Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Loft Competition  Emptyby David Yesterday at 6:18 pm

» escaped birds return
Loft Competition  Emptyby David Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» Weather today
Loft Competition  Emptyby David Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Loft Competition  Emptyby David Yesterday at 12:01 pm

» good luck weekend
Loft Competition  Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 2:24 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Loft Competition  Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

» Scandalous .......
Loft Competition  Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
Loft Competition  Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
Loft Competition  Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Loft Competition  20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 95 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 94 Guests :: 1 Bot

David

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Loft Competition  Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Loft Competition  Vote_lcapLoft Competition  Voting_barLoft Competition  Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Loft Competition  Vote_lcapLoft Competition  Voting_barLoft Competition  Vote_rcap 
Knackered
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222655 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Loft Competition  Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Loft Competition  Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Loft Competition

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 6:41 pm

OK, here is something to get your head around.

What you have to do, is to design the best pigeon loft you can think of. Sort of your Dream Loft.

I am going to give a PRIZE to the winner - I am not sure what the prize will be just yet but it will be something really worth having.

The Rules are:-

1. It must NOT cost a fortune, it must be affordable by most of us

2. It must be realistic in its design and construction

3. It must house at least 25 birds

4. It must be usable as an everyday loft

5. It must be man friendly as well as Pigeon friendly

6. It must be constructed of materials that are easily and locally obtainable

7. It has got be be attractive

8. It has to be easy to clean

9. It has to be well ventilated

I need to know about the inside as well as the outside and I would prefer it did not have a 'pan-tile' roof.

I am not expecting a CAD piece or an architect's plan. If you can draw the loft, so much the better. If not, just describe your ideas.

As you all know - we are moving back to the South West of England at the end of the month, and the house we are moving to has got a big garden. That's one of the reasons why we are buying it. We are taking our existing young bird loft, so it doesn't need to be a loft for young birds. I am thinking more of a racing loft.

I have some ideas of my own but I am looking for some different ideas. You can send your entry to me as a PM or you can put it on the open forum. I will make a decision about the winner around the middle of November, so you have got plenty of time to get your ideas to me. I am deadly serious and there will definitely be a great prize for the winner (even if he/she lives in Canada or Australia!)

Phil
Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 7:18 pm

wish this topic had come up 2 weeks ago when I started building my new loft, I was at a loss how to design it so just went about it half heartedly, knowing I wasn't happy with the design.......its easy to copy some of these lofts for sale by loft building companies, but with me already having the roof tiles and roof trusses it had to be designed to take quite a bit of weight, which compromised light into the loft.

look forward to seeing members ideas.
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 9:07 pm

David wrote:
wish this topic had come up 2 weeks ago when I started building my new loft, I was at a loss how to design it so just went about it half heartedly, knowing I wasn't happy with the design.......its easy to copy some of these lofts for sale by loft building companies, but with me already having the roof tiles and roof trusses it had to be designed to take quite a bit of weight, which compromised light into the loft.

look forward to seeing members ideas.

What about showing us what you came up with David.

Phil
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptyFri Oct 06, 2017 12:09 am

ive some photos of the build so far phil, only the front, back and side sections prior to painting , then I will be clearing the area the loft will be going, and putting the floor down before the loft goes up.....even though the loft is "made", that's the easy bit......it gets harder from here.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptyFri Oct 06, 2017 1:28 am

Phil. I have some ideas. Actually have been designing one for over a year now.
However, you have a relatively mild climate, so would not be the same as the one I envisage for here. Snow loads etc,. So lighter material. How do you intend to trap them? 25 birds. Widowhood cocks? Roundabout with 12 pair? Size preferences/limits? Very interesting post!
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptyFri Oct 06, 2017 10:19 am

NO BODY will be excluded from the Loft Competition.

Hal, you have one set of problems and our Ozzy friend will have a different set of problems. I am looking for ideas, more than a totally completed loft. Although, if you have a 'Fully Working' loft idea, please send it along.

Everybody - just send your entries in when you can and we will go from there.

