Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Open loft thoughts Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:35 am

» Scandalous .......
Open loft thoughts Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
Open loft thoughts Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
Open loft thoughts Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Open loft thoughts Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Open loft thoughts Emptyby David Yesterday at 12:38 pm

» Good Morning
Open loft thoughts Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 11:19 am

» Morgan's new job
Open loft thoughts Emptyby Knackered Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:43 pm

» Another find
Open loft thoughts Emptyby David Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:14 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Open loft thoughts 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 98 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 98 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Open loft thoughts Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Open loft thoughts Vote_lcapOpen loft thoughts Voting_barOpen loft thoughts Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Open loft thoughts Vote_lcapOpen loft thoughts Voting_barOpen loft thoughts Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222577 messages in 14000 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Open loft thoughts Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Open loft thoughts Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Open loft thoughts

Go down 
+8
merrylegs
blueskylofts
cowandchicken
halcanada
redrog
David
oldstrain
chris perry
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
chris perry
Hatchling
Hatchling
chris perry

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyThu May 04, 2017 4:06 pm

At the moment I have 20 young birds flying really well, as I am home all day I was wondering about letting the birds have an open loft, I have been toying with the idea letting them out around 3 in the afternoon, they fly for around twenty minutes too half an hour, then drop on the shed for 10 minutes or so and have another go, with regards to getting them in it hasn't been a problem on the can shake,

Would I be opening a can of worms come July when I come to race them ???
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyThu May 04, 2017 4:46 pm

just my thoughts but I like control with the ybs old birds different story I would stick to a schedule jmo...have the ybs gone ranging yet chris
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyThu May 04, 2017 4:49 pm

I think I agree with Darren, chris.....old birds on open loft are different to ybs on open loft, and I think it could cause problems trapping when racing etc.....JMO
Back to top Go down
chris perry
Hatchling
Hatchling
chris perry

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyThu May 04, 2017 4:56 pm

oldstrain wrote:
just my thoughts but I like control with the ybs old birds different story I would stick to a schedule jmo...have the ybs gone ranging yet chris

No Darren still flying around housing estate
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyThu May 04, 2017 5:00 pm

keep letting them out at a scheduled time and don't overfeed um 1 lazy yb can pull the lot down ,be in control through their bellys else you will end up with a load of roofhoppers try just letting them out once a day they may fly better atb chris
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyThu May 04, 2017 5:31 pm

ive always found letting ybs out early morning encourages them to range......later in the day they seem to stay local, plus if they do range when exercising later in the day, they sometimes don't get time to get home before it starts coming dark, if they range early morning at least they have got all day to find their way home....
Back to top Go down
redrog
Youngbird
Youngbird
redrog

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyThu May 04, 2017 5:39 pm

paying the price for this last year and this year, bad habbits all my fault, will never do again. up to you chris just what has happened to me and have learnt the hard way, I regularly loose on the trap.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyFri May 05, 2017 4:46 am

Redrog. It is a depends question. I have always gave my young open loft early season. When circumstances permit. They are roaming and ranging for quite a while. However when the training period starts then one has to control them. Usually by feed or lack thereof. If your old birds are not trapping then they are not motivated to enter the loft, obviously. Or distance too short sometimes. But not motivated is usually the cause.
Back to top Go down
redrog
Youngbird
Youngbird
redrog

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyFri May 05, 2017 12:03 pm

agree hal but all our club racing is 200miles max before we go over water, motivation is important but I believe good habits from start will greatly help when birds get down the line a bit, one turn round my loft is 20secs that is difference between 1st and 3rd. all my y/b fly to the tin so feeding and control is all I've got, plus I am forever watching for the inevitable hawk attack. if i'm honest i'm glad when y/b are finished it's become heart breaking round here
Back to top Go down
cowandchicken
Hatchling
Hatchling

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyMon May 08, 2017 8:37 am

I have done this a few years ago. Used to open loft in the morning and go to work all day. What I did notice was after 1 or 2 hawk strikes the birds became very street wise and very rare they got hit again. Cats were more of a problem. You never know what the birds are picking up out of gutters and other places which gave loose droppings or made them sick at times. By the time they were yearlings they were hard as nails and many people asked how I got them in such good condition. when told I leave them out all day most thought I was joking. Its a system I found that suits natural flying best for channel racing.
Back to top Go down
chris perry
Hatchling
Hatchling
chris perry

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyMon May 08, 2017 9:27 am

Alot of mixed view, good and bad,
Flying natural I thought it was a good idea, but when you add the gutter hunting it gives a whole new view,
Spose I will just have to pass on this one, my birds if I do say so myself are oil paintings to look at and there droppings are sound, so best to keep control of what I have achieved, and fly them twice a day to keep them fit and as soon as they drop get them in unless its bath time

Thanks guys and girls
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyMon May 08, 2017 7:28 pm

Mine are basically open loft. No gutters here. They do go down in the fields etc,. They look good to me.
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyTue May 09, 2017 8:58 am

We used to fly natural when we raced back in the UK.

But natural does not mean the birds can please themselves what they do.

I am on the side of keeping them to a time schedule - regular time to let them out and regular time to bring them in. In that way the birds know what is expected of them.

I have found that racing pigeons do best if they have a fixed routine - day in and day out. That doesn't mean you can't change the routine now and again. You can, but not too often.

