Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
What to do when birds have been away for a long time Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:13 am

» Good Morning
What to do when birds have been away for a long time Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:12 am

» come join us
What to do when birds have been away for a long time Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
What to do when birds have been away for a long time Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
What to do when birds have been away for a long time Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
What to do when birds have been away for a long time Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
What to do when birds have been away for a long time Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
What to do when birds have been away for a long time Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
What to do when birds have been away for a long time Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) What to do when birds have been away for a long time 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 30 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 29 Guests :: 1 Bot

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.What to do when birds have been away for a long time Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
What to do when birds have been away for a long time Vote_lcapWhat to do when birds have been away for a long time Voting_barWhat to do when birds have been away for a long time Vote_rcap 
David
What to do when birds have been away for a long time Vote_lcapWhat to do when birds have been away for a long time Voting_barWhat to do when birds have been away for a long time Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222849 messages in 14006 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
What to do when birds have been away for a long time Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
What to do when birds have been away for a long time Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

What to do when birds have been away for a long time

Go down 
+4
edgie
oldstrain
Knackered
blueskylofts
8 posters
AuthorMessage
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

What to do when birds have been away for a long time Empty
PostSubject: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyWed Jun 15, 2016 6:29 am

Leading on from Ray's post called "Unbelievable" and my little added comment:-

What advice would members give regarding birds that have spent nights out, got lost or have been away from the loft for a time. As in Ray and my cases?

What food to give immediately when they arrive home and for how long?

Any meds?

Any treatments? Etc etc?

Cheers everyone.

Phil (blueskylofts)
Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyWed Jun 15, 2016 6:56 am

blueskylofts wrote:
Leading on from Ray's post called "Unbelievable" and my little added comment:-

What advice would members give regarding birds that have spent nights out, got lost or have been away from the loft for a time.  As in Ray and my cases?

What food to give immediately when they arrive home and for how long?

Any meds?

Any treatments?  Etc etc?

Cheers everyone.

Phil (blueskylofts)

Meds forget it, treatments Smile Smile forget it etc here Phil. Warmth, rest & normal feed in abundance for them to choose as required on their own in some little corner with water & grit. I've found if pigeons have the right life
style/pedigree they will soon pick up & if they don't, it's heaven time Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes one could say Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyWed Jun 15, 2016 8:26 am

let the bird settle for a few days ...I use ropa b and would give that double dose for 5 days its a prebiotic but no meds would be given it don't sound like its been in another loft ,each case of a returning bird would be reviewed as to its condition and time away I don't think a cocci and canker treatment does much harm in these cases atb
Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyWed Jun 15, 2016 1:34 pm

if its gone wrong twice bin it, as it will do it again, and again
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyWed Jun 15, 2016 4:09 pm

oldstrain wrote:
let the bird settle for a few days ...I use ropa b and would give that double dose for 5 days its a prebiotic but no meds would be given it don't sound like its been in another loft ,each case of a returning bird would be reviewed as to its condition and time away I don't think a cocci and canker treatment does much harm in these cases atb

Thanks for the advice - I have ordered some Ropa B. I spoke to Graham this morning and he is going to rush me some.

Cheers
Phil
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyWed Jun 15, 2016 4:37 pm

yes phil, they are usually pretty good delivery wise......ive ordered in the morning and paid over the phone, and its been delivered the next day.

you will get a syringe with it, which fits into a hole at the top of the bottle, the dose is 1.5 ml per litre for normal routine treatment, but like Darren says it may be wise to double dose them at 3ml per litre for a few days or so.
Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyWed Jun 15, 2016 5:54 pm

If the bird had lost a lot of weight I will give it dioralite for a couple of days to bring its body round quickly.
I also use it after a hard or long race.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyWed Jun 15, 2016 6:31 pm

Boosey wrote:
If the bird had lost a lot of weight I will give it dioralite for a couple of days to bring its body round quickly.
I also use it after a hard or long race.

good stuff ...belgasol is too
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyWed Jun 15, 2016 10:40 pm

Take the bird out the loft place in a basket or in a section on its own, give it a light feed for a few days and a honey and water solution which you can us a shringe to administrate it into the pigeon

After a few days the pigeon should start to pick up
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyWed Jun 15, 2016 10:51 pm

edgie wrote:
if its gone wrong twice bin it, as it will do it again, and again

Would also agree
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyThu Jun 16, 2016 5:08 am

Thank you to everyone for the advice given.

