Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Wild Bird Pellets  Emptyby David Yesterday at 6:18 pm

» escaped birds return
Wild Bird Pellets  Emptyby David Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» Weather today
Wild Bird Pellets  Emptyby David Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Wild Bird Pellets  Emptyby David Yesterday at 12:01 pm

» good luck weekend
Wild Bird Pellets  Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 2:24 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Wild Bird Pellets  Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

» Scandalous .......
Wild Bird Pellets  Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
Wild Bird Pellets  Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
Wild Bird Pellets  Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Wild Bird Pellets  20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 123 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 123 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Wild Bird Pellets  Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Wild Bird Pellets  Vote_lcapWild Bird Pellets  Voting_barWild Bird Pellets  Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Wild Bird Pellets  Vote_lcapWild Bird Pellets  Voting_barWild Bird Pellets  Vote_rcap 
Knackered
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222655 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Wild Bird Pellets  Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Wild Bird Pellets  Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Wild Bird Pellets

Go down 
+5
halcanada81
oldstrain
barnie
MISTY
David
9 posters
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptyWed Nov 18, 2020 10:01 am

got some wild bird mealworm / suet pellets ........says on packet full of energy, would it be safe to add a few to the grit and mineral mix i give them daily ?

Wild Bird Pellets  Img_1411

Wild Bird Pellets  Img_1410
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptyWed Nov 18, 2020 10:15 am

David, if your pigeons are fit and healthy ???????.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptyWed Nov 18, 2020 10:43 am

try them and their droppings will tell you the answer David......
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptyWed Nov 18, 2020 11:34 am

sorry not for me too much fat content for idle pigeons
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptyWed Nov 18, 2020 11:50 am

The only time pigeons will over eat and the wrong stuff is if there is no consistency in the feeding programme and chopping and changing does not help.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada81
Hatchling
Hatchling

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptyWed Nov 18, 2020 1:54 pm

If they do not like them will not eat them. Cannot see any harm.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptyWed Nov 18, 2020 1:58 pm

You know, a simple fact is pigeons will tell you what 'Feed' they want, or are lacking. Spread a small mix before them and watch.  
First gone. ... replenish just that.. Done each day, one sees the different preferences.
Agreed they don't know what we have in store for them the coming week or so, granted.

i, can't personally, see the sense in starving a bird to get it to eat what it doesn't want. The birds is saying 'No'! can't be any good for it surely!
May well eat it a day or two later etc.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptyWed Nov 18, 2020 2:25 pm

Can see that method needing a lot of peanuts Daz, what they like best may not always be in their best interests.

Think common sense is the answer to most situations.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptyWed Nov 18, 2020 6:06 pm

Well Peanuts are widely over used and shouldn't be given much. Just a selective 2- 3 every so often.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptyWed Nov 18, 2020 6:45 pm

Daz, would suggest you just look up peanuts for pigeons.

I did long ago and based my opinions on the results of doing so.

Peanuts are the best feed in many cases, some fanciers feed all peanuts before going to a race etc;

Mine had peanuts every day in their feed, about 5% and given a treat they are the best source of giving a pigeon the energy for daily living and in particular distance racing.

The experts ??? also recommend not chopping and changing the pigeons feed which I also took on board.

Many roads to Rome I like the shortest way.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptyWed Nov 18, 2020 7:01 pm

Birds a bird small or big can't see any problems with them July st the fat part of it as Darren said
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptyWed Nov 18, 2020 7:17 pm

barnie wrote:
try them and their droppings will tell you the answer David......
That's my way of thinking etc Barnie Smile Smile learn nothing as such Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes thinking & wondering if you should do something come the end. Have a thing here for the garden, called Charlie Carp pellets Wink Wink & if I was desperate bounce bounce & still racing I could maybe imagine myself giving them a go for the knowledge/interest factor for myself & also the birds  Smile  Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptyWed Nov 18, 2020 8:35 pm

Think one of the main problems is the manner you keep your pigeons.

With an open loft and the pigeons fed a good solid diet as much as they want will fly maybe 300 or 400 miles a day around the loft.

When I had pigeons on Olivers Mount fed them in the morning and some were still .flying several hours afterwards.

They fly any excess off at there leisure and become accostomed to flying for hours not a couple and then fastened up and kept RESTING for most of their life.

When transfered to garden they were up and down all day long would take off for a couple of hours come back and up and down from loft to garden never still for long.

These pigeons bodies get used to eating and flying off any excess weight, they know what is best for them by natural instinct.

You cannot compare pigeons kept in that manner with ROBOTS in any way shape or form.

THe more artificial you go the more problems you have, Mother Nature will win every time.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
littlehen
Hatchling
Hatchling
littlehen

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptyFri Nov 20, 2020 10:11 am

oldstrain wrote:
sorry not for me too much fat content for idle pigeons

I agree with Oldstrain on this one, Pigeons confined during winter dont need them, on the other hand wild birds out trying to survive the winter / cold would benefit from them . JMO
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptyFri Nov 20, 2020 10:19 am

What a nice change to hear from you littlehen, the more involved with dfferent opinions the better.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptyFri Nov 20, 2020 11:00 am

yes, good to see you posting a few replies little hen, havnt seen you on the forum for quite a while........ cheers
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptyFri Nov 20, 2020 11:57 am

Daz, would suggest you just look up peanuts for pigeons.

Had- have some and many times.
Not least Wild Bird peanuts.
Beside thought shop bought were more safe, and then too

Had several good flyers tell me... just the odd one.
At a moot with 2 Vets of renown, and other 'Names' consensus was Not many many. Have read as such too.
and yet, many say they excel via them.
Back to top Go down
halcanada81
Hatchling
Hatchling

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptyFri Nov 20, 2020 3:26 pm

Add wild bird mix to my feed. Peanuts, a few. Gets so cold here it helps them.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptyFri Nov 20, 2020 4:05 pm

used to feed peanuts then reverted to sunflower hearts ,mind you they be yer best freind for a peanut eh
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptyFri Nov 20, 2020 6:27 pm

Have no idea what goes off now in harvesting corn etc: Hal, but I
used to get the seeds etc; from when the combine came to thrash the corn, left it for the pigeons to decide the good from the bad, but that was 70 odd years ago when things were sligtly different, but could not get a better mix of wild birdfood but only available when combine came and that could be anytime.

Slightly different now.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  EmptySat Nov 21, 2020 10:38 am

used to give my birds a few peanuts at one time, made them very tame .....i heard too many isnt good for them, and they go mouldy tretty quickly ....???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wild Bird Pellets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild Bird Pellets    Wild Bird Pellets  Empty

Back to top Go down

Wild Bird Pellets
Page 1 of 1