Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Hours of Darkness ? Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 2:06 am

» come join us
Hours of Darkness ? Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:21 am

» Weather today
Hours of Darkness ? Emptyby David Yesterday at 9:45 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Hours of Darkness ? Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Hours of Darkness ? Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Hours of Darkness ? Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Hours of Darkness ? Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
Hours of Darkness ? Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
Hours of Darkness ? Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Hours of Darkness ? 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 27 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 26 Guests :: 1 Bot

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Hours of Darkness ? Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Hours of Darkness ? Vote_lcapHours of Darkness ? Voting_barHours of Darkness ? Vote_rcap 
David
Hours of Darkness ? Vote_lcapHours of Darkness ? Voting_barHours of Darkness ? Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222847 messages in 14006 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Hours of Darkness ? Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Hours of Darkness ? Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Hours of Darkness ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Hours of Darkness ? Empty
PostSubject: Hours of Darkness ?   Hours of Darkness ? EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 11:16 am

any members know what the hours of darkness and the hours of light should be for ybs on the dark system...?  ive been trying to decide which method to use, ie close loft at 5 pm, open at 9 am which will give 16 hrs of dark and 8 hours of day light OR close loft at 4 o clock then remove covers later that evening so the natural daybreak lightens the loft.....this would give 14 hours of dark and 10 hours of day light....

any thoughts, does it make any difference...?
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Hours of Darkness ?   Hours of Darkness ? EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 1:14 pm

As long as there's more dark hours than light (@10 hrs light was what mine got), and they think it's autumn they moult body.
David your second idea, remember the daylight will increase each day as the mornings lighten towards spring/summer, not sure how that will affect yb's. good luck anyway.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Hours of Darkness ?   Hours of Darkness ? EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 3:02 pm

hi colin, yes that's a good point re the daylight as it gets lighter earlier......wonder what, if any difference it would make....... scratch 
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: Hours of Darkness ?   Hours of Darkness ? EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 9:35 pm

David I have heard so much talk about hours of darkness each way is different, some say more than others but nothing is set in stone.

I darkened mine from 5pm till 8am 15 hours of darkness, doesn't matter how you adjust it do it to suit your self, I missed the dark a few times about 4 times I think when they didn't get it at all because we were away for the odd day doing other things and I couldn't get anyone to do it for me, and that didn't make ant difference.

Don't be a slave to your pigeons fit the hours in which best suits your life as long as its 14 /15 hours darkness a day.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Hours of Darkness ?   Hours of Darkness ? EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 9:42 pm

thanks for the info martyn, whats your thoughts on the closing at 4 and waiting till it gets dark and removing the covers.....then letting the natural daybreak enter the loft around 6 ish the next morning ?
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: Hours of Darkness ?   Hours of Darkness ? EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 10:22 pm

David its as I said do what you want it will work fine, you will have to keep adjusting it doing it that way, because the day get lighter in the morning by about 5 minutes a day up until a point, then they go back the other way.

So it might be light sun up at 6.40 tomorrow, but by june it will be light at 5.00 that's 1 1/2 hours difference so you might have to alter it by 10 or 15 minutes each month to keep it the same darkness hours.
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: Hours of Darkness ?   Hours of Darkness ? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 8:42 am

they would still get 12 hours a day 4 till dark in june`nesh it`s light till half ten to eleven as it comes daylight about 4 If you dont try you wont go no where.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Hours of Darkness ?   Hours of Darkness ? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 11:57 am

David wrote:
thanks for the info martyn, whats your thoughts on the closing at 4 and waiting till it gets dark and removing the covers.....then letting the natural daybreak enter the loft around 6 ish the next morning ?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Hours of Darkness ?   Hours of Darkness ? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 3:10 pm

Ginger wrote:
they would still get 12 hours a day 4 till dark in june`nesh it`s light till half ten to eleven as it comes daylight about 4 If you dont try you wont go no where.

true ginger, I suppose its all about trial and error eh, and finding which way works best us and the pigeons......... cheers 
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Hours of Darkness ?   Hours of Darkness ? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 3:12 pm

oldstrain wrote:
David wrote:

thanks for the opinion Darren.........I don't suppose it will make much difference either way, but might make it a bit easier to manage, and possibly make the pigeons exercise better ???
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Hours of Darkness ?   Hours of Darkness ? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 6:47 pm

David wrote:
oldstrain wrote:
David wrote:

thanks for the opinion Darren.........I don't suppose it will make much difference either way, but might make it a bit easier to manage, and possibly make the pigeons exercise better  ???

I think by doing this and exercising the ybs early hours and feeding once per day you are putting the birds under the least stress given the circumstances of forcing them to mature early and have found young hens cope with the system better than cocks ...but then the hens are the cream of the crop anyway  queen ...good luck in your endeavours
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Hours of Darkness ?   Hours of Darkness ? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 8:55 pm

yes, I think you could be right about that Darren, early exercise then the feed once a day....then they have all day to digest the food, I would think this would minimise the stress and not put too much strain on the digestive system maybe .....?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hours of Darkness ?   Hours of Darkness ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Hours of Darkness ?
Page 1 of 1