Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Leeds & District Amalgamation
YB Season.... - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 3:34 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
YB Season.... - Page 2 Emptyby David Today at 12:38 pm

» Good Morning
YB Season.... - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 11:19 am

» Scandalous .......
YB Season.... - Page 2 Emptyby David Today at 9:41 am

» Weather today
YB Season.... - Page 2 Emptyby David Today at 9:30 am

» Morgan's new job
YB Season.... - Page 2 Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:43 pm

» Another find
YB Season.... - Page 2 Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» birds on loan
YB Season.... - Page 2 Emptyby oldstrain Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Garlic .......
YB Season.... - Page 2 Emptyby Knackered Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:07 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) YB Season.... - Page 2 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 75 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 74 Guests :: 2 Bots

barnie

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.YB Season.... - Page 2 Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
YB Season.... - Page 2 Vote_lcapYB Season.... - Page 2 Voting_barYB Season.... - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
YB Season.... - Page 2 Vote_lcapYB Season.... - Page 2 Voting_barYB Season.... - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222568 messages in 13998 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
YB Season.... - Page 2 Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
YB Season.... - Page 2 Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

YB Season....

Go down 
+4
oldstrain
MISTY
Boosey
David
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

YB Season.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 9:30 am

boosey,
There is nothing more unnatural than the widowhood and darkness systems, you go against nature at your peril, since the vast majority changed to these systems so did all the problems begin and vacination for several possible problems along with preventative and curative remedies became the norm.

I know one well known stud owner who told me if his birds wre not treated woth Baytril every month they would not survive, I never treated my pigeons with anything.

With regard to garlic, my pigeons had the opportunity to drink from the pond or from the drinkers containing garlic, they chose the drinkers,I think the pigeon knows better than any fancier.

Garlic is eaten by many wild animals in particular rabbits, when caught and eaten when the garlic is young the rabbits taste of garlic.

When I read of what some fanciers put down their pigeons throats it is no wonder they have problems.

boosey, just give it a try.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 9:47 am

I am going down that route Misty, my young birds have had nothing but Ropa b and flightboost since they were born. Greens water once or twice a week.
And inoculated once.
De lived once on back of neck.
We will see how they get on after this Saturday, their first race.
Back to top Go down
redrog
Youngbird
Youngbird
redrog

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 12:42 pm

David wrote:
redrog wrote:
David wrote:
what natural anti-bacterial would you use Darren...?
I use fennel, grab it from supermarket, good for crop cleaning

thanks for the info r/rog, is this made into tea ...?
you can buy fennel tea but I just make my own leave it over night in saucepan then dilute it in the drinkers, stinks of liquorice so birds do have to get used to it, mine have it as y/b so they brought up on it, it is a good crop cleaner and totally natural Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 5:16 pm

Around 60 odds years ago we used to make numerous concoctions, using Johnsons iron tonic, mallases, etc; also many herbs and vegitables etc.

Then the penny dropped, to attain the best health feed the correct food containing all the basics necessary to enable the pigeon to carry out that required of it.

The wild birds fly thousands of miles and never visit a commercial enterprise.

Get a pigeon in good health feed for the task asked and give it the best motivation the love of home and BINGO, the latter is the most important regarding winning races if that is your sole concern.

But then there is always an alternative, use the pigeons as robots and eventually ruin both their health and longgivity as the present trend proves.

The fasnciers who first formed the sport would not be interested in it's present form, anddispondent at the methods adopted by some fanciers.

Sad, so very, very sad.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 5:19 pm

Around 60 odds years ago we used to make numerous concoctions, using Johnsons iron tonic, mallases, etc; also many herbs and vegitables etc.

Then the penny dropped, to attain the best health feed the correct food containing all the basics necessary to enable the pigeon to carry out that required of it.

The wild birds fly thousands of miles and never visit a commercial enterprise.

Get a pigeon in good health feed for the task asked and give it the best motivation the love of home and BINGO, the latter is the most important regarding winning races if that is your sole concern.

But then there is always an alternative, use the pigeons as robots and eventually ruin both their health and longgivity as the present trend proves.

