Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Genetics while breeding Emptyby barnie Today at 7:14 pm

» escaped birds return
Genetics while breeding Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 6:37 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Genetics while breeding Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 3:13 pm

» Good Morning
Genetics while breeding Emptyby barnie Today at 11:35 am

» good luck weekend
Genetics while breeding Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:05 am

» Scandalous .......
Genetics while breeding Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
Genetics while breeding Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
Genetics while breeding Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Genetics while breeding Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:25 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Genetics while breeding 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 100 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 99 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Genetics while breeding Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Genetics while breeding Vote_lcapGenetics while breeding Voting_barGenetics while breeding Vote_rcap 
David
Genetics while breeding Vote_lcapGenetics while breeding Voting_barGenetics while breeding Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222595 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Genetics while breeding Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Genetics while breeding Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Genetics while breeding

Go down 
+3
oldstrain
MISTY
tanveerhbaig
7 posters
AuthorMessage
tanveerhbaig
Chipping
Chipping
tanveerhbaig

Genetics while breeding Empty
PostSubject: Genetics while breeding   Genetics while breeding EmptySat Mar 07, 2020 1:55 pm

Hi,
I have studied genetics a bit, real basic Smile as a summary , in pigeons ,female is the one who decide offspring gender. So if male produced , 50% father(and grand parents) and 50% mother(grand parents) attributes included to him. if female produced 50% father(and grand parents) and W(sex chromosome) given to her. now in female case , it seems that we can judge by consider father pedigree. This may be reason that males are ever sold at higher price than females.

Science has explored color chromosome and we can judge color and patterns but performance genes like LDHA is still mystery.

I don't want to discuss color, as we know it is sex linked. But I want to understand importance of female (specially while considering performance) . To me what I have understood male takes important and major role on breeding. But I am confuse (after studying genetics) how much female can part in good smart off springs Smile

Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.pakpipa.com
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Genetics while breeding   Genetics while breeding EmptySat Mar 07, 2020 3:30 pm

Me thinks you are making a mistake spending time attempting to understand genetics with regard to breeding winning pigeons.

The only way is to breed from performance pigeons or proven breeders and they come in all shapes sizes and colours.

Just look at the human race and where the best of all of everything comes from, no possible means of pre determination.

Just enjoy the sport.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Genetics while breeding   Genetics while breeding EmptySat Mar 07, 2020 7:17 pm

yes agree with you misty ,time would be better spent on studying another aspect of pigeons ...put best to best and hope for the best
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Genetics while breeding   Genetics while breeding EmptySat Mar 07, 2020 11:38 pm

MISTY wrote:
Me thinks you are making a mistake spending time attempting to understand genetics with regard to breeding winning pigeons.

The only way is to breed from performance pigeons or proven breeders and they come in all shapes sizes and colours.

Just look at the human race and where the best of all of everything comes from, no possible means of  pre determination.

Just enjoy the sport.

Regards.
Me thinks the same etc Smile Smile Never could quite get my head around the whole issue I'm affraid unfortunately Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Same as eye sign as such bounce bounce to a degree. End of the day Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I just put it all down to me being rather dumb some what, sadly Very Happy Very Happy. cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada80
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Genetics while breeding   Genetics while breeding EmptySun Mar 08, 2020 12:28 pm

Mona Lisa died few days ago at 13 years old. A Mike Ganus pigeon that bred Combine winners etc etc for very many people. According to Mike one of a handful of superior breeders world wide past and present. I agree with him. Point is, who is smart emough to pick a superior breeder without testing them first? Not I!
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Genetics while breeding   Genetics while breeding EmptySun Mar 08, 2020 8:00 pm

tanveerhbaig wrote:
Hi,
I have studied genetics a bit, real basic Smile as a summary , in pigeons ,female is the one who decide offspring gender. So if male produced , 50% father(and grand parents) and 50% mother(grand parents) attributes included to him. if female produced 50% father(and grand parents) and W(sex chromosome)  given to her. now in female case , it seems that we can judge by consider father pedigree. This may be reason that males are ever sold at higher price than females.

Science has explored color chromosome and we can judge color and patterns but performance genes like LDHA is still mystery.

