Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» York Road & District Results 2024
Weaning, what age ? Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 12:04 pm

» Weather today
Weaning, what age ? Emptyby David Today at 11:40 am

» APHA Forms .......
Weaning, what age ? Emptyby David Today at 11:38 am

» Good Morning
Weaning, what age ? Emptyby David Today at 11:36 am

» come join us
Weaning, what age ? Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Weaning, what age ? Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Weaning, what age ? Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Weaning, what age ? Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
Weaning, what age ? Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Weaning, what age ? 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 27 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 27 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Weaning, what age ? Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Weaning, what age ? Vote_lcapWeaning, what age ? Voting_barWeaning, what age ? Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Weaning, what age ? Vote_lcapWeaning, what age ? Voting_barWeaning, what age ? Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222862 messages in 14007 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Weaning, what age ? Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Weaning, what age ? Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Weaning, what age ?

Go down 
+3
Gaz b
peel bros
David
7 posters
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Weaning, what age ? Empty
PostSubject: Weaning, what age ?   Weaning, what age ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 4:20 pm

what age do members wean their ybs, i usually wean around 28 - 30 days, but this all depends on how i think they have progressed, but at this age they are well covered under the wing and can eat and drink well...........

sometimes the only problem i have is at 30 days old they are too strong on the wing.........
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: Weaning, what age ?   Weaning, what age ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 4:23 pm

similar to you david,i check to see if they are ok,but not too late
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: Weaning, what age ?   Weaning, what age ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 4:40 pm

Ours get weaned from 21 days onward. Some you will find are more advanced than others. But they soon pick it up from the others. I just think it's important to keep an eye on them and make sure they know what and where the drinker is.
My own birds, I start to feed them quarter of peanuts from my hand.
As this is part of my youngbird training, which helps us develop a bond.
Back to top Go down
http://kjlofts.yolasite.com/about-our-birds.php
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Weaning, what age ?   Weaning, what age ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 4:44 pm

ive heard sometake the ybs and hens away togeather when the ybs are 14 days old.............the ybs are then pumped full of food by all the hens feeding any of the ybs regardles of weather they are their own........ study
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: Weaning, what age ?   Weaning, what age ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 4:45 pm

a lot do,nt get that bond with their ybs,i think it is very important and we have a fantastic bond with ours,just watch my video some they its starving them but i know they are jealous of my birds lol....
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: Weaning, what age ?   Weaning, what age ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 4:48 pm

My mate Kev, has a cage made from 2x2 inch mesh, which all of his youngbirds get bedded down on fresh straw in the stock loft and the hens can still feed them through the mesh if they wish. This is for the first five or six days before they are removed into their section.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Weaning, what age ?   Weaning, what age ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 4:48 pm

yes i agree ray, the bond with the ybs is important...........also very impressed by how your birds trap. cheers
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: Weaning, what age ?   Weaning, what age ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 4:50 pm

That's good training and a good bond. Mine trap with one grain of corn.
Every credit Ray. You have it sussed.
Back to top Go down
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird
birdy2011

PostSubject: Re: Weaning, what age ?   Weaning, what age ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 4:51 pm

like anything teach it young and fair you wont go far wrong i wean mine around 30 days but play with them in the boxes then hand feed all the time from then on
this is a good way to bond any that piss you about when called in dont feed um and only let them out after the others have had there excercise and play repeat offenders dont get a third chance here but others will disergree
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: Weaning, what age ?   Weaning, what age ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 4:54 pm

Spot on G.
Many will disagree, but this is the way.
You have to be disciplined and so do your birds.
Any that don't trap for me go without, till the next feed. They never need a second chance.
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: Weaning, what age ?   Weaning, what age ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 4:57 pm

Gaz b wrote:
My mate Kev, has a cage made from 2x2 inch mesh, which all of his youngbirds get bedded down on fresh straw in the stock loft and the hens can still feed them through the mesh if they wish. This is for the first five or six days before they are removed into their section.
excellent idea that
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Weaning, what age ?   Weaning, what age ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 5:01 pm

graham, why do you think we get repeat offenders which will not respond like the others, is it because they are less intelligent of they are lacking in some way.....? or just that they have got into the wrong routine.....?
Back to top Go down
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird
birdy2011

PostSubject: Re: Weaning, what age ?   Weaning, what age ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 5:12 pm

to be honest david ive not got a clue why some do it but i do know that they soon pass the habbit on to others ie go on the house roof etc yes in general i think some are just dopey and remain that way best off without them
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Weaning, what age ?   Weaning, what age ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 5:38 pm

usualy wean at 25 to 28 days
Back to top Go down
seanl
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Weaning, what age ?   Weaning, what age ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 5:39 pm

many years ago an old friend of my fathers had a fly away he was left with 2 y/bs this man was one of the best fanciers i ever new his name was tommy bransby any way the 2 y/bs used to go out each day ranged for hrs used to come back by them selves the blue pd was very tame but the dk in was crazy he named the y/bs dandy long legs the pd the darkin the witch doctor when they cam home from training they trapped like bullts but if you wherent quick the dkin would be out and away only 2 y/bs but they swept all before them and went on to win many races i asked old tommy why he put up with the dark in he said sean trat them as individuals thats a trait in my family i always get one like him now and a gain and they terric breeders and racers
sean
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Weaning, what age ?   Weaning, what age ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 5:43 pm

two very good points raised there graham and sean, i agree graham thay offenders can and do encourage others into bad ways, and also i get seans point about individuals and that they can become very good birds even tho they are head strong and dont always abide by the rules...........

good comments.
Back to top Go down
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird
birdy2011

PostSubject: Re: Weaning, what age ?   Weaning, what age ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 5:49 pm

ive seen many widowhood cocks roof hopping but thats differant they are on form or comming into form they only stay there a split second but as for young birds i wont let it get to that stage what the eye dont see the heart wont cry over come saturdays
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Weaning, what age ?   Weaning, what age ? EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 1:03 am

birdy2011 wrote:
like anything teach it young and fair you wont go far wrong i wean mine around 30 days but play with them in the boxes then hand feed all the time from then on
this is a good way to bond any that piss you about when called in dont feed um and only let them out after the others have had there excercise and play repeat offenders dont get a third chance here but others will disergree

Spot on Graham you need the bond but also you need to show them who is still the boss

With regards the weaning age between 21 and 26 days max for me, as we all know pigeons are like sheep once one does something the others will follow and its the same with youngsters as they all develop differently
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weaning, what age ?   Weaning, what age ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Weaning, what age ?
Page 1 of 1