I have thought - Even if you can't draw, you might see a loft design you like but would modify it to suit your ideas. However, I will not accept photos of other professional people's lofts.

If you are not sure how to get your drawing or idea to me or onto the forum, I am sure David will help you.

The number of 24 birds was only a round figure, it could be up to 40 birds! The trapping system has got to be ETS friendly; whether you use a commercially available sputnik or have your own ideas, that is up to you. Probably more roundabout or natural than widowhood.

Any more questions or queries please ask.

Phil

Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptyFri Oct 06, 2017 3:05 pm

Flooring. The pics below are of 24 inch by 12 inch plastic panels. They can be joined together. 1 inch thick and 2 inches thick underneath. I use a few in each loft. Would be too cold in Winter for a full floor. Great in the summertime as the cool air comes up. There are many variations of them. Different colours, sizes. They were used here on the two sides of a farrowing crate. Manure from the little pigs falls through. Full floor under a loft unit, would be or could be used above a sheet of plywood covered in plastic. Angled back to front, so droppings roll to the front for removal. Or washed there. Will hold up a 400 lb sow.
Loft Competition  000_0211
Loft Competition  000_0210
Loft Competition  000_0212
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptyFri Oct 06, 2017 4:43 pm

halcanada wrote:
Flooring. The pics below are of 24 inch by 12 inch plastic panels. They can be joined together. 1 inch thick and 2 inches thick underneath. I use a few in each loft. Would be too cold in Winter for a full floor. Great in the summertime as the cool air comes up. There are many variations of them. Different colours, sizes. They were used here on the two sides of a farrowing crate. Manure from the little pigs falls through. Full floor under a loft unit, would be or could be used above a sheet of plywood covered in plastic. Angled back to front, so droppings roll to the front for removal. Or washed there. Will hold up a 400 lb sow.
Loft Competition  000_0211
Loft Competition  000_0210
Loft Competition  000_0212

Sounds like a great idea. If you wanted to cover an area, say 4 metres square, that was only touching the floor at the corners and a couple of places in the middle. Like a 'grill floor works. Do you think that would be possible? How would they hold together?

Also - what sort of price is a piece?

Phil
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptyFri Oct 06, 2017 7:09 pm

Not sure of the price so looked up UK pig site. Different ones there but same principle. For lighting suggest fiberglass translucent panels, corrugated, roof or side. Usually 2 feet by 8 feet.
UK flooring site.
http://www.philbennissales.ie/pig-flooring.html
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 3:08 pm

I would have a 3 section roundabout loft that could be used for just about any system with old or ybs ...I think a loft that does not limit you is the way to go ...so I would have a side entrance and 3 sections 1st section 4 ft 2nd 8ft 3rd 6ft in the first section would be v-perches for the hens in the middle I would have nest boxes and the far section I would have box perches for the cocks...sliding doors on each of the sections ...I would not house any birds in the middle section this is the motivation for the birds this section is for basket day and race return this will allow you to get more motivation for the cocks on roundabout ...as for trapping I would have a half flight on the front (top half of the loft) and the roof of the flight would be the landing board and trap in on top of this into the loft through bolting wires your pad just underneath...vents at the bottom beneath the half flight with a conventional pent roof with 2 inch gap front and back at roof height ...you could make the vents removable so you could put a basket over the vent opening and drive birds in for training etc...I would not have a corridor ,never seen the point of one if I am honest ,I would rather have more loft space and besides yer still in the loft with a corridor anyway ...hope this gives you a few ideas phil and hil atb
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 4:12 pm

Do you think 18 foot (6 metres) is quite long for the average garden Darren. And how wide would the loft be?

Phil
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 4:19 pm

my loft I have up now is 18 x 6 in 3 sections phil, that size works for me phil....my new loft I am building is 14 x 8 which may include corridor, ive not decided yet, and will be two sections of either 7 x 6 or 7 x 8 and will be used for yb racing next season.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 4:45 pm

6ft wide 2ft aviary I would say most gardens would be 18ft wide you could have a "u" shape set up with yb loft and stock loft you could have it smaller anyway for 12 pairs you could knock 4 ft off that length ...just an idea maybe you can gather something of use from it and with various points of view maybe come up with a good loft that's ideal for you but I would certainly have it adaptable to different racing systems ie roundabout ,natural,widow,or celibate without having to give yourself work
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 5:20 pm

I like the versatility aspect guys. To me the more you can do with a loft the better, eg, have young birds in a section part of the year, and stock hens in the same section at a different part of the year.

