Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
dust and more dust Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 9:39 am

» escaped birds return
dust and more dust Emptyby Knackered Today at 9:22 am

» good luck weekend
dust and more dust Emptyby Knackered Today at 9:16 am

» York Road & District Results 2024
dust and more dust Emptyby Knackered Today at 9:10 am

» Good Morning
dust and more dust Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 8:15 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
dust and more dust Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

» Scandalous .......
dust and more dust Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
dust and more dust Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
dust and more dust Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) dust and more dust 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 107 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 106 Guests :: 1 Bot

barnie

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.dust and more dust Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
dust and more dust Vote_lcapdust and more dust Voting_bardust and more dust Vote_rcap 
David
dust and more dust Vote_lcapdust and more dust Voting_bardust and more dust Vote_rcap 
Knackered
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222665 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
dust and more dust Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
dust and more dust Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

dust and more dust

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

dust and more dust Empty
PostSubject: dust and more dust   dust and more dust EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 9:55 am

Thought I'd brush down some of the ledges and tops of perches, where the dust builds up. I never took much notice till I started the job earlier I can't remember the last time it was done, probably during the moult.
Had to give up, even with a mask on its choking and blinding me and the birds. Must be quarter inch thick in places. Most of it will be very fine diatomaceous earth which I use a lot. At least I shouldn't have lice or mites on me now Laughing

Regardless ,can't be healthy might look around for a second hand industrial type vacuum, run that over on weekends. Or catch a warmer dry day and wash it all down. Always plenty to do isn't there?
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

dust and more dust Empty
PostSubject: Re: dust and more dust   dust and more dust EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 10:43 am

have a look at tool station or screwfix colin they do a cheap powerful one that would be ideal,i use an old henry vaccum ,of course alot of modern vaccums have had the power taken down same as the light bulbs,dont get a hand held i have tried several and total waste of time atb
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

dust and more dust Empty
PostSubject: Re: dust and more dust   dust and more dust EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 11:15 am

I used a water spray Dave. Spray on the ceiling, and watched the spots fall lol. Soon hit bottom.
Did same with deep litter. I changed my 'Deep litter every 4-6 -8 weeks or so, depending how I felt.
Would use a shovel straight into a sack. Left some of course. Not a lot. Scatter Garden lime over the floor. Some times rubbed in. Some times used a fine spray. Stopped it coming up - Used Garden Lime like paint and covered every thing at least yearly. - Then would put about 6 inches over the floor of deep litter. Always fresh smelling. Some times I'd just go in when they were out and put a fine spray all around. Would be well settled quickly. Never had a problem with dud rising as such. But fit and conditioned birds scatter a fine bloom from their' feathers. This gets down you, and will/ can cause health problems.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

dust and more dust Empty
PostSubject: Re: dust and more dust   dust and more dust EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 11:54 am

Never heard of diatomaceos earth until Hal mentioned it, never heard of anyone using it in the early days.

But like Daz I used lime both in deep litter and painted both nest boxes and perches every year with lime paint.

Sharp sand and lime deep litter, not garden lime but live builders lime, only added lime when the deep litter was turned over, same deep litter for over 40 years, changed from one loft to another once, droppings on the deep litter absorbed, and became part of the deep litter. 

Also dusted perches with lime and just rubbed it in with my hand.

Of course you have to use common sense when using lime like anything else.

Never any dust problems, loft completely open to the elements but protected from damp and rain etc;

Never any health problems after a couple of inictial problems that were sorted out.

Would never attempt to tell others what to do but would have loved to see Davids new boxes with a good thik lime painting (SORRY DAVID IN ANTICIPATION)

Would never myself have tolerated a dusty loft.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

dust and more dust Empty
PostSubject: Re: dust and more dust   dust and more dust EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 2:56 pm

oldstrain wrote:
have a look at tool station or screwfix colin they do a cheap powerful one that would be ideal,i use an old henry vaccum ,of course alot of modern vaccums have had the power taken down same as the light bulbs,dont get a hand held i have tried several and total waste of time atb

I'll try get one through work discounted darren, thanks
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

dust and more dust Empty
PostSubject: Re: dust and more dust   dust and more dust EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 3:56 pm

I saw sand, on floors. Sweeps easy etc. and does a decent job where and when it was intended and used. I personally couldn't get on with it ... the reason being I could never get any dry etc.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

dust and more dust Empty
PostSubject: Re: dust and more dust   dust and more dust EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 5:51 pm

It was the life in the builders lime that dried the sand and and droppings DAZ.

Garden lime a waste of time for deep litter.

Worked  as wieghman for a lime quary as a fill in for a while.

Sent lime to all the steel works here and in Scotland by rail to flux the steel.

Once put a piece of burnt lime, , not much bigger than a  tennis ball into a plastic bucket of water and it boiled the water and melted part of the bucket.

Also farmers use it for I believe for certain soil conditions know I did sell some to farmers as a ligitimate side line.

Know some say it is dangerous so is anything not handled properly.

Had a large waste bin just outside the loft to keep the lime in and just used it as and when.

Also the sand must be sharp sand.

When the present virus problem is over I will get some old photographs of my lofts if my son shows me how to do so, I have no idea how.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

dust and more dust Empty
PostSubject: Re: dust and more dust   dust and more dust EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 6:06 pm

mines the same on horizontal surfaces colin, thick of pink dust .......obviously pink minerals, so ive reduced to amount in the hope of reducing build up.

old loft wasnt like this scratch
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

dust and more dust Empty
PostSubject: Re: dust and more dust   dust and more dust EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 6:15 pm

David wrote:
mines the same on horizontal surfaces colin, thick of pink dust .......obviously pink minerals, so ive reduced to amount in the hope of reducing build up.

old loft wasnt like this scratch

I just been hinting for a Henry hoover for birthday coming up David. Better than a few pair of socks and a jumper or something Very Happy I know it's the finer dust particles that you can't see which causes the real damage to your lungs, especially if you have any allergies.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

dust and more dust Empty
PostSubject: Re: dust and more dust   dust and more dust EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 6:31 pm

Surely if you can get dust in your lungs in a loft so can the pigeons ????.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

dust and more dust Empty
PostSubject: Re: dust and more dust   dust and more dust EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 6:40 pm

yes I would say so misty
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

dust and more dust Empty
PostSubject: Re: dust and more dust   dust and more dust EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 6:53 pm

yes thats what i think, if its dusty for the fancier, it must be bad for the pigeons in the loft 24/7
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

dust and more dust Empty
PostSubject: Re: dust and more dust   dust and more dust Empty

Back to top Go down

dust and more dust
Page 1 of 1