as they are better. scratch Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 12:19 am

whats wrong with em mate ?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 9:05 pm

Rene A wrote:
whats wrong with em mate ?

bit hunched up rene, off the food and the odd one loosing a bit of weight.........thought at first yb sickness but have had that ruled out by john murray my local corn man who is quite clued up on all things pigeon. Very Happy

i gave them a course of tablets for bacterial infection and today they are looking a lot better and being more active around the loft, i kept them short of food for a day or so then gradually went from a few handfulls of golden boost then to barley......then yesterday it was half and half barley and full corn so by the weekend they should be back on full corn again.........im not certain but ive a suspition the corn i was feeding was dodgy so ive restocked with vanroubys (? spelling) corn which is nice and clean and fresh, so hopefully even if i miss the first newark i might be able to get them into the second one........... Very Happy Razz
Back to top Go down
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 9:09 pm

good luck with em mate we only got a couple of weeks for our 1st race loking forward to it aswell
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 9:12 pm

hope they do you proud rene, would be nice to see you at the top of the sheet....... Very Happy cheers
Back to top Go down
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 9:21 pm

now that would make me happy after a rubbish ob season mate
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 10:13 pm

how many ybs you got rene...........?
Back to top Go down
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 10:49 pm

bout 36 altogether but that inclu my two daughters birds aswell mate doin two teams for the 1st two races then all for the last two
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 10:54 pm

yes sounds a sensible thing to do, round near me they always seem to have a bad first race and big losses...............so it often pays not to put all your eggs in one basket (so to speak...lol) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'   Pigeons 'sense magnetic field' Empty

Back to top Go down

Pigeons 'sense magnetic field'
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next