The fasnciers who first formed the sport would not be interested in it's present form, anddispondent at the methods adopted by some fanciers.

Sad, so very, very sad.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 5:21 pm

I`m hoping your theory s right misty, my ybs do not fly for hours like some fanciers do.......instead they are left out for around 5 or 6 hours and they come and go as they please, going off for a while then coming home, they do this all day, so I`m hoping its doing some good.

time will tell I suppose, will pigeons roosting in a tree and pleasing them selves make it as racers .... Question Question Question Suspect
Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 5:38 pm

I think for long distance that’s ok David, I’m not so sure about sprinters.
Time will tell.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2018 3:34 am

David wrote:
I`m hoping your theory s right misty, my ybs do not fly for hours like some fanciers do.......instead they are left out for around 5 or 6 hours and they come and go as they please, going off for a while then coming home, they do this all day, so I`m hoping its doing some good.

time will tell I suppose, will pigeons roosting in a tree and pleasing them selves make it as racers .... Question Question Question Suspect
Not a problem David Wink Wink as long Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes as you can get them out of those trees bounce bounce come race day etc Smile Smile. cheers & from another tree dweller type Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I wish you all the best as such Smile Smile.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2018 1:40 pm

This is why my birds (YBS) are out at 6.30 am. Cooler. 8.40 now and still not back.

YB Season.... - Page 2 000_0523
Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2018 7:53 pm

Blimey Hal, if your cooker breaks down you can throw a couple of eggs on the hood of your pick up. sunny
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 12:50 am

Note on methods people use. It is whatever works best for them. I stick with 'natural' approach because it is much simpler for me. Obviously cheaper! But natural is what? Pigeons do not race themselves in the wild! People send them. So racing itself is unnatural to the birds.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 1:12 am

Boosey wrote:
Blimey Hal, if your cooker breaks down you can throw a couple of eggs on the hood of your pick up. sunny
Don't worry about the cooking issue Boosey Wink Wink I suggest. Prey his air conditioning system works there Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes or poor old Hal  bounce  bounce  may just be the one being cooked etc Smile Smile.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 3:05 pm

Knackered wrote:
David wrote:

Not a problem David Wink Wink as long Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes as you can get them out of those trees bounce bounce come race day etc Smile Smile. cheers & from another tree dweller type Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I wish you all the best as such Smile Smile.

always had you down as a sloth type oz lol! so no surprise here that your a tree dweller ,regards garlic and wild animals misty yes I agree some wild animals do indeed eat garlic but rabbits and other burrowers I have yet to see a pigeon eat garlic they are more akin to berries etc.. indeed I have seen them in the elderberry tree and would think it a mild purge for them aswell as a food source,now regards throwing crap down pigeons throats and silly comments about widowhood and darkness all I can say is that it is often remarked down the club that EVERY race my birds are sent to they are in show condition from 1st to last race ,I will care for my pigeons the way I see fit and wont have such rubbish comments about the way I fly ie widowhood and darkness ,I have neighbours to consider and a family to spend time with and for the last time I don't have the time or carelessness to let pigeons do what the hell they like ie open loft ,I like sprint middle racing and I like a plan I don't like distance racing and wont be made to feel i am not doing right by my pigeons ,i value a lot of your comments but we all cant do as we please else the council would come down on you and when they get there teeth in their hard to shake off so best not rock the boat and consider those around you atb
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 4:34 pm

2nd toss today. Early morning. 20 miles. They were back 4 minutes after I pulled
in. So all is well..
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 9:35 pm

good to hear hal 1st toss for ours next week
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 9:55 pm

same here Darren, starting mine Monday my self, then on with club training hopefully.......hoping to enter the 3rd race.
Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 11:29 pm

Sent 5 to Peterborough 75 miles for their first YB race.
Good luck to everyone sending this weekend.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 1:37 am

Good luck to all shipping. Last old bird race has been moved a day. Many thunderstorms in the area. I have finished flying with old birds anyway.
Fortunately had my young out 2nd toss as stated. August 4 our first YB race. I do hope to get them to the same stage few more times. Does not matter if I do or not.
From previous experience 20 miles a few times will suffice. However, most of the young birds range for 2 hours or more. Obviously they know the way home. Have strays come in the loft also. Just let them out with mine. They go home eventually. Actually with a head count basketing the young this morning have all still here except the one I killed with a busted leg. My goal was to cut down drastically. Old and young. So far getting to be a challenge.
Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 8:00 am

Should be ok if they’re ranging for 2 hours Hal, flying for fun. They will be fit as fiddles.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 8:58 am

good luck for today steve our first race is next week
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 9:29 am

oldstrain,
We all have our opinions, mine I base on experience and facts.

