Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» King removes Patronage
PMV Vaccination.....? Emptyby David Today at 4:18 pm

» Weather today
PMV Vaccination.....? Emptyby David Today at 4:16 pm

» Good Morning
PMV Vaccination.....? Emptyby David Today at 11:34 am

» escaped birds return
PMV Vaccination.....? Emptyby David Today at 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
PMV Vaccination.....? Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
PMV Vaccination.....? Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
PMV Vaccination.....? Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
PMV Vaccination.....? Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
PMV Vaccination.....? Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) PMV Vaccination.....? 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 68 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 67 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.PMV Vaccination.....? Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
PMV Vaccination.....? Vote_lcapPMV Vaccination.....? Voting_barPMV Vaccination.....? Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
PMV Vaccination.....? Vote_lcapPMV Vaccination.....? Voting_barPMV Vaccination.....? Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222760 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
PMV Vaccination.....? Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
PMV Vaccination.....? Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

PMV Vaccination.....?

Go down 
+2
Rudderfett
Joseph Vincent
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Joseph Vincent
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PMV Vaccination.....? Empty
PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 11:59 am

I preferred to scrape and remove the dust in my loft using broom. (Is that brooming?) Sorry, I'm just trying to clear it. Lol! I just wondered how did they clean their loft if it has a litter? There were times the birds dropping is wet especially after the long race. Wet flooring affects the bird's condition. If the bird, for example, had a pmv, the birds dropping will stay intact to the litter so all the birds are at risk. They will possibly had a pmv too!
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 10:00 pm

not if they are vaccinated?
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 11:39 pm

Joseph Vincent wrote:
I preferred to scrape and remove the dust in my loft using broom. (Is that brooming?) Sorry, I'm just trying to clear it. Lol! I just wondered how did they clean their loft if it has a litter? There were times the birds dropping is wet especially after the long race. Wet flooring affects the bird's condition. If the bird, for example, had a pmv, the birds dropping will stay intact to the litter so all the birds are at risk. They will possibly had a pmv too!

Just curious Joseph Smile Smile do you vaccinate for PMV there etc, where you are. cheers 
Back to top Go down
Joseph Vincent
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 12:25 pm

I culled them immediately. Whether you vaccinate it or not, those weaked birds have a big possibility to infect. Aside from that, I don't let stray birds to stay in my vicinity or else I will kill it! Even loft flying, once the bird return home while others are still flying, I cull it! I'm not giving it to others and I'm not SELLING it because it's a weak birds. All birds in the club are vaccinated except my team. Most of them are asking me why their birds are sick. I can't even answer them because my birds are all in good condition. All I can say to them is "if one of my team got sick, I culled them because they have no chance to win the race".
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 4:32 am

Joseph Vincent wrote:
I culled them immediately. Whether you vaccinate it or not, those weaked birds have a big possibility to infect. Aside from that, I don't let stray birds to stay in my vicinity or else I will kill it! Even loft flying, once the bird return home while others are still flying, I cull it! I'm not giving it to others and I'm not SELLING it because it's a weak birds. All birds in the club are vaccinated except my team. Most of them are asking me why their birds are sick. I can't even answer them because my birds are all in good condition. All I can say to them is "if one of my team got sick, I culled them because they have no chance to win the race".
One would have to say Smile Smile Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes an interesting read Joseph, but a confusing one also I'm afraid, at least to me. You mention that the the club birds are vaccinated etc for PMV, but yours are not (Playing with fire) I'm affraid  if that is the case from my perspective etc. Unless you have found some magical potion Smile Smile in your management region, that protect's your birds from the PMV issue type of thing. The sickness which you mention with there birds I doubt very much, comes from the PMV vaccinne injection. The true cause of all there problems etc lie else where I suspect, thou I am the first to admit lol! lol! lol!  that I don't know everything, as they say. Just as foot note Wink Wink  I have heard of good flyers here given their birds an injection for PMV in the middle of the race season to give there birds a boost, & by all accounts it seems to work "Does make one think" somewhat. cheers
Back to top Go down
Joseph Vincent
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 11:36 am

