Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» escaped birds return
Numbers game? Emptyby oldstrain Today at 10:58 am

» Good Morning
Numbers game? Emptyby oldstrain Today at 10:57 am

» Weather today
Numbers game? Emptyby oldstrain Today at 10:53 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Numbers game? Emptyby oldstrain Today at 10:51 am

» good luck weekend
Numbers game? Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:05 am

» Scandalous .......
Numbers game? Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
Numbers game? Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
Numbers game? Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Numbers game? Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:25 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Numbers game? 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 76 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 76 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Numbers game? Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Numbers game? Vote_lcapNumbers game? Voting_barNumbers game? Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222586 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Numbers game? Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Numbers game? Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Numbers game?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Numbers game? Empty
PostSubject: Numbers game?   Numbers game? EmptyFri Jun 15, 2018 2:35 am

Numbers game? 35129610
Numbers game? 35129610
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Numbers game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Numbers game?   Numbers game? EmptyFri Jun 15, 2018 9:15 am

halcanada wrote:
Numbers game? 35129610
Numbers game? 35129610
Interesting Hal Wink Wink Good luck to T Mak there Smile Smile but that I suggest bounce bounce is stacking the deck in your favour bounce bounce some what, with 90 out of 337 birds as such Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Numbers game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Numbers game?   Numbers game? EmptyFri Jun 15, 2018 9:57 am

If these are open races and attracting only 8 participating lofts, then the sport must be in real trouble.

All other things being equal, a fancier sending a large percentage of the entrants has a large advantage and this should be taken into account when accessing a fancier.

I would personally not get any pleasure knowing I had gained anything by a clear advantage.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

Numbers game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Numbers game?   Numbers game? EmptyFri Jun 15, 2018 6:36 pm

Notice he's got a few 5 yr olds on the sheet, rare these days especially under 200 miles.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Numbers game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Numbers game?   Numbers game? EmptySat Jun 16, 2018 3:29 am

barnie wrote:
Notice he's got a few 5 yr olds on the sheet, rare these days especially under 200 miles.
Maybe so Barnie Wink Wink but one never quite knows etc bounce bounce with the old ring caper lol! lol! lol! as some what deceptive at times I would suggest. cheers
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Numbers game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Numbers game?   Numbers game? EmptySat Jun 16, 2018 1:17 pm

that toms been doing well for years gotta hand it to him always there or theirabout
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Numbers game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Numbers game?   Numbers game? EmptySun Jun 17, 2018 2:02 am

Yes he does fly well. 98% of mine are from him. The old Jules Gallez Jannsen strain. Told me the reds from those bloodlines now only represent 20% of his birds. He has friends in Europe and imports very many. Bachelor now, farm and sheep all sold, net worth heck of a lot more than most people. He has offered to sell me birds off his winners and imports for a small dollar value. I ordered beginnig of year then cancelled. Knowing I had to downsize. Thinking here if the old strain flew that well why do I need others? One race wonders. Therein comes the crunch. Selection. Not older pedigrees. Pigeons brains and ability. Ability one cam measure. The other one cannot. With any degree of success any way.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Numbers game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Numbers game?   Numbers game? EmptySun Jun 17, 2018 4:46 am

halcanada wrote:
Yes he does fly well. 98% of mine are from him. The old Jules Gallez Jannsen strain. Told me the reds from those bloodlines now only represent 20% of his birds. He has friends in Europe and imports very many. Bachelor now, farm and sheep all sold, net worth heck of a lot more than most people. He has offered to sell me birds off his winners and imports for a small dollar value. I ordered beginnig of year then cancelled. Knowing I had to downsize. Thinking here if the old strain flew that well why do I need others? One race wonders. Therein comes the crunch. Selection. Not older pedigrees. Pigeons brains and ability. Ability one cam measure. The other one cannot. With any degree of success any way.
Have many of the old Jules Gallez books here Hal Smile Smile still, & dollar for dollar it was money well spent from my point of view. Could maybe have done with spell check  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  lol!  lol!  lol! back in their day as such Smile Smile with the spelling issue/interpretation bounce bounce but best not to be to picky I suggest when the information there on average was of a very high standard from my perspective. cheers
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Numbers game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Numbers game?   Numbers game? EmptySun Jun 17, 2018 7:17 am

spoke with tom about his red fox janssens as they were known here ...also about a few other things he is a very knowledgeable man and a decent sort of guy who took the time to explain
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Numbers game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Numbers game?   Numbers game? EmptySun Jun 17, 2018 10:33 am

oldstrain wrote:
spoke with tom about his red fox janssens as they were known here ...also about a few other things he is a very knowledgeable man and a decent sort of guy who took the time to explain
True Wink Wink Smile Smile he was a sheep farmer O/S Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes so nothing more needs to be said etc Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Numbers game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Numbers game?   Numbers game? EmptySun Jun 17, 2018 9:41 pm

Could tell you a few jokes about Sheep Farmers but do not feel like spending time at HM Pleasure.