For the fanciers who has everything sorted and are happy with what they do, good.

I try to offer alternatives I know work and are far better for the pigeons well being and their natural life.

To take just couple or so of your comments, you can paint a car up to look a million dollars, just as wth a little seed etc, you can put bloom on a pigeon, but you cannot tell what is undr the cars bonnet nor what the chassis state is in etc;

As for putting rubbish down a pigeons throat, there is at least 200 available, aids to win, that the commercial boys advocate putting down a pigeons throat, are you saying they are all of benifit to a pigeons well being?.

The widowhood system is as unatural as one could go relative to the pigeons natural life and I know fanciers who keep widowhood hens in little boxes and never actually let them out, just use them for the system, as close to a Robot as is possible.

I am well aware that some fanciers will not be able to give their pigeons total freedom, I have been very fortunate that our neighbours and we have always had a live and let live policy and never a wrong word for over 45 years in the present location, but not having the same happy situation does not mean one should not adopt a policy of pigeon first fancier second.

The fact is that a very simple and easily participated in sport where success can be obtained by simple means has been complicated as much as possible for commercial reasons and will be it's ultimate downfall.

Regards.....

Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 10:08 am

no you cant see inside the bird but can you,  the all year round health of your pigeons should and will tell you if you are doing right by them especially over a number of years,what else is there to go on ,I have seen some awful natural set ups with pigeons in poor health hanging about the roofs allday upsetting the neighbours you cant just say go natural and all will be well yes it is a way but I don't think it fair to say widow is cruel feck me what about sending a bird in a basket for 5 days down to Barcelona and letting it fly 800 miles thats cruel to me but I keep me mouth shut else I would be a hypocrite,i don't try and tell people how to race or keep their birds but I will try and help them if something is beneficial for the pigeons based on my own experiences and nothing else,regarding 200 products I would say much more and that 99% is rubbish I like to use a few herbal remedies and nothing more than plenty air space and well ventilated dry lofts and good clean corn atb
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 1:13 pm

oldstrain,
Agree with you 100% regarding bad fanciers and no respect for either neighbours or their own pigeons, I have seen similar situations and also bad practice by widowhood flyers also.

I do not doubt for one minute that you have the best interests of your pigeons at heart but it is those that do not that cause most of the problems.

How fanciers have allowed a simple sport to become so seemingly complicated in many ways is beyond me.

I feel one of the main problems is the chop and change scenario, many fanciers never giving the pigeons they have a proper chance to show their merit but chop and change both pigeons and treatment, they hear Jack uses X and they try it, then Bill tells them he used Y and they try it which ends in nothing but mixed up method not worthy of the name system, and with pigeons constitution put to extreems that cannot possibly be beneficial in the long run.

You can put high octane fuel in a car not meant to use it, for a very short time the car may go faster than that intended by the manufacturer, but within a very short time the car and engine would be useless., the car even with the high octane fuel would still have a limit to it's capabilities.

I would not change the system I used which cost very little, gave the pigeons a natural life and myself more pleasure than one could expect for so little effort.

But old age does have it's problems and when you cannot do the right thing by the pigeons that you have always done to give them less would negate all that went before, so one had to go by present circumstances, my one real sadness is the fact that the opportunity to have an almost lifetime of immense pleasure from being involved with our feathered friends may be denied future generations.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 6:00 pm

fair comment misty ...I agree a lot chop and change too quick and try all the potions and believe the hype that goes with them the less you tamper the better atb
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 12:38 am

If future generations are not interested (they are in many taking up the sport other countries) then screw them. Why flog a dead horse?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: YB Season....   YB Season.... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

YB Season....
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next