Keep your ideas coming in people, and try to be as explicit or detailed as you can.

All sounding good so far!

Phil
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptyTue Oct 10, 2017 7:38 pm

I have always want a loft with a corridor the full length, so that would be incorporated in my design. .I would have removable trays on tbe bottom to save cleaning the floors as well as removable trays in all boxes ..the reason I say this is to save time , so I could concentrate more on the pigeons. .skylightS in every section with traps on the roof..seen this idea on a loft once and lived it.it was like a balcony kind of thing in the roof...last of all it needs to be full of winning birds lol
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptyTue Oct 10, 2017 8:09 pm

I hope you guys are working on your loft designs as there has been very little action over the past few days.

I really thought you would be full of amazing ideas.

This is an opportunity to think outside the box on whatever you wished your ideal loft to be like.

So 'bring it on!'

Phil
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptyTue Oct 10, 2017 8:14 pm

peel bros wrote:
I have always want a loft with a corridor the full length,  so that would be incorporated in my design. .I would have removable trays on tbe bottom to save cleaning the floors as well as removable trays in all boxes ..the reason I say this is to save time , so I could concentrate more on the pigeons. .skylightS in every section with traps on the roof..seen this idea on a loft once and lived it.it was like a balcony kind of thing in the roof...last of all it needs to be full of winning birds lol

Can you please explain a bit more about these 'Trays' Ray - what are hey made of, would you need two per floor or box. Would you put anything in the trays like sand or shavings or this new Bio Pulp.

Also - explain how the traps in the roof would work.

Phil
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptyTue Oct 10, 2017 8:36 pm

I will have a rethink and explain in more detail if possible. Give me a bit time
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptyTue Oct 10, 2017 9:12 pm

peel bros wrote:
I will have a rethink and explain in more detail if possible. Give me a bit time

Take all the time you need honey!

Phil
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 1:22 am

OK. Just a thought or two. The loft has to meet certain criteria. Not in order but the following aspects should be met. Pigeon friendly. The birds have to love the loft. The nest boxes are very important. It is a cocks/hens home. All other criteria notwithstanding, that is what they home to. Eggs, hens, young birds whatever. That is the center of their universe. That is when you get the steak and not just the sizzle. Nothing elaborate or fancy. 2 foot by 2 foot boxes work as well as larger ones. Ventilation can be state of the art or wired covered whole front. Yes, even in Canada. Have a friend with wire covered front loft. On advice covered the front with plastic one Winter. Dismal results. We have floor vents here in the house for the furnace. 1 or 2 each room. 12 inches by 4 inches. Have used them in the loft at strategic places in the floor. Can open or close as needed. Cheap and effective. 2 inch high surround. Wood. I use deep litter so the barrier stops them clogging. Natural immunity builds up. Winter time just shut the vents. So no problem. Pigeon friendly. Lights? Important in the racing season. Natural light. Front or roof. Has to be enough light so the bird does not hesitate on trapping. Artificial for other times of the year. Early breeding etc,. The rest of the loft, is usually for the fanciers benefit. Would love corridors, automatic cleaning etc etc,. Much less work load. But it does not really matter. It is the birds that race. Personally I would prefer winning birds to a winning loft design. But again, each person has their own preferences, own ideas. Feeding, medicating, not many agree on the best way. If your system works do not change it. I suppose it all comes down to stock sense. Does not matter how many birds are kept. There is only one winner each race. Just my opinion anyway.
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 8:17 am

FANTASTIC posting Hal - well done!

Phil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Loft Competition  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loft Competition    Loft Competition  Empty

Back to top Go down

Loft Competition
Page 1 of 1