The bird is picking up a bit now in its'self and looking as bit more perky.

Phil
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyThu Jun 16, 2016 7:17 am

blueskylofts wrote:
oldstrain wrote:

Thanks for the advice - I have ordered some Ropa B.  I spoke to Graham this morning and he is going to rush me some.

Cheers
Phil

May I put foreward Phil Smile Smile I had a seniors moment above  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes with my wisdom ??? etc lol! lol! lol! as there is something I use 24/7/52 that I just plainly forgot about sadly, as I just regard it as normal both for myself & my birds. I'm a Colloidal silver tragic "25 years" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes & every one here lol! lol! can see what it's done to me Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyThu Jun 16, 2016 8:05 am

Knackered wrote:
blueskylofts wrote:
oldstrain wrote:

Thanks for the advice - I have ordered some Ropa B.  I spoke to Graham this morning and he is going to rush me some.

Cheers
Phil

May I put foreward Phil Smile Smile I had a seniors moment above  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes with my wisdom ??? etc lol! lol! lol! as there is something I use 24/7/52 that I just plainly forgot about sadly, as I just regard it as normal both for myself & my birds. I'm a Colloidal silver tragic "25 years" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes & every one here lol! lol! can see what it's done to me Wink Wink. cheers

Hi there

I don't mean to be rude but I had absolutely no idea what you were talking about when you mentioned colloidal silver!

However, I have just Googled it and it sounds deadly to me. Why do you use it? Do you have any of the following ailments?
'Colloidal silver is used to treat infections due to yeast; bacteria (tuberculosis, Lyme disease, bubonic plague, pneumonia, leprosy, gonorrhea, syphilis, scarlet fever, stomach ulcers, cholera); parasites (ringworm, malaria); and viruses (HIV/AIDS, pneumonia, herpes, shingles, warts).'

Apparently according to WebMD it is a very dangerous substance to use especially long term.

Furthermore, I have absolutely no idea why you mentioned this when answering a posting I put up regarding how I can help my young bird/s if they have spent a few nights out.

In my experiences before I restarted this year, I have found it is very common for young birds to spend a few nights out - ask any fancier. So therefore I thought it was a legitimate question, as I wasn't sure what to do for this particular young bird that had obviously had a very traumatic experience.

Perhaps you can enlighten me.
Phil
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyThu Jun 16, 2016 8:18 am

It all depends on the bird.if it has done anything it will next a perch .if not then it's gone.we cannot afford ,only being honest here, to keep any more prisoners. I know it's my own fault with having a lot but it's what we have to do.but saying that if the birds been rubbish over a period of time say.the same applies. There's nobody softer than me for giving g birds a chance but there has to be a limit at the end of the day...
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyThu Jun 16, 2016 8:25 am

peel bros wrote:
It all depends on the bird.if it has done anything it will next a perch .if not then it's gone.we cannot afford ,only being honest here, to keep any more prisoners. I know it's my own fault with having a lot but it's what we have to do.but saying that if the birds been rubbish over a period of time say.the same applies. There's nobody softer than me for giving g birds a chance but there has to be a limit at the end of the day...

I agree 100% Ray - I am not the kind of person that keeps pigeons for fun only. To me the are 'Working animals' and as such, have to earn their place in my loft. But I was talking about young birds that have only been flying out a few times and as another member said - sometime a few night out can be the making of a bird!

