Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
are my birds sick? Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 2:06 am

» come join us
are my birds sick? Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:21 am

» Weather today
are my birds sick? Emptyby David Yesterday at 9:45 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
are my birds sick? Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
are my birds sick? Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
are my birds sick? Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
are my birds sick? Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
are my birds sick? Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
are my birds sick? Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) are my birds sick? 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 29 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 29 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.are my birds sick? Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
are my birds sick? Vote_lcapare my birds sick? Voting_barare my birds sick? Vote_rcap 
David
are my birds sick? Vote_lcapare my birds sick? Voting_barare my birds sick? Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222847 messages in 14006 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
are my birds sick? Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
are my birds sick? Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

are my birds sick?

Go down 
+5
Don Webb
David
Rudderfett
IANYOUNG
geordiejen
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
geordiejen
Hatchling
Hatchling
geordiejen

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 8:31 pm

hi their i have been looking through lots of sites on pigeon disease and canot find out why my birds droppings are like this.i have noticed this since sunday and have been treating for coccidiosis.all birds are still the same with wet droppings much higher intake of water no signs of sickness ie blown feathers,neck torsions joint swelling.dont think its coccidiosis now either.birds are laal feeding ok as well.thinking of just giving them probiotics,tonics and brewers yeast.[img]are my birds sick? P3060017[/img][img]are my birds sick? P3060018[/img][img]are my birds sick? P3060019[/img]
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 8:41 pm

hi mate dont know what the problem is but i know what will dry it up a product called protrill its natural product and will iam certain sort them out
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 8:55 pm

Very Happy Ian some of the droppings from second picture dont look that bad, in fact apart from the waterness of them the colour seems ok, have you recently changed corn or given them something different, also have they had a bath outside of been on the lawn. Sometimes droppings will go like that for a day or 2 then go back normal after its passed...they are not deep green which would be a real problem.
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 8:58 pm

sorry not second pic 3rd. seem ok.
Back to top Go down
geordiejen
Hatchling
Hatchling
geordiejen

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:28 pm

the bird in the 3rd pic is now back to normal.i got a bird on loan for breeding.it was getting its own food and water but their was some birds in different boxes.most of them have became the same way.they also seem to be gorging on black minerals and a mix of grit and seashells.if they were coming down with something i have various antibiotics i have metronizadole spartrex baytril and ornicure.also nifurimycin but i gave one of the birds some metronizadole and it vomited so i dont think any antibiotics is the answer.will keep them on coxoid until tomorrow and if no change then im going for probiotics and johnsons pigeon tonics.
Back to top Go down
geordiejen
Hatchling
Hatchling
geordiejen

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:32 pm

do you think that all the drinking is causing lost salt in the birds system?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:37 pm

are they feeding ybs....? sometimes when feeding they gorge on two much grit and the droppings go watery, if it continues id have them tested as treating blind is dangerous.........also the use of baytril is a last resort. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
geordiejen
Hatchling
Hatchling
geordiejen

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:43 pm

i will take them off the treatment of coxoid tomorrow and take a sample over to the vet.never had this before so its a mystery to me.i am hand rearing a youngster who also needs lots of water but is alive and very churpie.this i find baffling as they are normally the first to go.could it be worms?
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:56 pm

Very Happy yes david is right my birds will gorge on grit, but i dont let them they get a pinch then instead, If you have been feeding sea shells you say watch out that could be it, give them things in moderation. Try that first antibiotics no no..try simple things first, just corn and water no minerals or grit for a few days see what happens then slowly start giving them back things one at a time.
Back to top Go down
geordiejen
Hatchling
Hatchling
geordiejen

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 10:04 pm

just checked on them and the black mineral is running straight through them,the shit is now black.only one pair wereraising a youngster and took the young yin away.as i said the youngster is ok so need some kind of natural substance to clear it.do you agree that its not coccidiosis.only relative symptom is high water intake,no going off feed or blood in the fecies.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 11:49 pm

