Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Darkness anyone Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:35 am

» Scandalous .......
Darkness anyone Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
Darkness anyone Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
Darkness anyone Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Darkness anyone Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Darkness anyone Emptyby David Yesterday at 12:38 pm

» Good Morning
Darkness anyone Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 11:19 am

» Morgan's new job
Darkness anyone Emptyby Knackered Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:43 pm

» Another find
Darkness anyone Emptyby David Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:14 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Darkness anyone 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 94 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 94 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Darkness anyone Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Darkness anyone Vote_lcapDarkness anyone Voting_barDarkness anyone Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222577 messages in 14000 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Darkness anyone Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Darkness anyone Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Darkness anyone

Go down 
+8
chuda
Romedius
halcanada
markevans
fieldwalker
David
oldstrain
Lofty
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 5:03 pm

Anybody going to use darkness for their ybs this season, we did it last year and it seemed to have worked ok for us, now, others say it's a recipe for disaster, yb sickness poor yearling performance etc ,I won't lie, we did have a little sickness but nothing that we didn't expect ,seems normal with ybs nowdays, only a few went down with it and we cleared it up quickly,as for the yearling performance, we have yet to find out, but we will be using this system again this year for our ybs as it seems to be the only way to keep up with the others in the club that always use darkness, any or all you guys going on it this year
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 5:24 pm

not had the sickness in the ybs for 3 seasons now have had them on natural and darkness and honestly don't think it has anything to do with them getting ill ...I am doing my own little study regards what fanciers call young bird sickness and one common factor I can see so far is all that get it treat heavy before pairing and very close to pairing so are the parents passing on a fungal/yeast problem to the youngsters Suspect 2 local lofts who get the sickness every year and treat before pairing tried something different last year by using natural products through the year and not treating with a antibiotic prior to pairing and they never experienced any sickness in fact 1 of the lofts had their best ever season and the other is not a successful loft but enjoyed a healthy yb season and got a few cards so for me the yb problem could well start with the parents Suspect and yes we will darken again this year ...atb roy
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 5:45 pm

I think like you say, some keep them natural with the notion they perform better as yearlings, some arnt too bothered about yb racing and treat it merely as learning......I think if you want to do well racing ybs then you need to be on the dark, altho` some still do win on natural until they start to fall apart.

if I race ybs I will definitely put them on darkness, but not the usual method.....I tried one system a few years ago which mufcrick told me about and I much preferred it, I cant remember whos system it was but it was to darken at 4 o`clock then when it got dark go and remove the covers, which helps with the air flow not being restricted during the night, and also thee birds got a natural day break in the morning, instead of going and removing the covers at 9 o`clock.
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 6:14 pm

when i restarted 2012 after a few years out i put my 2012 ybs on darkness...yes i got ybs put them straight on layers pellets and treat them with 4in1.....ok after 3 or 4 days.
timed in every week bar 1 and that was because i was preparing 4 fut ybs for a monday race.
the next year as yearlings i won 4 out of 5 channel races in the fed..the one i didnt win i was 2nd..
some unc possitions 10th 99th 38th 40 something 2 unc possition out of bourges 570 mile yes yearlings only 2 in race time.1st fed 470 with unc turn (forgot what) plus more than one timing every channel race....so no it doesnt effect them as yearlings lol!
Back to top Go down
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 8:15 pm

If I remember rightly it was only 3/4 were a bit sick, shaking heads with corn coming up, treated with stuff that goes on the corn and didn't see any more , birds raced pretty well and are looking really well at the minute, looking forward to race them as yearlings, I like that idea of taking off the covers when it's dark David
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 8:24 pm

If your not on the darkness system then your not racing Young birds its as simple as that and yearlings will race just the same as any other yearling that hasn't been on the darkness
Back to top Go down
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 8:33 pm

Still on our learning curve mark, you hear so many different stories, do this , don't do that or you'll ruin your birds, even in our club conflicting advice from different members,race the yb so far then stop them,and race them all the way as it's the only way to find out if they're any good
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 8:49 pm

i think ad schaerlaeckens wrote an article about darkness Lofty
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 9:23 pm

I tried keeping them on the dark. But could not get enough ventilation. So quit it early. Will do what a succesful fancier does out West. They have 16 hours light now as they are still in the nest. Wean at 30 days or so. By then they should be on the floor, eating etc,. Then move them to the young bird loft. Glass door so lots of natural light. No extra lights. No darkness. Treat them as normal. Longest day of the year keep them at those daylight hours until end of season. I was told that some may carry a flight in to the next year, but not to worry about it. The fellow who told me this wins with yearlings and old birds also. Simple system.
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 10:45 pm

fieldwalker wrote:

Ad keeps his ybs in almost total darkness. He doesn't seem to care if they move enough to drink. He stressed that the birds must come to rest. No droppings scattered on the perches. I don't know Ad, but this is what he said in Jim's film about him. One thing I noticed in thing that film though....
He said he quit treating for canker. No chemical dependent birds, but he does use electrolytes, vinegar, garlic ect. He did adopt the use of droppers though. He seemed a little sheepish about the matter though lol! . I like Ad's ways on feeding, and medicating. Ofcourse, that is probably do to my background in husbandry matters.
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 10:48 pm

halcanada wrote:
I tried keeping them on the dark. But could not get enough ventilation. So quit it early. Will do what a succesful fancier does out West. They have 16 hours light now as they are still in the nest. Wean at 30 days or so. By then they should be on the floor, eating etc,. Then move them to the young bird loft. Glass door so lots of natural light. No extra lights. No darkness. Treat them as normal. Longest day of the year keep them at those daylight hours until end of season. I was told that some may carry a flight in to the next year, but not to worry about it. The fellow who told me this wins with yearlings and old birds also. Simple system.

