Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Sprouted barley Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:35 am

» Scandalous .......
Sprouted barley Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
Sprouted barley Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
Sprouted barley Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Sprouted barley Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Sprouted barley Emptyby David Yesterday at 12:38 pm

» Good Morning
Sprouted barley Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 11:19 am

» Morgan's new job
Sprouted barley Emptyby Knackered Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:43 pm

» Another find
Sprouted barley Emptyby David Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:14 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Sprouted barley 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 91 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 91 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Sprouted barley Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Sprouted barley Vote_lcapSprouted barley Voting_barSprouted barley Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222577 messages in 14000 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Sprouted barley Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Sprouted barley Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Sprouted barley

Go down 
+2
friendsloft
Romedius
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 4:14 pm

Ok, I can not find any information on barley that has been sprouted before giving to pigeons as feed. The only info I can find is that barley when sprouted to the stage below has 20 percent protein, and folic acid ect. That form of nutrition is not availble when the barley is in dry stage(unsprouted). Excellent malting barley is the cheapest feed we can get here, and when sprouted! It comes out to roughly 3$USD per fifty pound weight.

I dried out the roots slightly and soaked the barley back into some red cell enriched water for a couple hours and fed to pigeons. They loved it! No loose droppings like I was expecting.

I know the knowledge is out there, just wondering why I can not find any information of others sprouting barley for pigeons? If we give them vegetables and whatnot, why not something so cheap and healthy?

If I'm making a novice mistake please chime in and let the schooling begin....
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 4:19 pm

I know it is new years in some places. Knackered is probably wrestling a massive crocodile just to bring in the new years properly Very Happy
Back to top Go down
friendsloft
Youngbird
Youngbird
friendsloft

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 4:23 pm

Romedius im a big believer in Barley After racing as finished mine are fed on 100% barley it helps clean the system out the pigeons do not start piling on weight the dropping are good which tells me their internal systems are good to me barley is avery under estermated corn
Ken
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/friendsloft/index.htm
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 4:34 pm

friendsloft wrote:
Romedius im a big believer in Barley After racing as finished mine are fed on 100% barley it helps clean the system out the pigeons do not start piling on weight the dropping are good which tells me their internal systems are good to me barley is avery under estermated  corn
Ken
Thanks Ken. My birds are on 100% barley now. If the temperatures drop down below -10 F I splash in a little whole corn. Sprouts are cheap for me here. Produce is pricey this time of year. Just wondering if anyone else sprouts for the ease, and nutrient change when sprouted to this stage.Sprouted barley 12311710
Back to top Go down
friendsloft
Youngbird
Youngbird
friendsloft

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 4:39 pm

Romedius hand on heart never fed them when Barley as sprouted to that stage , but open to ideas and other members thoughts on this
Ken
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/friendsloft/index.htm
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 4:47 pm

as far as I am aware the tails are too long on that barley shown it has to be just poking through to be at the ideal stage ...I use an element of barley but never fed it alone or when its sprouting but that's just my preference as many do ...when the barley is at this stage theirs more sugar in the barley that's why its used for brewing in this manner I may not be totally correct but that's the general gist of it atb
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 6:01 pm

oldstrain wrote:
as far as I am aware the tails are too long on that barley shown it has to be just poking through to be at the ideal stage ...I use an element of barley but never fed it alone or when its sprouting  but that's just my preference as many do ...when the barley is at this stage theirs more sugar in the barley that's why its used for brewing in this manner I may not be totally correct but that's the general gist of it atb
Interesting. They do stuff themselves until a strand or two hang out like cigarettes. But after they drink everything seems fine. Only thing I notice is the pigeons don't eat much grit after feeding them sprouts for a few days, I guess they don't need it to grind their food as much
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 7:10 pm

Iv had malt which is the correct name that brewers use...its moistened in the malt house and turned.
cant remember exactly what else but it just looks like dark barley but nutty taste and smell
I new a security gaude who worked for federation breweries.(newcastle upon tyne)
I got a few bags from him in about 1990/91 good stuff...won sprint opens using it as a depuritive
but I think he retired or got the sack...
Dave Allen wrote an article on it years ago when him and Bert Hession had the van reets..
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 7:16 pm