I don't want to discuss color, as we know it is sex linked. But I want to understand importance of female (specially while considering performance) . To me what I have understood male takes important and major role on breeding. But I am confuse (after studying genetics) how much female can part in good smart off springs Smile

Thanks
Best if confused etc Tanveer Smile Smile you maybe just throw it in the too hard basket & just concern yourself with much more important type issues. For me Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I'm happy to say its a 50/50 split lol! lol! lol! & leave it at that come the end of the day bounce bounce thou I may be wrong as such Wink Wink. One thing I do know Smile Smile without the hen factor scenario, not much would find it's way into the race loft I suggest/suspect Wink Wink. Final word, one of the best flyers I've known & trained with together here, was into how race horses were bred at the highest level. Which in basic terms, suggests thou the female side has some importance its the stallion factor which plays a much more important part on average  Smile  Smile maybe.     cheers
Back to top Go down
tanveerhbaig
Chipping
Chipping
tanveerhbaig

PostSubject: Re: Genetics while breeding   Genetics while breeding EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 8:53 am

Thank you all friends for valuable input. I do agree that race test is the only thing that can decide what we have breed and from whom Smile just wanted to understand how other colleagues thinks Smile
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Genetics while breeding   Genetics while breeding EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 10:46 am

Good few years ago I was told old Louis Maserella was a master at producing breeders of winners using genetics, or similar scientific principals. This was from a top fancier, winner of 2 x 1st up north combine himself and also bred the sire of another 1st UNC.
I guess if you have a few thousand birds you are always going to breed something good along the way, but I do feel Louella produced more top producers back in the day.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Genetics while breeding   Genetics while breeding EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 12:03 pm

Many a good loft owes a lot of success to Louella, that's for sure and a fact.
Our second (British) international winner was from Louella's. And his others. Indeed he, like many top fanciers, still buys in each year.
In the 'Fair auctions 'where and when the Buyer of the winning lot is told who bought it, Many times after the room, and phone bids have ceased it is announced 'Bought by Mark Gilbert'! True.
In fact at a moot I was involved with, he told the fanciers there that when he started up for himself, away from his dad, he said First thing was placing droppings in the new lofts, well before any birds. then I went to Louella and bought children, double grand children off... well, well known distance names, and bred from them. He won Pau with such a bird. And many others!
Back to top Go down
tanveerhbaig
Chipping
Chipping
tanveerhbaig

PostSubject: Re: Genetics while breeding   Genetics while breeding EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 1:34 pm

Barnie, genetics is really good topic to study.For colors yes one can get required results , but for performance it is complicated. LDHA is a gene associated to performance , but as per science one can't predict it. maybe in future science might able to crack it.
As it is true that both champions can't always produce champions. It is all about observation I think. For example when we breed , we try to observe physical traits among off springs. e.g. 3 out of 10 off springs has white line near eye and they performed great, that would be my guess Smile So I might take only those off springs who has my guess Smile

barnie wrote:
Good few years ago I was told old Louis Maserella was a master at producing breeders of winners using genetics, or similar scientific principals. This was from a top fancier, winner of 2 x 1st up north combine himself and also bred the sire of another 1st UNC.
I guess if you have a few thousand birds you are always going to breed something good along the way, but I do feel Louella produced more top producers back in the day.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Genetics while breeding   Genetics while breeding EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 3:30 pm

For the ordinary fancier genetics is useless, you have to have an in depth knowlege of exactly what the gene represents, how to get the winning genes together and then they may be in a useless body.

Race horses are an example of restricted breeding based on winning genes, over many years.

Of the thousands bred based on the gene factor how many were champions?.

Many years ago I had a long chat with the late Mr Massarella, how the family started, allotments, ice cream etc;

Very revealing and in particular regarding pigeons and genes were never mentioned, performance was.

Too much amateur and totally irrelevant TOMMY ROT involved in our sport.

If there was any certain method it would knock all the pleasure out of the sport.

It is the uncertainty and anticipation that makes the sport what it is.

With all the nonsense spouted there is little wonder any prospective new comer is put off.

Of the many outstanding pigeons over the years there will be no pattern other than a cock and hen being involved and both from every kind of situation.