That is my plan Hal. I don't want to over complicate things on my virgin year. The two whole members that I talked to in my club, turn off the lights when finished breeding, and kick them back on in june.
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 11:53 pm

That sounds the best idea...do what suits you and your area.
Here some take them off the dark end of june then on the light couple of weeks later to hold the flights until first week in september
Back to top Go down
chuda
Chipping
Chipping
chuda

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 12:38 am

Mine were on the darkness and I missed the first three races, as I work and couldn't get them trained and I still won all four races that I sent to. 1st race I was 1,2 3, the got ybs so missed the next two races and won the next three races.

Last edited by chuda on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 1:04 am

95% of the Fed members keep them in the dark. They have done for years now. Some come down with sickness, some do not. 4 % keep them on a light system. Same amount of sickness. 1% keep them natural. Same amount of sickness. I assume from talking with folks (ahem, listening in) the great majority medicate their birds. I am not a beleiver in medication. Natural, sure. Man made no. It is very seldom I have a sick pigeon. If I do I do not isolate it. Whatever it has it can pass on. It gets too bad I nuke it. My bird feeder has many types of birds. Jays, woodpeckers finches and wild pigeons visit. Plus the hawk for his weekly meal. When my birds are free flying, fielding they will of course pick up anything these guys have. I assume so anyway. One cannot medicate to prevent all the potential health hazards the birds may encounter. The medication cabinet would be overflowing! Some fanciers have to medicate because of circumstances. Clean sanitized lofts and no open loft. Immune system not a 100%. Each has to do what works best for them. No matter light or dark or any other system. To win young bird races one needs healthy birds, many flights as possible etc,. The dark system was hailed as the only system when people found out about it. Same as widowhood many years earlier. I have never flew widowhood or the dark system. But have competed against the majority that do. I have beat them, not consistently but enough to realize that whatever method is used, Smart pigeons in good health will win. Now if the fancier is also as smart has his birds...hoping to get there!!
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 1:11 am

chuda wrote:
Mine were on the darkness and I missed the first three races, as I work and couldn't them trained and I still won all four races that I sent to. 1st race I was 1,2 3, the got ybs so missed the next two races and won the next three races.

so how far did you jump them into the 4th race ...?
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 1:15 am

Romedius wrote:
fieldwalker wrote:

Ad keeps his ybs in almost total darkness.   He doesn't seem to care if they move enough to drink.  He stressed that the birds must come to rest.  No droppings scattered on the perches.  I don't know Ad, but this is what he said in Jim's film about him.  One thing I noticed in thing that film though....
He said he quit treating for canker.  No chemical dependent birds, but he does use electrolytes, vinegar, garlic  ect.  He did adopt the use of droppers though.  He seemed a little sheepish about the matter though lol! .  I like Ad's ways on feeding, and medicating.  Ofcourse, that is probably do to my background in husbandry matters.
First off here Smile Smile Good little topic Wink Wink. Rom Smile Smile take heed of what wisdom Ad has etc. Seen much of the spin & bling in his time & he wisely concluded on average most was just waffle in the big picture as such. Example Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes fish & chip vinegar, compared to the fancy stuff with a pigeon on the bottle at 10 times the price Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes. Always have held in high regard here & at the end of the day bounce bounce what I call. A kiss type of guy Smile Smile.  cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 1:18 am

David it should not matter. Our first race is 115 for me. Train to 40. Have missed the first and went next week to the 200 or 150. Once past their last training point they will come in the direction they have been trained to then get better bearings on the loft. Then speed up.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 1:21 am

I think our first race is Newark 56 miles, if I missed that I wouldn't risk them....... lol!
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 1:29 am

David. Each to their own. Even at 40 mile training my young birds will fly over the loft and keep going. Return 30 or 40 minutes later. Why waste gas money when training when the birds will fly themselves the extra distance?
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 1:46 am

David wrote:
I think our first race is Newark 56 miles, if I missed that I wouldn't risk them....... lol!
lol! lol! lol! 56 miles. Must be a bunch of Brave heart types David Smile Smile. Read up on Rom's combine Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes etc especially Mr Noonkester there Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad who on average, sends 1 a race bounce  bounce & it has 56 miles to fly on it's own unfortunately, just to get home  Smile  Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 2:31 am

Knackered. Never thought to look at the site Rom flies in. You sure you do not work, or did work for MI5 or similar? Devious! Smart also. You must have a dossier on all on here. Umm. find anything incriminating? Grounds for divorce etc? Share!! LOL!
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 3:04 am

Yes but he wont tell your wife lol
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 5:00 am

halcanada wrote:
Knackered. Never thought to look at the site Rom flies in. You sure you do not work, or did work for MI5 or similar? Devious! Smart also. You must have a dossier on all on here. Umm. find anything incriminating? Grounds for divorce etc? Share!! LOL!
Shoot! No one has that much paper!
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 10:58 am

Romedius wrote:
halcanada wrote:
Shoot!  No one has that much paper!

hes a sly old fox is our knackered....... Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 11:41 am

I looked at the area but got side tracked by great
horned owls...only supposed to hunt at night fall just look like bigger longeared owls

Last edited by fieldwalker on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Darkness anyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Darkness anyone Empty

Back to top Go down

Darkness anyone
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next