[quote="fieldwalker"]Iv had malt which is the correct name that brewers use...its moistened in the malt house and turned.
cant remember exactly what else but it just looks like dark barley but nutty taste and smell
I new a security gaude who worked for federation breweries.(newcastle upon tyne)
I got a few bags from him in about 1990/91 good stuff...won sprint opens using it as a depuritive
but I think he retired or got the sack...
Dave Allen wrote an article on it years ago when him and Bert Hession had the van reets..[/quote

Interesting story. I use to drink my share of new Castle. The barley I buy is called wax v barley. It doesn't have that papery chaff on it. I just sprout a cupful a week. It turns isn't a quart or better.
]
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptyMon Jan 01, 2018 4:30 am

Romedius wrote:
Ok, I can not find any information on barley that has been sprouted before giving to pigeons as feed.  The only info I can find is that barley when sprouted to the stage below has 20 percent protein, and folic acid ect.  That form of nutrition is not availble when the barley is in dry stage(unsprouted).  Excellent malting barley is the cheapest feed we can get here, and when sprouted!  It comes out to roughly 3$USD per fifty pound weight.  

I dried out  the roots slightly and soaked the barley back into some red cell enriched water for a couple hours and fed to pigeons.  They loved it!  No loose droppings  like I was expecting.  

I know the knowledge is out there, just wondering why I can not find any information of others sprouting barley for pigeons?   If we give them vegetables and whatnot, why not something so cheap and healthy?

If I'm making a novice mistake please chime in and let the schooling begin....
Not some thing  I have actually seen either Rom Smile Smile I would suggest thou  Smile  Smile . Suck up to Hal Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes  Smile  Smile get him to wave his magic wand etc Wink Wink as I know on the Allanta or what I call T. Mak's forum there are topics of a similar nature, thou not barley for what I remember. At the end of the day, your pigeons will tell you if what you are doing is good or bad as such with your barley thing. Now Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes the crocodile bit Smile Smile no challenge in fighting one to bring the new year in  bounce bounce I always take on 2 big ones
(6 metres at least) more fun lol! lol! lol! & in some ways a wee bit like our forum here Wink Wink.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptyMon Jan 01, 2018 4:44 am

Romedius wrote:
oldstrain wrote:
as far as I am aware the tails are too long on that barley shown it has to be just poking through to be at the ideal stage ...I use an element of barley but never fed it alone or when its sprouting  but that's just my preference as many do ...when the barley is at this stage theirs more sugar in the barley that's why its used for brewing in this manner I may not be totally correct but that's the general gist of it atb
Interesting.  They do stuff themselves until a strand or two hang out like cigarettes.  But after they drink everything seems fine.  Only thing I notice is the pigeons don't eat much grit after feeding them sprouts for a few days,  I guess they don't need it to grind their food as much
Many type grits just don't break down in 24 hours Rom, so I wouldn't worry etc. Breeding time normally is when they hog out so it pays to have a truck load ready as such Wink Wink. I see Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes happy hour lol! lol! lol!  has just arrived in Montana etc I believe. May just have to give the chewing tobacco away Wink Wink & smoke pot now as they say Smile Smile.  cheers
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptyMon Jan 01, 2018 5:16 am

Knackered wrote:
Romedius wrote:
oldstrain wrote:
Interesting.  They do stuff themselves until a strand or two hang out like cigarettes.  But after they drink everything seems fine.  Only thing I notice is the pigeons don't eat much grit after feeding them sprouts for a few days,  I guess they don't need it to grind their food as much
Many type grits just don't break down in 24 hours Rom, so I wouldn't worry etc. Breeding time normally is when they hog out so it pays to have a truck load ready as such Wink Wink. I see Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes happy hour lol! lol! lol!  has just arrived in Montana etc I believe. May just have to give the chewing tobacco away Wink Wink & smoke pot now as they say Smile Smile.  cheers

Doctor told me I'd be better to smoke pot, than use chewing tabacco. True story. As far as bringing in the new year? Having a cup of tea, and hitting the rack.
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptyMon Jan 01, 2018 6:42 am

