Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Bricklayer wanted... Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 10:36 pm

» Good Morning
Bricklayer wanted... Emptyby David Today at 9:42 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Bricklayer wanted... Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:33 am

» York Road & District Results 2024
Bricklayer wanted... Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:32 am

» PR For Pigeons
Bricklayer wanted... Emptyby David Sun May 26, 2024 8:41 pm

» APHA Forms .......
Bricklayer wanted... Emptyby David Fri May 24, 2024 12:03 pm

» Young Pigeon Fanciers
Bricklayer wanted... Emptyby David Wed May 22, 2024 12:08 am

» King removes Patronage
Bricklayer wanted... Emptyby David Wed May 22, 2024 12:02 am

» come join us
Bricklayer wanted... Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Bricklayer wanted... 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 33 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 33 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Bricklayer wanted... Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Bricklayer wanted... Vote_lcapBricklayer wanted... Voting_barBricklayer wanted... Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Bricklayer wanted... Vote_lcapBricklayer wanted... Voting_barBricklayer wanted... Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 223007 messages in 14009 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Bricklayer wanted... Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Bricklayer wanted... Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Bricklayer wanted...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

Bricklayer wanted... Empty
PostSubject: Bricklayer wanted...   Bricklayer wanted... EmptySat Apr 17, 2021 6:05 pm

Been on all day putting a retaining wall in garden, stop soil slipping towards house. Got me totally worn out Very Happy Not the prettiest job as although I have a go at most jobs I aint no brickie but the wood deck will hide it once that's in place. Heard there's a top bricklayer in Leeds but couldn't afford his hourly rate Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Bricklayer wanted...   Bricklayer wanted... EmptySat Apr 17, 2021 9:42 pm

barnie wrote:
Been on all day putting a retaining wall in garden, stop soil slipping towards house. Got me totally worn out Very Happy  Not the prettiest job as although I have a go at most jobs I aint no brickie but the wood deck will hide it once that's in place. Heard there's a top bricklayer in Leeds but couldn't afford his hourly rate Laughing Laughing

lol! lol! lol!

good that you`ve had a go colin, if it serves its purpose thats all that matters .... cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Bricklayer wanted...   Bricklayer wanted... EmptySat Apr 17, 2021 11:37 pm

barnie wrote:
Been on all day putting a retaining wall in garden, stop soil slipping towards house. Got me totally worn out Very Happy  Not the prettiest job as although I have a go at most jobs I aint no brickie but the wood deck will hide it once that's in place. Heard there's a top bricklayer in Leeds but couldn't afford his hourly rate Laughing Laughing
lol! lol! lol! I actually heard Smile Smile down here  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes the complete opposite etc bounce bounce about that Leeds type brickie Barnie Very Happy Very Happy Laid thousands of bricks in my younger days here with retaining walls, up to 6 ft high around our house. Always pays to have a few weep holes built in I suggest & a good drainage type system behind it for longevity I found Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Bricklayer wanted...   Bricklayer wanted... EmptySun Apr 18, 2021 7:43 am

cheers, good tips knackered
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Bricklayer wanted...   Bricklayer wanted... EmptySun Apr 18, 2021 9:18 am

Although being in the building trade for most of my working life could never put two bricks together that stayed together.

When I see some of the buildings built many years ago it baffles reality how  on earth they were built.

No scaffolding as such, fantastic architecture, and been up for hundreds of years.

Passed a recent building site, all the buildings  the same featureless buildings thrown up for profit.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Bricklayer wanted...   Bricklayer wanted... EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 5:10 pm

exactly misty, older buildings were so much better in a lot of ways, the bricks were better for a start, compared to modern rubbish .....the bricklayers took pride in their work, and the architecture / design with the stonework and brickwork was built to last, now they are thrown up as quick and as cheap as possible, all looking the same which will be lucky to last 50 years, my house was built in 1926 and is a solid construction, i can drill any internal wall to hang a picture, curtain rail etc and it is solid.

i remember when i was an apprentice, an old bricklayer would turn up in a suit, shirt and tie........end of the day he would go home just as clean as when he arrived, while the rest of us would be covered from head to toe in cement Razz Razz lol!
Back to top Go down
halcanada81
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Bricklayer wanted...   Bricklayer wanted... EmptyTue Apr 20, 2021 7:40 pm

I did plastering for Wimpey.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Bricklayer wanted...   Bricklayer wanted... EmptyTue Apr 20, 2021 8:34 pm

halcanada81 wrote:
I did plastering for Wimpey.

i think misty worked for wimpy`s hal, accounts etc ....... study
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Bricklayer wanted...   Bricklayer wanted... EmptyTue Apr 20, 2021 9:32 pm

I worked for Wimpy whose head office was in Geldered Road Leeds.

I worked the value of the overall work done, used prelims when necessary and worked out the bonuses.

Not responsible to Agent but head office, sent results there every week.

