Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
loft ventilation - Page 3 Emptyby David Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» Good Morning
loft ventilation - Page 3 Emptyby David Yesterday at 2:48 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
loft ventilation - Page 3 Emptyby David Yesterday at 1:35 pm

» APHA Forms .......
loft ventilation - Page 3 Emptyby David Fri May 17, 2024 11:38 am

» come join us
loft ventilation - Page 3 Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
loft ventilation - Page 3 Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
loft ventilation - Page 3 Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
loft ventilation - Page 3 Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
loft ventilation - Page 3 Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) loft ventilation - Page 3 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 23 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 23 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.loft ventilation - Page 3 Resise10
Top posting users this week
No user
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 222884 messages in 14007 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
loft ventilation - Page 3 Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
loft ventilation - Page 3 Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
loft ventilation - Page 3 Vote_lcaploft ventilation - Page 3 Voting_barloft ventilation - Page 3 Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
loft ventilation - Page 3 Vote_lcaploft ventilation - Page 3 Voting_barloft ventilation - Page 3 Vote_rcap 
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

loft ventilation

Go down 
+10
cowandchicken
Knackered
oldstrain
peel bros
Rudderfett
Lightning
David
IANYOUNG
Don Webb
steve1952
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

loft ventilation - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: loft ventilation   loft ventilation - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 18, 2017 8:07 pm

oldstrain wrote:
Knackered wrote:
oldstrain wrote:
feck me this is years old that lofts gone now Laughing
lol! lol! lol! Maybe so Smile Smile relevant/irelevant Wink Wink just remember though O/S bounce bounce I was on the look out etc Wink Wink for a little brown bottle as such. cheers

come on oz spill the beans what ya looking for Suspect
lol! lol! lol! Not going to be that easy O/S Smile Smile I've learnt some thing here from our mate in froggy land "The devious one" lol! lol! lol! our Phil, on how the game is played etc. So for a bit of fun you just tell me Wink Wink or any one else, what it may just be  Wink  Wink. Just keep in mind thou  my currant prediciment here & I tend to be a bit of a cheap skate some what when buying things/goodies. cheers
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

PostSubject: Re: loft ventilation   loft ventilation - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 7:41 pm

I know this is an old topic, but maybe some newbie like myself is experimental wiwith the newness.
I couldn't economically get my hands on old tile roofing, so I used scrap metal. The roof is vented similarly to how our home roofs are vented, save for the open attic. I had to play with the bottom vents to get perfect airflow. I'm replacing a couple sheets of metal roof for greenhouse plastic. Tearing out the square flat bottom box perches. (Too hard to scrape when frozen).
loft ventilation - Page 3 12311711
loft ventilation - Page 3 12311712
loft ventilation - Page 3 12311712
loft ventilation - Page 3 12311713
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: loft ventilation   loft ventilation - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 8:23 pm

Just done something like Don said in my loft its 24 ft long x 6ft deep four sections 6x6x8ft front and 7ft at the back each section has two vents 8 inches off the floor at the front and a 2ich gap at the top front and rear always damp in their this time of the year unless a strong wind blowing or in the summer this week placed a 3/8 piece of ply over them spaced off half an inch to slow the air down and no more damp on the floor next job is to place a 2ft x 6 ft board on the ceiling in front of the boxes so the air does not pass up the front of the boxes but two foot in front of them and over the top could never get my head round this as to what is ventilation and what's a draft reading an article on ventilation and the author wrote if you were standing out side a shop and the wind was blowing you are in a draft but stand in a shop door way with a entrance and the wind blows pas you without touching you then its ventilation the penny dropped then ventilation with out a draft
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: loft ventilation   loft ventilation - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 8:41 pm

ive seen quite a few different set ups for ventilation, if you watch the Geoff and Catherine cooper video their ventilation is very different from the normal type, they have only a one inch gap above their traps, and air going out through the ridge tiles on the apex roof.......I have a 2 inch gap front and back on my loft just below the roof, and vents approx. 6 inch from the floor in the doors.

I also got advise by ken/friendslofts a few years ago a good way of making this better, it was to have a box raised up in the roof, in each section, with wire sides which would pull the air through better.

fast forward to around 7.15 to see the lofts.

Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: loft ventilation   loft ventilation - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 9:21 pm

Just my view, but I wouldn't want an abundance of cold air directly above the pigeons perches or nest boxes which can drop down directly in front of them, especially overnight when temps plummet. Not being familiar with your climate I can't say what's best for you but I had apex roof with a fully wired ceiling and it was a cold loft I found. I tried sky lights trying to get sun in but a fellow fancier advised me it was wrongly ventilated, that was why I couldn't get consistent condition in the birds.
I ended up covering nearly all the mesh with thin ply leaving just a 6" gap at the front furthest away from boxes and the pigeons held the form much better. I had no vents anywhere else like front floor level louvres just a decent overhang back and front with a couple inch gap for air flow. No draughts even when the wind was howling. I don't think anyone really gets the ventilation how they want it from the off, always a bit tinkering, trial and error and doing plenty research.
The biggest indicator that I had it right was plenty down feathers every time entering the loft (I never saw many down feathers with an open mesh ceiling ) and of course snow white wattles and eye ceres!
Please don't think I'm criticising your arrangement for ventilation, far from it, just adding my twopeneth to maybe help you get things how you need it in your own area and climate. Like Mark mentioned, draughts are no good in the loft. Very Best wishes I can tell you are keen to learn and do the best for your own birds.
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

PostSubject: Re: loft ventilation   loft ventilation - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 9:51 pm

barnie wrote:
Just my view, but I wouldn't want an abundance of cold air directly above the pigeons perches or nest boxes which can drop down directly in front of them, especially overnight when temps plummet. Not being familiar with your climate I can't say what's best for you but I had apex roof with a fully wired ceiling and it was a cold loft I found. I tried sky lights trying to get sun in but a fellow fancier advised me it was wrongly ventilated, that was why I couldn't get consistent condition in the birds.
I ended up covering nearly all the mesh with thin ply leaving just a 6" gap at the front furthest away from boxes and the pigeons held the form much better. I had no vents anywhere else like front floor level louvres just a decent overhang back and front with a couple inch gap for air flow. No draughts even when the wind was howling. I don't think anyone really gets the ventilation how they want it from the off, always a bit tinkering, trial and error and doing plenty research.
The biggest indicator that I had it right was plenty down feathers every time entering the loft (I never saw many down feathers with an open mesh ceiling ) and of course snow white wattles and eye ceres!
Please don't think I'm criticising your arrangement for ventilation, far from it, just adding my twopeneth to maybe help you get things how you need it in your own area and climate. Like Mark mentioned, draughts are no good in the loft. Very Best wishes I can tell you are keen to learn and do the best for your own birds.

No offense taken. I appreciate the feed back actually. Everything is optional, I haven't even painted the outside, as I knew it would be a learning experience. The blue fabric that sits above the perches was too slow the air falling. When I smoke bombed the loft after, it actually allowed the smoke to vent slowly but consistently. I'm going to build another loft that is 10 by 16 feet long. I'll be building a small deck onto the front of lofts. I am wiring the lofts, but don't want mechanical ventilation.
I do have a way to shut the aviaries at night. I've noticed the lift stays 10 degrees warmer than ambient temp
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: loft ventilation   loft ventilation - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 01, 2018 3:20 am

Romedius wrote:
barnie wrote:

No offense taken.  I appreciate the feed back actually.  Everything is optional, I haven't even painted the outside, as I knew it would be a learning experience.  The blue fabric that sits above the perches was too slow the air falling.  When I smoke bombed the loft after, it actually allowed the smoke to vent slowly but consistently.  I'm going to build another loft that is 10 by 16 feet long.  I'll be building a small deck onto the front of lofts.  I am wiring the lofts, but don't want mechanical ventilation.
I do have a way to shut the aviaries at night.  I've noticed the lift stays 10 degrees warmer than ambient temp
No sense me talking lofts Rom Smile Smile I'm that far removed from your situation it's in the ridiculous range etc Wink Wink. Will say thou, watch the humidity factor in your lofts & if possible try to keep it at arounf the 65 degree mark as such.  cheers
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

PostSubject: Re: loft ventilation   loft ventilation - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 01, 2018 5:19 am

I would love to keep it around the sixty degree mark. No chance in winter, now early spring and summer? Yes, at least it worked this year/ with a little tinkering Idea
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: loft ventilation   loft ventilation - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

loft ventilation
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3