Yeah I saw the new year in with coke...
Out the bottle Smile happy new year Rom
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptyMon Jan 01, 2018 8:57 am

Romedius wrote:
Knackered wrote:
Romedius wrote:
oldstrain wrote:

Doctor told me I'd be better to smoke pot, than use chewing tabacco.  True story.  As far as bringing in the new year?  Having a cup of tea, and hitting the rack.  
Another druggie  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Smile  Smile here on the forum etc just like me lol! lol! lol! it appears Rom Smile Smile I go through a bucket of tea a day here & you would be some what surprised how much finishes up in the birds drinkers, as scraps WinkWink.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptyMon Jan 01, 2018 9:05 am

fieldwalker wrote:
Yeah I saw the new year in with coke...
Out the bottle Smile happy new year Rom
Coke, tea Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes a real bunch of piss pots etc it appears here FW Smile Smile Rom, talks about that bunch of crooks/outlaws in his blood line. Got nothing on the wild bunch types here I would suggest Wink Wink.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptyMon Jan 01, 2018 8:34 pm

""as I know on the Allanta or what I call T. Mak's forum there are topics of a similar nature, ""
Only Aussie onthat site I can see is Gordon Wiess. Pioneer Lofts.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptyMon Jan 01, 2018 8:47 pm

From the Alberta Classic site years ago.
"Sprouts- an example , malted barley, when they make malted barley for feed they spread malt barley seed out in large screen trays. Then dampen the seed to induce sprouting. As the stem of the sprout appears, they gage the optimun time during this process that the starches stored in the seed are converted into sugars and minerals. At this time they nock off the sprout which halts the process and locks these valuable food sources in the remaining seed.
I'm sure that is what is so vitamin rich and nutritious for us and our birds. The sprouts contain within that time frame these stored components. That is why the timing is important!! because this is the highest concentration level during sprouting. Too early and the essentials we are looking for are not yet at the highest level and too late they are diverted into other processes for developing the plant.

AGAIN, this brings us back to working WITH the scheme of NATURE . Natural immunity and health, using what the Creator has provided all of us with."
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptyMon Jan 01, 2018 10:04 pm

Hope I am not accused of mentioning another site? Have been in that one many years. Nowhere near as lively as it used to be. Facebook came along and every guy with pigeons wanted his own page. Joined many then cut most out. Overwhelmed by the pigeon guys advertising. For sprouted barley and some other stuff went in and searched the archives. Thought some posts would be there. Good source of info. Apparently Knackered looks in. Did not realise that but Knackered is a devious old fart anyway! LOL!
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptyMon Jan 01, 2018 11:43 pm

halcanada wrote:
""as I know on the Allanta or what I call T. Mak's forum there are topics of a similar nature, ""
Only Aussie onthat site I can see is Gordon Wiess. Pioneer Lofts.
Was there long, long before PL Hal Smile Smile Still remember a xmas photo Tom sent me at the time. House Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes covered in 10ft of snow Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad pigeon loft Wink Wink no where to be seen as such Smile Smile. Decided then, being an old type surfie/sun type  bounce bounce was a much better way to lead the good life & they all could stick that snow scenario Smile Smile right up you know where Smile Smile.   cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptyMon Jan 01, 2018 11:50 pm

halcanada wrote:
Hope I am not accused of mentioning another site? Have been in that one many years. Nowhere near as lively as it used to be. Facebook came along and every guy with pigeons wanted his own page. Joined many then cut most out. Overwhelmed by the pigeon guys advertising. For sprouted barley and some other stuff went in and searched the archives. Thought some posts would be there. Good source of info. Apparently Knackered looks in. Did not realise that but Knackered is a devious old fart anyway! LOL!
Smile Smile Talk about me being of devious nature Hal & an old fart etc Wink Wink you taught me tricks of the trade so to speak Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes  one could say Smile Smile.
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley EmptyTue Jan 02, 2018 1:53 pm

I see that I sprouted the barley a little too long. Maybe not necessary at all. I thought I found a super cheap vegetable! lol! It was fun to learn about though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sprouted barley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprouted barley   Sprouted barley Empty

Back to top Go down

Sprouted barley
Page 1 of 1