Clubs here are not allowing those sick birds to load in a truck. There are several types of anti-pmv that used here and they don't even know how it works. Most fanciers here in my place are using a local products which is not design for pigeon unlike the Hipraviar brand which I recommend to them but they just can't afford it. How do I knew the Hipraviar? I used it when I was a loftman in Manila. That's the only brand we used. But here in my province, no one uses that brand aside from local brand so I refuse to use it. As long as the birds are healthy, they are not easily get sick. If it shows sickness, goodbye birdie!
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 12:06 pm

is it a live vaccine they are using ...probably administer too high dose Shocked 
why cant you buy noblis ,colombovac,belgica de weerd,van der sluis ?????
all makers of the paramyxo virus vaccine and surely you cant import it
Back to top Go down
Joseph Vincent
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 12:26 pm

No one are able to import those product except the biggest club here. Small clubs can buy that live vaccine but I really don't know why do they just stick using a local brands. All I know is they don't want to spend much. Anyway, what more important to me is weak birds are out in my loft. Pmv is curable here but limited people knows how to treat those twisted necked birds.
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 12:30 pm

All I can say about this is if you don't vaccinate your birds you are MAD, you are taking precautions on not infecting your birds but all it will take is for another fancier not to vaccinate and carry the infection to your birds in the race crate.
If this happens and 1 of your birds bring PMV to our loft they will almost all die believe me.

I talk from first hand experience, years ago I always vaccinated, but I got caught out, although all my racers were vaccinated every year I had bred a few lates for stock purpose, every year I vaccinated the birds again just the racers.
Then one day I had a sick bird don't know where it came from but it was PMV, it killed nearly every un vaccinated pigeon in my loft about 4 were infected but didn't die but took 6 months to recover in a quarantine box very very nasty.

I learned a valuable lesson that year and I vaccinate everything now twice a year, youngsters are done at weaning and again just before racing.. the vaccine is so cheap its not worth it mate, you will have to destroy your whole loft if you get it.
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 12:31 pm

The twisted neck birds need special care to make sure they drink, they will eat fine as the PMV doesn't stop them wanting food and drink, but they will get better but it takes 6 months I know this because I had it once.
But If you ask me dispite the fact some recover I would say that PMV isn't really that curable as 8 out of 10 infected will definitely die, and the rest will be cured slowly.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 12:38 pm

I agree martyn vaccinate every bird every year all stock racers and ybs
your playing with fire otherwise ...I had a friend who sent 2 stock birds training and they got paramyxo in the training basket on return they went back into the stock section and infected the whole stock loft he had to cull most of the birds
he is sure to vaccinate now without fail...afterall it is a virus and is airborne and could strike your loft at anytime
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 2:20 pm

Yes that's all quite right oldstrain, I also read that its the most infectious of all diseases and stays active outside the pigeon for several weeks and that's scary.

It doesn't die like most infections once its left the body in the droppings, it will lay there waiting for the pigeon to spread it further, also the bird is infectious for 6 weeks even if it shows no signs and symptoms it will keep passing it on and again thats very scary.

If your not bothered about loosing all your pigeons don't vaccinate, if you are worried for the sake of about 20 quid do it and do it now.
Back to top Go down
kev d
Youngbird
Youngbird
kev d

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 3:49 pm

been reading this post its gone from cat litter to PMV. this idea about injecting twice for PMV its only my opinion but its total madness to inject yb 2x , there only babies and babies can,t take stress like that what with training racing and all the stress what comes with its says on the bottle once a year injection . you don,t get the children injected for measels twice or the flu jab twice so why mess with your pigeon but if it makes you happy then carry on , i know one person who wont be doing it but each to there own .
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 4:10 pm

Well Kev its great to hear your view on it and every one else views on it, Im sorry its hijacked the post a bit but that's how posts go sometimes they lead down other roads but I think that's good for the chat on the forum.

