Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:16 pm

» Good Morning
How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day Emptyby David Today at 2:48 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day Emptyby David Today at 1:35 pm

» APHA Forms .......
How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day Emptyby David Fri May 17, 2024 11:38 am

» come join us
How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 35 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 34 Guests :: 1 Bot

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day Vote_lcapHow do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day Voting_barHow do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day Vote_lcapHow do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day Voting_barHow do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 222883 messages in 14007 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day

Go down 
+4
Rene A
Alex
IANYOUNG
silvervlerk
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
silvervlerk
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day Empty
PostSubject: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 5:11 pm

Hi to all.
I'm a beginner
I have had pigeons for a few years, read a lot, but have no racing experience.
I am planning to race in 2011.
This might be a tough one.
How / what do i need to feed so i have to band my youngsters on the 5th day?
scratch
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 5:21 pm

hi mate glad youve joined us if you are breeding youngsters give your stoc a good quality breeding mix always have food in front of them when feeding youngbirds i have two pots per nest box one is filled with breeding mix the other is filled with maple peas when the youngbirds are around 5- 6 days old and are getting hard corn , always have grit and minerals and fresh water twice a day
Back to top Go down
Alex
Youngbird
Youngbird
Alex

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 5:26 pm

Welcome to the site mate Very Happy Hope you enjoy it here.

Very good info there Ian, very helpful Very Happy
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 5:29 pm

Alex wrote:
Welcome to the site mate Very Happy Hope you enjoy it here.

Very good info there Ian, very helpful Very Happy
i try my best alex
Back to top Go down
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 6:18 pm

Welcome to the site mate
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 7:25 pm

Silverlerk Ian has told you the main thing about young birds squickers but you dont have to put rings on in 5 days to me its about 7 to 8 days when you put the rings on, when do put the rings on put the 3 front toes forwords as you put the ring on the back toe will go backwards then pull the back toe out of the ring if once you have done that make shore that you cant pull the ring back off the foot if it dose leave it off and try again the next day
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 8:55 pm

i usually ring my ybs around 6 - 7 days depending how big the yb is, as we all know some are bigger than others at this age so its best to start keeping an eye on them around 5 days onwards.
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:04 pm

Yes you can start ringing the birds then what I trying to do is to give him the jest of putting the rings on Ian had given all the rest I didnt no if he done it befor
Back to top Go down
Alex
Youngbird
Youngbird
Alex

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:11 pm

Is it hard to get the rings on?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:11 pm

yes, thank you ginger...good information. as we have all rung ybs before sometimes we can forget that a new fancier will have never done it before.........there have been times i have missed ringing them and have had to use washing up liquid on the foot to ease the ring on, and then use a tooth pick to pull the toe through.

i once struggled to ring a yb and then realised it was on upside down, no big problem i know but i wanted it right.......the job i had to get the ring off again was unbeleivable but i did it in the end and got it on the right way without too much discomfort to the bird.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:14 pm

Alex wrote:

ah right, didnt realise alex......you have become such a major member of the site i forgot you are a new starter and will not have rung ybs before..........no its not hard provided you do it at the right age which as i have said for me is 6 - 7 days, but also you dont want to ring too early because the ring could come off in the nest and you might not realise until it is too late......
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:20 pm

I allways put mine upside down as when the person who is putting the bird in they ushty put the head to them and only have to lift the leg and the rind is facing them if the ring is the right way pu they ave to twist the bird around
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:23 pm

yes same here ginger, right leg, upside down......................... cheers
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:28 pm

you said you put the ring upside down higher up the page David you have been married too long
Back to top Go down
Alex
Youngbird
Youngbird
Alex

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:40 pm

DAVID wrote:
Alex wrote:

ah right, didnt realise alex......you have become such a major member of the site i forgot you are a new starter and will not have rung ybs before..........no its not hard provided you do it at the right age which as i have said for me is 6 - 7 days, but also you dont want to ring too early because the ring could come off in the nest and you might not realise until it is too late......

Been here for nearly 2 months now Very Happy

When I get the first ybs bred I will try at six days, dont want to leave it longer incase I cant get them on lol! Then after that I can try them seven days if they wont stay on. And yes I will keep an eye on them when they are in the nest. That will be the worst thing if a ring falls of and I dont notice it. Only rings I have ever put on are the plastic clip rings lol!
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 11:38 pm

Good bit of information again Ian Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 11:40 pm

Good bit of Information Ginger and that is another piece of the jigsaw Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 11:41 pm

Welcome to the site Silververlk hope you enjoy
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 11:47 pm

like ginger says alex, all you need to do is the three toes through the ring and the back toe you pull through.......ive found that before 6 days they have a chance of coming off so i usually do it at 7 days but do check as some ybs grow quicker than others and could be ready at 6 days old........if you get stuck our members will advise you. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 12:20 am

hope this helps you out mate

Back to top Go down
Alex
Youngbird
Youngbird
Alex

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 12:52 am

Very helpful Rene, thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 12:49 pm

I personally dont care at what age birds get ringed, I think it depends on the birds, I had some van reets that needed ringing at 4 days, any longer and you wouldnt get them on without lube. Some birds just have biger feet and legs than others, look at the babies everyday and you will soon see who needs ringing, good video for novices rene.
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 5:07 pm

yes your right there martyn they are ready when they are ready and thats that , like you say different breeds are different
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 6:29 pm

rudderfett wrote:
I personally dont care at what age birds get ringed, I think it depends on the birds, I had some van reets that needed ringing at 4 days, any longer and you wouldnt get them on without lube. Some birds just have biger feet and legs than others, look at the babies everyday and you will soon see who needs ringing, good video for novices rene.

sure they arnt ducks martyn.......... lol! they must have big feet/legs at 4 days old eh....... lol! lol! lol!

seriously though, this is why i said in a previous post that ybs can be rung in my opinion from about 6 - 7 days depending on the size of the yb as some are bigger than others and some also grow quicker than others.......when i have ybs in the nest because i do not breed loads of babies i know roughly when each one will be 4 - 5 days old and then i just keep my eye on them and guess when the time is right to ring them........ Very Happy
Back to top Go down
silvervlerk
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 11:55 am

Thanx for the warm welcome.

Thank you all for your responses and the debate. Very Happy

I also ring on the seventh day - but i want to ring earlier - on the 5th.

I put rings on upside down - so when holding the bird against your chest, legs away from you,i can read the ring - now reading the right way around - nice for basketing. Also the ring has a smooth edge and a rough edge -smooth edge on the ankle rough edge upwards - it must be anoying to the bird if the rough edge is on its ankle

I ring on the right leg - on basketing night the racing rubber traditionally goes on the left leg.

Ian
I like the pots in the nest box. although i will have to modify them to prevent soiling of the feed - the youngsters should also learn to feed themselves earlier - excellent, thanx

Rudderfett
I like your Logo eye - you must tell me about this bird, it should have an interesting history.
I read somewhere - the dark line at 2 o'clock is a result of trauma (hard race)?.
I'm very interested in eyes.

You are the only member that mentions ringing youngsters before the 6-7 days old.
You say some birds just have bigger feet - i agree, a good point but also this could be an indication of ultimate health resulting the most vigorous youngsters, that develop faster and perform earlier. Also they may be amongst the better performers and possibly good producers. Could you check your (1) Racing & (2) Breeding records to see if the birds rung on 5 days are a "touch" above the rest.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day   How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day Empty

Back to top Go down

How do i have to feed so i have to band by the 5th day
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next