Made many friends ( no back handers) many Irish.

Had a bad car accident that necessitated 12 months  off work.

They paid my salary and I felt very ungrateful when I had to move to Scarborough and resign, shortly after returning.

Contacted me  several times after but had taken up running the finances of a  
new building company which I did for over 30 years until taking Garden Leave at  64.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Bricklayer wanted...   Bricklayer wanted... EmptyWed Apr 21, 2021 4:43 pm

are wimpy still operating misty, havnt heard anything of them for years now ......they were one of the major building companies when i was an apprentice, they would send some of their lads on block release with us at building collage, we would all get sent there every few months from all the companies with apprentices.

used to be 4 or was it 5 years we went, un like the 3 month courses they do now, and they say they are qualified ........Razz Razz No study
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Bricklayer wanted...   Bricklayer wanted... EmptyWed Apr 21, 2021 8:24 pm

Long time ago David.

Think they went into partnership and cannot remember the name they changed it to.

The Apprentice Taining Scheme was Government backed the Companies took on apprentices according to how many the company employed overall and every Company had to pay into it and received back according to the number of apprentices they employed.

It was a  two year scheme and there was meetings of company reps to put forward new ideas.

I went as rep to one meeting and could not believe what some of the idiots were saying.

They were putting the emphasis on the best appretices would  be the best educated with the best school results.

I said some of our best tradesmen could hardly spell their name whilst others with a load of good school results could spell brick but not recognise one,and the test  should be pratical not written when deciding who.

Never invited back.

Obviously before your time David but I worked on the Doncaster No Fines high 
rise blocks, the Rossington Housing Estate, The Edlington Housing Estate,
Bank in Sheffield amongst others.

Could not have been treated better by the Company.

Very earlier on appreticeships were 7 years at times.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Bricklayer wanted...   Bricklayer wanted... EmptyWed Apr 21, 2021 11:12 pm

i found that in a lot of cases, the people who got made up to foreman or went into time and motion etc, were crap at laying bricks ........... Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Bricklayer wanted...   Bricklayer wanted... EmptyThu Apr 22, 2021 12:23 am

David wrote:
i found that in a lot of cases, the people who got made up to foreman or went into time and motion etc, were crap at laying bricks ........... Razz Razz Razz
lol! lol! lol! Good with the talk scenario  Wink  Wink I found those types down here David Smile Smile Bloke called Geoff Kennett (typical weasel type politician) closed all our Technical schools back in the later eighties here. New age of computers he said Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad so no longer a requirement to train tradesman types for the future. Truth was Wink Wink he was talking through his arse as he knew there was money to be made selling them all off to the highest bidder as such. Back in my time here, a typical apprenticeship was 5 years with 4 years of weekly schooling, all paid for by the bosses of the day which I was most thankful for. Because after 5 years & a certificate Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I actually become a professor of sh**e lol! lol! lol! of the highest order  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  to a certain degree WinkWink. Now  Smile  Smile which brings me to another memory, back when. My brother here at technical school, was a real smart arse intelligent type  Smile  Smile good at everything & was head hunted by a company called Repco here out of school at the time to grow with the company, which he did  bounce  bounce because he actually married his bosses daughter believe it or not  Smile  Smile . Now  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad back then thou  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes I was actually as dumb as dumb could be  Very Happy  Very Happy & no body would give me a job back when  bounce  bounce until I was fortunately helped in finding a job by Legacy & a man called Holstock, which was an organisation here to help the unfortunate children of returned servicemen at the time that required help of the highest order  Wink  Wink .  cheers
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Bricklayer wanted...   Bricklayer wanted... EmptyThu Apr 22, 2021 6:51 am

4 year apprenticeship back in my day which included 1 full day at tech college and 1 night class till 9pm. Not keen at the time putting them hours in, but it paid off as never been out of work for any length of time. Still do the odd course now, never too old to learn believe me Wink
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Bricklayer wanted...   Bricklayer wanted... EmptyThu Apr 22, 2021 9:26 am

The NCB were the best employers in my early days.

Did 2 years down the pit.

My elder brother went down the mine from leaving school as apprentice electrician.

He had day release to HNC  which he got, then sent to univercity for other qualifications and became Chief Production Engineer.

I had the same chance but did not fancy a life involving going down pits so I opted out and joined  the Army, which finished off my own education, by a number of different courses, in different countries.

Never regreted it, had numerous experiences which I could never have afforded and mates you would be hard to find elsewhere.

One mate in particular got in touch after over  40 years and said he wanted to see me again, he came over with his wife and we had a wonderful time, unfortunatley Graham has passed away but we still keep in n touch with Barbara his wife.

With very few exceptions (losing my wife) I would not have changed myl life
 with anyone.    

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bricklayer wanted...   Bricklayer wanted... Empty

Back to top Go down

Bricklayer wanted...
Page 1 of 1