Get a salt block in there the salt will harden the droppings
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:41 am

hopefully its just too much minerals/grit mate best of luck with birds
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 3:41 pm

i was led to believe that when treating for illness with antibiotics etc to never give them grit while being treated.......then after the recommended period of treatment to give a course of vitamins.... santa
Back to top Go down
steve b
Hatchling
Hatchling
steve b

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 5:29 pm

[quote="DAVID"]i was led to believe that when treating for illness with antibiotics etc to never give them grit while being treated.......then after the recommended period of treatment to give a course of vitamins.... santa[/-

whilst treating with any meds i remove all grit/minerals while birds are on the treatment. i was told years ago it absorbs some meds so just remove altogether if i treat for anything.
might be best to get them tested for worms canker etc before you start treating with antibiotics
jmo steve
Back to top Go down
geordiejen
Hatchling
Hatchling
geordiejen

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:26 pm

cheers.i gave them the minerals last night.not going to treat them with anything as they are not acting sick.will leave it to friday and see how they are then.do you know how many days it takes to check out the fecies if i take a sample to the vet?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 8:09 pm

are you planning on going to a local vets.....? yours might be clued up on pigeons as some are, but personnally ive found that normal vets dont know anything about pigeons and are reluctant to treat them...........

there are these where you can post the sample off who advertise in the weeklys and i dont think it takes very long for results to come back....... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 8:33 pm

i think your pigeon is just stressed to sort it out i would give them protril what i sugested earlier this iam sure will sort birds out no need for antibiotics , this is a natural product and wont harm your pigeons in any way try it what you got to lose
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 8:35 pm

are you still an agent for protril ian..........? lol! lol! lol!

no only joking, but what is it.........ive never heard of it scratch
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 8:37 pm

Water soluble forumlation with antibacterial properties for severe wet droppings and dehydration. Protril works by reducing the PH level in the gut through proliferation of bacteria which produce lactic acid and helps to provide the extra energy required by pigeons to overcome such stressful disorders as bacteria and viral problems. Can be used in conjuction with Coxedex. Dosage - Add 10g per 1ltr of water or 1kg of feed for 7-10 days then as required.
hope this helps
Back to top Go down
geordiejen
Hatchling
Hatchling
geordiejen

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 9:37 pm

i have been advised on another site to give the coxoid for at least one week as it takes time to work.now one of the birds are looking back to normal,will give them that for a week and then built them back up with probiotics.ian i will ask my local pigeon shop to order some of that stuff for the birds.
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 9:53 pm

they should have it in stock
Back to top Go down
geordiejen
Hatchling
Hatchling
geordiejen

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 9:39 pm

took some samples over to the vet today.couple of the birds that were normal are coming down with it.noticed the green is a bit darker so i aint got a clue.the only good thing is none of the birds are lookig sick.
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 9:44 pm

hope everything turns out ok mate
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 9:50 pm

so has any desease been confirmed with the birds geordiejen? or are you treating on advise given on the symptums you described ? what did the vet say, did he test droppings.....?
Back to top Go down
geordiejen
Hatchling
Hatchling
geordiejen

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:21 pm

vet aint got a clue.they are only interested in cats and dogs mate.the samples are getting sent off to the vet school in glasgow to be checked.still treating for coccidiosis but havent had a breakout of this before.its contagious but seems to be contained to six birds which were in breeding boxes and the main loft is clean.been steeping my boots in jeyes fluid before i enter the main loft to keep it contained.their is 20 squeekers in the main loft and are all fine.watched a wee video about coccidiosis and if it is that then the birds wont be getting out until it clears.when it dries up im going to blow torch all the pens.the only problem is i usually pen up the youngsters in these pens to make sure of now weaning problems,they get vaccine against pmv,wormed and cankered before they go down to the young bird loft.moving birds around is a big no-no at the moment.dont even know if using bleach or jeyes fluid will make any difference.its a real pain in the arse not being able to move into loft sections in case of spreading it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

are my birds sick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? Empty

Back to top Go down

are my birds sick?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next