ATB
Phil
Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyTue May 09, 2017 9:28 am

I think open loft is great for old birds before the season starts, to get them fitter, and maybe if they are raced natural open loft would be good.......if racing widowhood or roundabout I don't think it would be.

as for young birds I dare say it would make them very fit and healthy, but for ybs I think you need more control over them for when racing starts, as I would see problems with trapping.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyTue May 09, 2017 9:32 am

where hal lives for example a open loft would have its benefits but in a built up area in this day and age with raptor problems and modern living I don't think it is ideal and as c&c has said it suits distance racing best
Back to top Go down
merrylegs
Chipping
Chipping

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyMon Jul 02, 2018 7:59 pm

I am just training young birds to use the landing board and bob wires. I was thinking of letting them out in the morning and letting them come in when they wanted . I dont race , i am going to do Dove release . I wondered what you think would be the best way. I live on a council estate , so lots of gutters .
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyTue Jul 03, 2018 1:35 am

merrylegs wrote:
I am just training young birds to use the landing board and bob wires. I was thinking of letting them out in the morning and letting them come in when they wanted . I dont race , i am going to do Dove release . I wondered what you think would be the best way. I live on a council estate , so lots of gutters .
Racing, maybe not Merrylegs Smile Smile Your Dove release scenario thou, all ok your way from my perspective etc. Paranoia I suggest Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes hits certain type people in this caper of ours I'm affraid when they continue to think what if Wink Wink I do this or do that type of thing Smile Smile when the crux of the matter is just to have strong healthy birds & 99% of the time they will cope ok I've found. cheers
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyTue Jul 03, 2018 8:25 am

I reckon you'd be best keeping them under control, fly them out and get them in. I'm assuming they are white? they'll stand out if they're up on the rooftops like targets (some kids round here would be lobbing stones at them) and you'll be blamed for all sorts including crap on washing even if it's not your birds that are guilty.
Maybe put your time into training the from all points of compass because if you do weddings then they're not going to be in any straight line but scattered all over.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyTue Jul 03, 2018 9:40 am

I feel that many fanciers do not actually have a basic system but a mixture of what they hear and read about and if Jack is winning and says he is using X they try X etc.

As far as I am concerned the natural system involves the pigeons having as near a natural life as possible.

Completely open loft 24 hours a day, young and old together, the young weaned when the parents decided and not me ( taking young away to suit the fancier I have said for over 50years is detrimental to the young birds well being).

The young go out when they feel able and I lost none in settling them, they settled themselves when they saw fit.

They were never hungry but knew when the food would be available. all I had to do was give them a stable safe home and a desire not to be away for too long.

As many fanciers around could tell you my birds were flying for hours around the loft all day long, at times of the year young and old together.

As for trapping from races, I never had a problem and the pigeons were hand tame brought about by pea nut treats.

When a family of pigeons are given complete freedom then they know what is good and what is bad regarding what is in the garden etc; and very rarely bothered with the roof etc;

I had no ill pigeons for many years other than the odd one going light and I could take them, wash their feet and win in the shows'

The did all I asked of them at racing and I would not have kept them in any other way.

The only additives to their basic feed which thy had every day of the year was garlic in the water every day and lime and sand deep litter, lime was also dusted onto the perches when they were cleaned.

Actual experience beats theory every time.

I do agree that it would be impossible for many fanciers to adopt what I did for many reasons, but if you use the natural system you have to USE THE NATURAL SYSTEM and not part of etc;

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
merrylegs
Chipping
Chipping

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyTue Jul 03, 2018 9:44 pm

Thanks guys , i must say i do like the idea of the natural way , as my stock loft with aviary they seem very chilled out . They are white so worry that they are easier prey . The young birds happy enough but just like to do what is best for them and would be nice to let them do every thing when they are ready and it is not me interfering . I am only planning on doing local areas for dove release going to start with funerals first , so will take them to all the local cemeteries , churches and crems so they get to know the routes. Really apperciate your help and advice .
Back to top Go down
denise washington
Chipping
Chipping
denise washington

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: flying    Open loft thoughts EmptyThu Jul 05, 2018 10:47 pm

just started letting my rollers out but dont think they are rollers lol just flying birds seen one doind a roll others jus fly round problem is the buggers come back to loft but some dont want to go to bed they just follow me round allotment what do i have to do to get them to go in
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyFri Jul 06, 2018 1:29 am

denise washington wrote:
just started letting my rollers out but dont think they are rollers lol just flying birds seen one doind a roll others jus fly round problem is the buggers come back to loft but some dont want to go to bed they just follow me round allotment what do i have to do to get them to go in
Sounds like a happy little flock you have there Denise etc Smile Smile with how they follow you as such. End of the day Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I suggest it's a food issue & you must just find the happy balance where by they trap when required. Would suggest, Never be concerned thou if they miss a meal or two in your environment there, as it will do no harm I would suggest bounce bounce & in fact from my perspective, it could be a good thing Smile Smile.  cheers
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyFri Jul 06, 2018 9:16 am

my ybs havnt been flying very well at all, preferring to roost in my weeping willow tree....... Crying or Very sad Embarassed , so I started to deter them by putting a corn sack on a 16ft piece of 2x2 so they fly straight out of the loft and get up into the sky, this worked pretty well, but they still didn't fly for very long, so I decided to leave them out for around 5 hours coming and going as they pleased......I realised that during this time, they actually did quite a lot of flying, so I`ll just leave them as they are and start training shortly, and hope for the best Razz Razz cheers
Back to top Go down
denise washington
Chipping
Chipping
denise washington

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyFri Jul 06, 2018 10:10 am

thanks all for your replies i think i am overfeeding a bit but i dont feed when im letting them out and i stop with them a few hours but when i have to go i close bob hole as we have cats roaming round but so when i go lock up at about 8/9 pm if any out they take a bit of getting in and sometimes they dont come back till next day so any ideas of what to do the little sods lol
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts EmptyFri Jul 06, 2018 10:26 am

did you make a cat flap denise ...?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Open loft thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open loft thoughts   Open loft thoughts Empty

Back to top Go down

Open loft thoughts
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next