Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» RPRA Rule Book
Breed and Wean  Emptyby David Today at 11:29 pm

» RPRA Race Program
Breed and Wean  Emptyby David Today at 11:28 pm

» Weather today
Breed and Wean  Emptyby David Today at 11:25 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Breed and Wean  Emptyby David Today at 11:25 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Breed and Wean  Emptyby David Today at 12:38 pm

» Good Morning
Breed and Wean  Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 11:19 am

» Scandalous .......
Breed and Wean  Emptyby David Today at 9:41 am

» Morgan's new job
Breed and Wean  Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:43 pm

» Another find
Breed and Wean  Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:14 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Breed and Wean  20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 106 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 104 Guests :: 2 Bots

David, Knackered

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Breed and Wean  Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Breed and Wean  Vote_lcapBreed and Wean  Voting_barBreed and Wean  Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222573 messages in 14000 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Breed and Wean  Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Breed and Wean  Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Breed and Wean

Go down 
+4
Knackered
barnie
Boosey
David
8 posters
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyWed Mar 28, 2018 6:01 pm

this is the versele laga breed and wean im using, its fed to my breeding pairs, and to the ybs which have been weaned.......I`m not sure its very good, especially for breeders feeding ybs, it seems ok for the weaned birds but for me it looks a very light mix.

any thoughts...?

Breed and Wean  00212
Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyWed Mar 28, 2018 6:04 pm

Yes it looks a bit light for my liking to David.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyWed Mar 28, 2018 6:11 pm

yes me too steve, used a breed and wean a few years ago, cant remember the brand.....but it wasn't like this, this seems more like a yb no maize mix Suspect
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyWed Mar 28, 2018 7:03 pm

David your YBs came on a treat and were very quick to get up on the wing if I'm correct? Did the breeders eat the lot or just pick out certain grains? Seems to suit them so far. I'd be happy enough. Maybe if they were fed a heavier mix they'd still be sitting about on the bottom mate. I know feeding has changed an awful lot in a short time, some of the racing mixes look more like winter resting mixes of 10 years ago Very Happy
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyWed Mar 28, 2018 7:25 pm

hi colin, yes I do think my ybs were quick to get circling round, today most of them did a few laps round the loft, that's after only being out 5 times......normally they would be lazing around the garden.

the parents did seem to eat all the grain I put in their boxes, and because I thought it was a bit of a light mix I sometimes gave extra.

how long would you leave the ybs on this mix colin...?
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyWed Mar 28, 2018 8:44 pm

Just my thoughts David but I'd leave well alone for the next few weeks, get them batched up and doing 20 mins or so. If you're putting them on dark they get a bit stressed to begin with anyway, so changing their grub might affect them further. Once they're moulting their bodies I'd add 20% something like this mix:

Breed and Wean  37-jun10

Vanrobaeys no 37.

Then when they're flying well, doing an hour or so way out of sight, up to about  2 weeks before training I'd build them up to 40% vanrobaeys and 60% breed and wean. If you're wanting to get a few races under their belt as education I'd leave them on this ratio till stopping them. If you want to race every week, bash them right through the programme then I'd probably go 70% vanrobaeys and 30% breed and wean, or maybe even 80%/20% with a few peanuts and sunflower on Thurs and Friday.
But just what I'd do if racing, infact your doing ok right now they're off to a good start it seems Wink
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyWed Mar 28, 2018 9:09 pm

right, thanks for the info colin, I`ll keep you posted on the progress......I`m hoping to get them out every day weather permitting, and maybe darkening this weekend ...?
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 8:19 am

David wrote:
this is the versele laga breed and wean im using, its fed to my breeding pairs, and to the ybs which have been weaned.......I`m not sure its very good, especially for breeders feeding ybs, it seems ok for the weaned birds but for me it looks a very light mix.

any thoughts...?

Breed and Wean  00212
Interesting thoughts David Smile Smile. Light Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes mine would choke on that mix here etc Wink Wink so I question the protein/carb/fat/fibre factor there to make that assumption as such with your mix Smile Smile. Never really been a big fan of grain that appears to have been polished also & those that add oil at times to make them look impressive I just scratch my head in bewilderment with their thinking. cheers
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 8:34 am

ah right knackeroo, so would you say this isn't a light mix...? I know there are peas in it but there seems quite a lot of small seeds.

looks a lot like diat , but with peas in......... Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 9:36 am

does look a bit light on the maples for a breed and wean but their doing fine on it so I would leave alone for now
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 9:43 am

oldstrain wrote:
does look a bit light on the maples for a breed and wean but their doing fine on it so I would leave alone for now

yes Darren, the weaned ybs seem to be doing nicely on it, but what about the ybs in the nest, is it good enough for them...?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 3:45 pm

im feeding approx. 1 and 1/4 oz per bird per day, looking at the mix im feeding, is this right, too much, or not enough...?
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 6:20 pm

I would say that's fine david ...the ybs reared are doing well on it so as you were for me
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 6:22 pm

thanks Darren, got a bag of Gerry plus here I was going to put them on, but think ill stay on this breed and wean for a while until they get flying/bunching, then decide where to go from there.
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 8:45 pm

Like kids,no sweets before dinner study
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 8:55 pm

fieldwalker wrote:
Like kids,no sweets before dinner study

Question Question Question Question Question scratch

explain.......... Suspect
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyFri Mar 30, 2018 1:19 am

David wrote:
ah right knackeroo, so would you say this isn't a light mix...? I know there are peas in it but there seems quite a lot of small seeds.

looks a lot like diat , but with peas in......... Razz Razz
Yes, more to the heavy side David Smile Smile compared to Barnies mix as shown above. One really needs to see the final composition analysis of the different mixes thou to compare I suggest. cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyFri Mar 30, 2018 1:23 am

Nice pics. As long as it makes one feel good buy the best. Or get the same results with a cheap ugly mix.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyFri Mar 30, 2018 3:53 pm

How on earth anyone can think that polishing feed has any benefit is beyond me, if I ever saw a wild bird do so I may have given it a little consideration.

The immune system is built up in many ways and picking up bugs whilst feeding is one of them.

I doubt very much if any wild bird eats exactly the same meal any consecative day and certainly not the same amount nor at the same time etc;

When I was young, and irrespective of what anyone says, the birds were far more healthy then than now, the feed was straight from the farm, that years crop, and if you asked the farmer to polish it he would (rightly) send for the white coat brigade.

How fanciers can get persistantly rapped up in all the different feed offered is beyond me, I new one fancier who used mainly bread and he won more than those spending hundreds of pounds for polishing and posh bags neither of which has any benifit to either the pigeon health or racing ability.

But then many accepted that the world was flat amongst other things.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyFri Mar 30, 2018 7:39 pm

I have yet to see anyone explain how polishing corn helps and just how any certain mix is more of an advantage than any other, I used the same mix all year round and I doubt if any pigeon got the same amount of the mix on any day of the week.

The mix contained numerous seeds and pea nuts, one day some pigeons would get more of each than others and that is what makes their system work better than using them like Robots.

If all fanciers in a club are fighting each other to find a magic mix one of them will win and all the others be wasting their time.

The best expert is Mother Nature.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyFri Mar 30, 2018 7:50 pm

some people think too much, analyse too much.......some people make pigeon keeping and racing more complicated than they need to, relax, enjoy the pigeons, enjoy the racing.

its not life or death, its a hobby, enjoy it..
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  EmptyFri Mar 30, 2018 7:53 pm

Yep

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Breed and Wean  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed and Wean    Breed and Wean  Empty

Back to top Go down

Breed and Wean
Page 1 of 1