I would rather have 15 good birds than 30 rubbish ones. As you say - corn is too expensive to waste.

Thanks for the input.
Phil
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyThu Jun 16, 2016 8:57 am

Ybs I always give chances to.if possible all my ybs that's left get raced as yearlings regardless. This only one or two missed out as I had no room.ybs are always learning
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyThu Jun 16, 2016 10:33 am

blueskylofts wrote:
Knackered wrote:
blueskylofts wrote:
oldstrain wrote:

Cheers
Phil

Hi there

I don't mean to be rude but I had absolutely no idea what you were talking about when you mentioned colloidal silver!

However, I have just Googled it and it sounds deadly to me.  Why do you use it?  Do you have any of the following ailments?
'Colloidal silver is used to treat infections due to yeast; bacteria (tuberculosis, Lyme disease, bubonic plague, pneumonia, leprosy, gonorrhea, syphilis, scarlet fever, stomach ulcers, cholera); parasites (ringworm, malaria); and viruses (HIV/AIDS, pneumonia, herpes, shingles, warts).'

Apparently according to WebMD it is a very dangerous substance to use especially long term.

Furthermore, I have absolutely no idea why you mentioned this when answering a posting I put up regarding how I can help my young bird/s if they have spent a few nights out.

In my experiences before I restarted this year, I have found it is very common for young birds to spend a few nights out - ask any fancier.  So therefore I thought it was a legitimate question, as I wasn't sure what to do for this particular young bird that had obviously had a very traumatic experience.

Perhaps you can enlighten me.
Phil

One could say Phil Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes lol! lol! lol! I have all the above Smile Smile that's why I use it etc Wink Wink. Not one that tends to waffle on as such bounce bounce Smile Smile but I would suggest you do a bit more reading about Colloidal silver & it's benefits & as final note, I was using it long before Bilco started singing it's praise as an example on the internet for his birds.
Now !!! Smile Smile forget about the blue scenario if you become some what concerned, as I place that in the total rubbish bin Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyThu Jun 16, 2016 12:29 pm

Knackered wrote:
blueskylofts wrote:
oldstrain wrote:

Cheers
Phil

do you make it yourself oz
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyThu Jun 16, 2016 11:44 pm

oldstrain wrote:
Knackered wrote:
blueskylofts wrote:
oldstrain wrote:

Cheers
Phil

do you make it yourself oz

At 35/40 dollars a bottle here O/S Smile Smile at the spin doctors etc lol! lol! lol! what do you think  Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 9:38 am

Also if pigeons have been away a long time or in a holdover I give them condis crystals in the water for a day to cleanse them.
I also have it in the drinkers on return from every race as a precaution.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 10:27 am

Boosey wrote:
Also if pigeons have been away a long time or in a holdover I give them condis crystals in the water for a day to cleanse them.
I also have it in the drinkers on return from every race as a precaution.

lol!lol!lol! Another big spender Smile Smile just how do you expect the spin doctors Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Boosey to turn a profit etc. Next you will be telling me your a Bi-Carb Soda fan Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptySat Jun 18, 2016 9:37 am

I think going light tablets are basically bi-carb arnt they knackered...?
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time EmptySat Jun 18, 2016 10:38 am

David wrote:
I think going light tablets are basically bi-carb arnt they knackered...?

You could be right David etc Smile Smile but no such thing down here as such. All I know is birds in general like drinking Bi carb soda, so that tells me they must know some thing Wink Wink & I place it the cheap, cheap tonic class & I have used it longer than I can remember with no complaints. It also was one of Levi's favourite tonics Smile Smile & I always regarded him as one of those types bounce bounce that knew absolutely nothing lol! lol! lol! in relation to keeping pigeons Wink Wink with his little flock "20,000 odd"  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes .  cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to do when birds have been away for a long time   What to do when birds have been away for a long time Empty

Back to top Go down

What to do when birds have been away for a long time
Page 1 of 1