Yes too many COCK AND BULL stories in our sport instead of promoting it as a very interesting and rewarding sport if approached in the right manner.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Genetics while breeding   Genetics while breeding EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 3:37 pm

Believe China persuaded??? some of their top athletes to get together and breed hundreds of champions.

Full of WINNING GENES.

Result, still waiting for any that could fly a kite.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Genetics while breeding   Genetics while breeding EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 4:20 pm

Fly a kite eh lol … mind there are a few World class athletes... but none from that 'Full of WINNING GENES' pool lol.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Genetics while breeding   Genetics while breeding EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 10:55 pm

MISTY wrote:
For the ordinary fancier genetics is useless, you have to have an in depth knowlege of exactly what the gene represents, how to get the winning genes together and then they may be in a useless body.

Race horses are an example of restricted breeding based on  winning genes, over many years.

Of the thousands bred based on the gene factor how many were champions?.

Many years ago I had a long chat with the late Mr Massarella, how the family started, allotments, ice cream etc;

Very revealing and in particular regarding pigeons and genes were never mentioned, performance was.

Too much amateur and totally irrelevant TOMMY ROT involved in our sport.

If there was any certain method it would knock all the pleasure out of the sport.  

It is the uncertainty and anticipation that makes the sport what it is.

With all the nonsense spouted there is little wonder any prospective new comer is put off.

Of the many outstanding pigeons over the years there will be no pattern other than a cock and hen being involved and both from every kind of situation.

Yes too many COCK AND BULL stories in our sport instead of promoting it as a very interesting and rewarding sport if approached in the right manner.

Regards.  

The horse racing industry is a rather fascinating industry from my perspective etc Misty Smile Smile. Talk about pigeon flyers being dreamer types Wink Wink the horse tragic mob take it to a much higher level for what I've seen/saw & followed type of thing down here Very Happy Very Happy. cheers flower afro
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Genetics while breeding   Genetics while breeding EmptyTue Mar 10, 2020 10:05 am

Yes, cheats in Pigeons etc.
But 'Horses' legalise most of theirs's.
The money involved is colossal. Injections. Blood packing etc. If not 'Legal' then an appropriate blind eye is turned eh!
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Genetics while breeding   Genetics while breeding EmptyTue Mar 10, 2020 6:27 pm

Daz wrote:
Yes, cheats in Pigeons etc.
But 'Horses' legalise most of theirs's.
The money involved is colossal. Injections. Blood packing  etc. If not 'Legal' then an appropriate blind eye is turned eh!
Smile Smile Must be fair here etc Wink Wink & say on average our horse racing industry down here is well run for the most part as such. Many high profile trainers have been banned (Weir/Moody) over time for doing the wrong type thing along with some top jockeys also Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes. More banned on the horse racing side Wink Wink than has ever been banned on the pigeon side of things I suggest Daz Smile Smile. Which now lol! lol! lol! brings me to what I call the on/off switch which many pigeon flyers have trouble finding sadly I've found. Have my favourite horse trainers here, one is a ex plumber Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes walks around now in $1000 type suits with all the bling attached Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes. Had a champion horse once called Apache Cat etc Wink Wink the other trainer, well Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes wouldn't mention his name Smile Smile as he buys his suits at the local op shop I suspect Smile Smile but I admire him for how he treats his horses on race day here bounce bounce as he always parades around in the parade yard before the races with his horses to get a final feel of how they are feeling under the pressure of race day, instead of sitting up in the stand with all the money pretender types Very Happy Very Happy like the $1000 man. Then, we have my favourite jockey Smile Smile (1000 odd winners) as serious as one could be when legged up on a horse in racing mode, but when finished applying his trade he just switches the on/off button & enters another world of realism to take away the pressure of his job type of thing. Named Chris Symons & he has a farm of animals of all descriptions called The Funky Farm etc lol! lol! lol!. Final word  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes has a pet crocodile there  Very Happy  Very Happy now wearing 20 odd stitches thou in his arm  bounce  bounce unfortunately, for looking the wrong way type of thing  Wink  Wink. cheers flower afro
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Genetics while breeding   Genetics while breeding Empty

Back to top Go down

Genetics while breeding
Page 1 of 1