One thing I would say about doing them twice is it stimulates the immune system which is what is all about with YBS as they are just like kids and are building up the immune system as they go along.

Im sure I read somewhere that the PMV vaccine is not 100 percent effective and there fore the ones that it doesn't work for are then given a second jab.
As far as Im aware all one loft races ask you to vaccinate before sending them on to them, then they are done again and they have a tough time with all the different birds from all over the world mixed.
I know that the Europa one loft race one year had only very minimal sickness and they were all done twice and over 600 pigeons made it back from the final race.

I don't suffer from YB sickness at my loft and over the years I have always missed it, I think the Vaccine does help, and it doesn't seem to stress them out at all, I think being in the training crates and not schooling Ybs is more the cause of stresss and sickness.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 7:28 pm

I was talking to a vet about vaccinating twice and he said it gives the immune system a extra boost but has to be done 2 weeks after the first injection and no later than 3 weeks otherwise it does not work but wont harm them ...I only ever vaccinate once myself

yes the topic has gone a little off track but if its relevant to pigeons and a learning curve then its all good stuff Smile 
Back to top Go down
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird
birdy2011

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 7:44 pm

if a y/b cant survive in the year of its birth with one vacs injection then to me its weak giving a second injection within a few weeks aint helping them build up any immune system your just propping them up jmo
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 8:29 pm

yes once is enough for me never had a problem so why change it Smile 

anyway hows that sangria going down g lol
Back to top Go down
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird
birdy2011

PostSubject: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 8:34 pm

its not im home lol got back thursday bloody hot it was
Back to top Go down
Joseph Vincent
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 4:04 am

Good day my feathered friends! That's true! We need to vaccinate the ybs and I'm very much willing to use it if it is an imported one. If it is locally made then I'm not that interested. My loft has a flooring in order to see if their droppings are good. Not a grill type. I'm not a guy who knows a lot of meds to use and I'm not wasting my time to treat a bird. If it is a canker or just a wound created by the predators or caused by accident then it's not a big problem for me. About vaccine, I agree! Not all of them are working very well. Those vaccinated birds can also be infected if it has a respiratory problem. If just happens to have an imported vaccine here in my place, definitely I'll be the first guy in a line. That's for the racing team only.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 4:13 am

oldstrain wrote:

Different strokes for different folks O/S Smile Smile  may depend on the type of vaccine I suspect that people use etc. Here !!!!!! as an example all birds are done twice. In general terms at 4 weeks then 4 weeks later. Thou at the end of the day Wink Wink  the main thing thou is, that they get done period. cheers
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 8:27 am

Knackered wrote:
oldstrain wrote:

Different strokes for different folks O/S Smile Smile  may depend on the type of vaccine I suspect that people use etc. Here !!!!!! as an example all birds are done twice. In general terms at 4 weeks then 4 weeks later. Thou at the end of the day Wink Wink  the main thing thou is, that they get done period. cheers
is that a live vaccine traves
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 9:37 pm

oldstrain wrote:
Knackered wrote:
oldstrain wrote:

is that a live vaccine traves
Dead O/S Smile Smile  because of the quarantine restrictions here, we were not able to import a vaccine from overseas etc for our birds. So we all use a chicken vaccine (2 shots) that they use in the poultry industry & then a yearly boost for all the old birds type of thing. In a perfect world Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes  I would much prefer not to use anything I would have to say. "Sadly thou" Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad  I'm  affraid  that world is long gone in my view. cheers
Back to top Go down
Joseph Vincent
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 12:17 pm

November 20 will be the start of our training here! My team doesn't have any vaccine or anti-pmv but some of my friends have died birds due to sickness. So far, my birds are all in good condition. Let's see what happen in the truck. My last day of work will be on Dec.15 so I won't race my team. I hope if somebody will in charge to my post, I wished he had a passion of pigeons so he can make it better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PMV Vaccination.....?   PMV Vaccination.....? Empty

Back to top Go down

PMV Vaccination.....?
Page 1 of 1