As I have said numerous times, present day fanciers are only interested in short term success and said many years ago what the result would be.

Pigeons are offten spent forces within a couple of years, yearlings win more races now than many years ago.

Fanciers chop and change and only very few have what could be called a family of their own, and that to my mind should be the aim of all fanciers, yes obtain the best you can obtain to start with but progressively introduce on a sensible basis to improve what you already have.

Often fanciers get rid of better pigeons than those they replace with the flavour of the day.

The best pigeons many fanciers ever have are gift and exchange ones, but the commercial boys know how to confuse the fancioers wanting instant success and do avery good job.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Numbers game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Numbers game?   Numbers game? EmptyTue Jun 19, 2018 8:53 pm

Tom was the one who explained that if loft flying training not required. If they are not flying enough he flags them, old and young.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Numbers game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Numbers game?   Numbers game? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2018 6:33 am

halcanada wrote:
Tom was the one who explained that if loft flying training not required. If they are not flying enough he flags them, old and young.
Maybe so in Canada Hal Wink Wink but if you sit on your a**e here Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I suggest with just only loft flying etc bounce bounce you will be on a hiding to nothing sadly Smile Smile on average. Seen enough here thou Wink Wink to know one doesn't have to flog them to death, but basket work still is a requirement in the big picture. cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Numbers game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Numbers game?   Numbers game? EmptyThu Jun 21, 2018 1:19 am

Yes basket work is required. Especially for young ones. For old birds..debatable.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Numbers game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Numbers game?   Numbers game? EmptyFri Jun 22, 2018 9:49 am

A lesson learned the hard way is never forgotten.

Too many fanciers molly coddle their pigeons regarding many aspects and disregard the main issues.

A pigeon that has the option of flying in all the daylight hours will gain nothing from being sent up and down the road in a basket, they know their way home and will instinctively know where the water and food is when sent to the races, which will be the only learning curve they need and only once.

I have proved this for many years, young birds never been in a basket as young birds and straight into races as yearlings etc;

I do not know if it affects them inicially but if it does, it does not affect their ability to win races later if they are good enough.

You cannot beat facts based on actual experience and I know others who have done the same.

Of course there is a big difference between a pigeon having 100% freedom and one fasetned up 90% of the time and fed and treated like a Robot.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Numbers game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Numbers game?   Numbers game? EmptySun Jun 24, 2018 1:23 am

Misty. Many cannot have an open loft. YB's are better off for being trained via the basket. Placed high in a yearling race this year with an unraced but basket trained as a young bird. You can expound your ideas over and over but if your way was the only way then you would have won every race.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Numbers game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Numbers game?   Numbers game? EmptySun Jun 24, 2018 10:02 am

Hal,
I doubt if anyone engaged in a club with a reasonable membership will win every race, there are numerous implications involved.

What I try to point out is that there is a different way and ways in which to attain the same ends, some the pigeons no doubt will enjoy others are Robots.

If winning is the only thimg that gives a fancier pleasure, then the vast majority will be disappointed every race.

I never won every race, far from it, but I usualy won the ones I set out to win.. my aim was to win from every race point I raced in from both North and South and I did this several times over, with the exception of the Dunbar YB race and I eventually won 3 years before I had to part with them and this gave me more pleasure than all the others put together.

But winning was only a small part of the enjoyment, the best part was having a close relationship with the pigeons individualy and seeing them enjoying their freedom 24 hours a day.

I would get no pleasure whatsoever from the methods some present day fanciers adopt and nor do the pigeons.

I perhaps did not make it clear that I did race the young ones normally but never basket trained nor sent them training, other than straight on the training transporter on the very odd occasion, and not every year.

I bred vey few young birds and lost very few, of course not all were good ones but you can breed from the best and sort out from a small number than 100s.

You do of course need the right pigeons to start with.

There are many different ways to an end some very rough some smooth I prefer the latter.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Numbers game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Numbers game?   Numbers game? Empty

Back to top Go down

Numbers game?
Page 1 of 1